[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the worst book you've ever read pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: outta time.jpg (3MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
outta time.jpg
3MB, 1936x2592px
what's the worst book you've ever read

pic related
>>
>>8629802
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
House of Leaves

Although maybe it's better to call it the most disappointing

Every single good moment was destroyed by blatantly telling you what dots you should have connected and even worse, by "LE POSTMODERN YOUTH" Truant passages. Johnny's parts of the book are some of the hardest pieces of writing to sit through I have ever come across. Pure garbage. And the book could have been so good, too
>>
>>8629815
You must not have read many books.
>>
>>8629824
I actually enjoyed house of leaves a lot. To me the truant parts were awful for like the first 100 pages or so but after reading all of his mother's letters to him it just got me to think of him differently. Also filtering Johnny's past through his increasingly manic mother's letters to him was narratively interesting to me.
>>
>>8629802

I can't remember the name but I remember the chuck palahniuk book where the protagonist works for a suicide hotline and he meets a girl that's a funeral director.

He ends up becoming some big star and something about a crashing plane.

Horrible book.
>>
>>8629815
This
>>
>>
The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories. Most reviews for it are positive so maybe I'm retarded and missing something, but I really hated reading it.
>>
>>8630123
The letters were fine, I had no problem with them
>>
>>8629802

Revolutionary Road
>>
something by Jeff Abbott probably
>>
>>8629802
I couldn't finish it
>>
>>8630216
The casual vacancy is a lot worse
>>
One Hundred Years of Solitude was torture to get through.

Would have been more effective as a short story or a novella.
>>
Hard Times.
>>
>>8630123
I felt the same way. The whole book is better and easier to understand the second time around. I read it out of the blue one day and I had no clue what was going on in the manuscript parts, with the Johnny parts guiding me along for a bit.

But yeah, a lot of handholding in the narrative.
>>
>>8629802
Y'know, I read a couple of his books and his style and narrators all sounded the same. I read Haunted, and since it was a collection of short stories it actually felt kind of nice, he got to his big "reveal" or point after 20 pages or so per story and moved on, instead of a whole novel of sameness leading to some stupid conclusion.

Then Pygmy came out, I read the synopsis and said "eh..." I was out of my teens by then, and no longer trying to get in the pants of the girl who let me borrow her Chuck P books. So I passed.

When I saw Damned, I read the synopsis and thought to myself "holy shit, is this nigga forreal?" It sounds like some retarded shit from deviantfart or something. I'm sorry you read the whole thing.
>>
File: kek.jpg (31KB, 281x400px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
31KB, 281x400px
Pucko said is gonna be gud. It wasnt.
>>
Thackeray's Vanity Fair.
>>
Noughts and Crosses
>>
File: The_Tale_of_Despereaux.jpg (37KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
The_Tale_of_Despereaux.jpg
37KB, 337x500px
Read this piece of shit in elementary school when it came out. I though it would be like Redwall. I don't even remember what is was about but it sucked.
>>
File: Villain.net.jpg (257KB, 472x725px) Image search: [Google]
Villain.net.jpg
257KB, 472x725px
>>8629802
What, seriously?

Alright; this shit.
>>8631737
Sorry m8, but Redwall sucked.

I loved Despereaux' film though. Mostly because of the art style. And because the princess looked like my crush.
>>
>>8629802
Ive read it when it came out and found it ok, I started reading the second one and stopped after 20 pages because it was just the same. But the thought of the phone callers in hell comes to my mind unusually often, lately while reading divine comedy or myth of sissyphus. So it changed in my head from ok to funny
>>
>>8629802
>>8631760
oh this is the second one, so i didnt read that
>>
>>8630232
How's Secondary School treating you?

We also had to read Handmaid's Tale.
>>
>>8631757
>but Redwall sucked.
Fuck you fantasy got me into reading.

You're right though.
>>
>>8630175
I also can't remember the name of mine and it's a Palahniuk book. A friend lent me his copy and he seemed so excited about it that I felt I had to read it.

It's about a pretty woman who has her jaw shot off. It's terrible.
>>
>>8631765
>Fuck you fantasy got me into reading.
Nothing wrong with liking the stuff you liked as a kid. HP got me into reading.

