[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to kill myself, recommend me books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: AJEEu8P.jpg (136KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
AJEEu8P.jpg
136KB, 1280x688px
I want to kill myself, recommend me books
>>
>>8628102
to be perfectly honest, my diary
>>
>>8628111
post it then
>>
>>8628111
this, I gave it 5/5 on goodreads
>>
Lattimore _newtestament.png

Pic related
>>
File: epictetus.jpg (17KB, 250x313px) Image search: [Google]
epictetus.jpg
17KB, 250x313px
>>8628102
The Golden Sayings, by Epictetus.

Here is an extremely related excerpt, taken from Gutenberg.org:

XVII

I do not think that an old fellow like me need have been sitting here to try and prevent your entertaining abject notions of yourselves, and talking of yourselves in an abject and ignoble way: but to prevent there being by chance among you any such young men as, after recognising their kindred to the Gods, and their bondage in these chains of the body and its manifold necessities, should desire to cast them off as burdens too grievous to be borne, and depart their true kindred. This is the struggle in which your Master and Teacher, were he worthy of the name, should be engaged. You would come to me and say: "Epictetus, we can no longer endure being chained to this wretched body, giving food and drink and rest and purification: aye, and for its sake forced to be subservient to this man and that. Are these not things indifferent and nothing to us? Is it not true that death is no evil? Are we not in a manner kinsmen of the Gods, and have we not come from them? Let us depart thither, whence we came: let us be freed from these chains that confine and press us down. Here are thieves and robbers and tribunals: and they that are called tyrants, who deem that they have after a fashion power over us, because of the miserable body and what appertains to it. Let us show them that they have power over none."

XVIII

And to this I reply:—

"Friends, wait for God. When He gives the signal, and releases you from this service, then depart to Him. But for the present, endure to dwell in the place wherein He hath assigned you your post. Short indeed is the time of your habitation therein, and easy to those that are minded. What tyrant, what robber, what tribunals have any terrors for those who thus esteem the body and all that belong to it as of no account? Stay; depart not rashly hence!"

XIX

Something like that is what should pass between a teacher and ingenuous youths. As it is, what does pass? The teacher is a lifeless body, and you are lifeless bodies yourselves. When you have had enough to eat today, you sit down and weep about tomorrow's food. Slave! if you have it, well and good; if not, you will depart: the door is open—why lament? What further room is there for tears? What further occasion for flattery? Why should one envy another? Why should you stand in awe of them that have much or are placed in power, especially if they be also strong and passionate? Why, what should they do to us? What they can do, we will not regard: what does concern us, that they cannot do. Who then shall rule one that is thus minded?

Related portions preface and follow that passage. Here's the link to the HTML version.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/871/871-h/871-h.htm
>>
infinite jest

duh.
>>
>>8628160
wow.
>>
The Conspiracy Against the Human Race.
>>
>>8628160
is this supposed to be cool because it's old

just sounds like the inane babblings of an existential illiterate teenager
>>
>>8628198
Good wow? Bad wow?

>>8628241
Did you not understand it? I think his logic is great, and he is dealing specifically with the topic of suicide.

The reason his pupils were considering suicide may not be relevant, I don't know OP, but it could be. Either way, it is a classic work, and an absolute gem.

It's cool because it's cool.

He asked for works for someone considering suicide, is stoic optimism a bad choice? I don't see how it could be.
>>
File: Unabomber.png (38KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
Unabomber.png
38KB, 220x293px
Industrial Society and Its Future
>>
Le Myth of Sisyphus
>>
>>8628102

Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning
>>
Obviously stoner
>>
The secret
>>
>>8628471
Stop recommending this, Frankl was a hack.
>>
>>8628428
the road. cormack mccarthy.

i feel someones going to throw something at me for that but it is really bleak and depressing book.
>>
>>8628102
meditations- marcus aurelius
>>
>>8628414
Al Yankovic ?
>>
>>8628102
Wittgesntein, Dostoevsky, Kiekegaard, Sartre, and Kafka (although, most people find his work depressing, I rather fight it to be uplifting - for there are many points throughout his work where you find some sense of joy, beauty, or exaltation amongst the senselessness).
>>
How do you intend to kill yourself with a book? Try a gun.
>>
Discworld
>>
>>8628102
100 Years of Solitude
The Master and Margarita
Dubliners
>>
>>8628160
literally just "zeus said b urself dude"
>>
>>8628102
"how to kill yourself"
by sue e. side
>>
>>8628969
Actually, that has no relevance at all.
>>
File: wow.jpg (100KB, 750x1196px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
100KB, 750x1196px
>>
>>8628642
He might be able to manage it with a tall building, a helper, and an unabridged Les Miserables.
It would be very poetic.
>>
>>8628667
Seconded. You'll want to kill yourself when you finish it but 41 books should give you a bit of time.
>>
File: y648[1].png (287KB, 386x600px) Image search: [Google]
y648[1].png
287KB, 386x600px
good luck friendo, it's not the escape you seek. it's just...nothingness. i'd rather feel anything than nothing at all.
>>
File: 2qpMLjk.jpg (2MB, 1722x2475px) Image search: [Google]
2qpMLjk.jpg
2MB, 1722x2475px
>>8628102
>>
>>8628320
Not that poster, but I believe good wow. It's normally only a few people per thread that give good responses and doing shitpost because they're illiterate and believe sarcasm is correlated with intelligence.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.