[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you people name me good books (or any other art form) that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: all-kings-men-jacki-kellum.jpg (458KB, 641x973px) Image search: [Google]
all-kings-men-jacki-kellum.jpg
458KB, 641x973px
Can you people name me good books (or any other art form) that deal with the rise and fall of powerful and corrupt politicians?

I was thinking in writing a play about the topic, a tragedy, and would love some recommendations to use as source material.

Thank you.
>>
>>8629267
House of Cards (original TV show and remake- AFAIK the original book is actually less good)
Wag The Dog
Richard III, if you can count monarchs
Macbeth, if you can count monarchs again
It Can't Happen Here (I'm assuming the leader in that is corrupt as well as a fascist)
>>
>>8629304

thank you :)

>>8629304
>Richard III, if you can count monarchs
>Macbeth, if you can count monarchs again

I am using them as models, but I want a modern set. But thank you very much foy your suggestions, especialy the Sinclair Lewis novel.
>>
Haven't read it, but I'd imagine I, Claudius has a fair bit of corruption going on even if the narrator is a good guy.
>>
Roscoe by William Kennedy
Anything about Nixon
The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa
>>
>>8629331
Second
>>
>>8629267
I'm not into the /r9k/ or /pol/ shit, but is there a more beta character than Jack Burden in all of literature:

>mom is a slut
>raised by a literal cuck
>falls in love with his best friends little sister
>gets cucked by some yankees
>drops out of doctoral program right before he's done
>his great-grandfather who is inserted into the plot for like 100 pages halfway through the book gets cucked 100 years ago
>does the dirty work for a Chad
>Chad sleeps with his oneitis
>his respond is to go drive all the way to California and cry
>develops some meme-worthy nihilist worldview
>rejects all of that and goes back to work for Chad
>gets his real dad to kill himself
>has his best-friend get killed while killing Chad
>has the chance to get revenge on the guy who made his friend kills chad but does nothing
>eventually shacks up with his oneitis after she has been banged by like every character in the story and his cuck fake dad
>the end

Still one of my favorite books
>>
>>8629418
>The Feast of the Goat

Trujillo as written was awesome.

Pic related is also great, and has a lot of focus on how character flaws fucked Richards family and enemies, and then he himself.
>>
Robert Coover - The Public Burning
>>
File: 122100.jpg (98KB, 600x884px) Image search: [Google]
122100.jpg
98KB, 600x884px
Or "How not to govern in South America"
>>
File: 22695971.jpg (13KB, 250x400px) Image search: [Google]
22695971.jpg
13KB, 250x400px
>>8629267
>>
>>8629267
Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe
(and Last King of Scotland, on a similar note)
>>
File: 1476690486238.jpg (25KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1476690486238.jpg
25KB, 382x417px
>>8629267
Should I read the "restored edition" or the original edit of All the King's Men?
>>
>>8630491
literally the difference is the governor's last name
>>
>>8630503
Original version it is then

I like Willie Stark more than Willie Talos

"Restored" and edited editions are a crime anyways and should be banned
>>
>>8629747
annie was a qt tho, and he loved her
>>
>>8629267

bump
>>
Seminal biography of Robert Moses. How has no one mentioned it?

The power broker by robert caro
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.