Hell, there's nothing wrong with liking bad stuff. It just, is bad.
>>
>>8631850
Invisible Monsters
>>
>>8630175
>>8631850
Same here, I read a Palahniuk book that I can't remember the name of now and it was abysmal.

It was about a married therapist who's dissatisfied with her marriage who starts going out on 'play dates' with her schizophrenic patients and then taking them to hotels and gouges their eyes out. Terrible book.
>>
File: LostSymbol.jpg (115KB, 200x305px) Image search: [Google]
LostSymbol.jpg
115KB, 200x305px
Ugh
>>
File: cover.jpg (2MB, 1485x2348px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2MB, 1485x2348px
This fucking book. I couldn't bare more than a couple of pages I was infuriated with the banal wording. Like a fucking 11 year old trying to be quirky and smart.
>>
>>8631910
>He expects a translated book to be funny
>>
>>8631918
>Read it in native language
>>
>>8631938
The swedish movie (which is why the book got famous) > the swedish book > power gap > the english translation
>>
Rooftop Soliloquy by Roman Payne

In retrospect, I'm actually impressed with how shitty it is.
>>
>>8631918
Grossman's DQ was funny.
>>
Twilight or An Abuundance of Katherines. My high school offerred a Young Adult literature class, and it so happened that eveyr book on the syllabus was on the list for a reading program that would get you out of class early for a party once a semester.
Plus our teacher gave us shit tons of reading time in class, so I just read Vonnegut and other better high school tier lit.
>>
>>8631999
>so I just read Vonnegut and other better high school tier lit.
I've never understood this. How can you read that stuff?

I liked genreshit, and I liked /lit/shit, but I fucking hated high-school tier /lit/. I don't know if it's the quality or the association, but it just reeked of boredom.
>>
>>8631531
Was staying with grandparents a few years and it was the only book lying around, I picked it up and by god it's poor. I don't like genre-fic crime but I can appreciate that there's bad and good (good being Chandler I suppose, also Agatha Christie and Morse), I've read schlocky James Patterson shit that was better than Rowling's filth. I'm almost curious to read her Robert Galbraith crime novels to see if she's upped her game.

While it's inb4 "all YA sucks" meme, I worked as an English tutor for two years and the first I told the smart kids was to grow out of YA, I can think of only two good contemporary YA series and they arguably straddle literary fiction and YA (Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials).
>>
>>8632032
>Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials
Not YA. YA is a commercial genre more than anything else; just because "young adults" can read it, doesn't mean it's actually Young Adult.
>>
>>8631762
My school didn't push any feminist lit but the librarian recommended it to me
>>
>>8632330
We had to analyse lit from two of four perspectives -- including "feminist" and """Marxist""". I don't blame the school for choosing such works, given their curriculum. But damn, it was boring.
>>
The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Coming to a theater near you, 2017: poor people who are so sad and work so hard (since they have no jobs) that they all have naturally balayaged hair. You know, because they're so stressed and because hair does that.
>>
>>8631901
>>8631910
agree with these
also Dracula was a really shitty book
>>
>>8630232
I've never read the Bloody Chamber but it's on my reading list.

Is it about vaginas? Please tell me it isn't about vaginas.
>>
Fahrenheit 451 was fucking garbage.

It makes me angry just thinking about how shit it was. I picked it up because its short and considered a classic by many people.

HOW THE FUCK IT IS A CLASSIC? IT SUCKS.
>>
Wuthering Heights

gave up after 10 pages, could not stand it. i promised my wife i would read it, but at the time i had been eager to read something else, so i was actively wishing that i didn't have to read it. i also kept thinking to myself "yeah this was definitely written by a woman", so maybe i just hate women
>>
>>8629815
agreed
>>
>>8630175
>>8630175
Same here with Palanick

Cant remember the name but it was a novella. It was about an I.T. tech that goes for lunch at a asian fusion place and the devil starts barganing for his soul speaking through his noodle bowl. The twist was he was narrating from a Philipines prison for child prostitution. It was pretty bad.
>>
>>8632232
Edgeshit made for young adults is YA.
>>
>>8629802
It's a dirty job by christopher moore. i could shit out a better book.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.