[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Man in the High Castle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

What the fuck was I supposed to get out of this book? It just goes nowhere at all. I've been left hanging before but it's never felt so weak. The talk with the Man himself at the end accomplished exactly nothing. Did I miss something? Why do people like this book?
>>
>Alt history

You brought this on yourself
>>
because dude nazis lmao
>>
>>8627943
Felt the same way, super over hyped book
>>
File: Skadi's_longing_for_the_Mountains.jpg (1009KB, 1824x1022px) Image search: [Google]
Skadi's_longing_for_the_Mountains.jpg
1009KB, 1824x1022px
>>8627945
This, one hundred times! Alt-history will never lives up to your expectations.
Now, if you actually want QUALITY fiction with the Nazi "aesthetic" check out The Sound of His Horn. It's scifi/fantasy.
>>
File: PhilipDick.jpg (16KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
PhilipDick.jpg
16KB, 300x389px
>dude I asked Chinese dominoes to write a book for me LMAO
>>
>>8627963
>what's it say?
>It says the book really happened
>Oh ok that's cool I guess, well see you later.
>>
File: 1459011014835.png (659KB, 607x945px) Image search: [Google]
1459011014835.png
659KB, 607x945px
>>8627943
>>
Personally I just enjoyed the book for its ability to feel mundane despite the actual circumstances being far from it. You end up being caught in the lives of these people rather than the concept of an alternate timeline itself.
>>
>>8628124
This is why it's literature. Everybody who bitches about the book was expecting some Anime shit with big factions/complex hierarchies plotting and warring against one another, everybody wearing pseudo-BDSM nazi shit.

Instead, they got a slice of life from an alternate reality, with some weird I-ching shit thrown in.
>>
>>8627943
I think the book's reputation is based on people half-remembering the basic concept and thinking "hey that was pretty cool". The actual book itself struggles to get anything going and turns into nothing in its second half. It would have been better as a short story.
>>
>>8628124
I agree, I think that the detachment in the way certain events are presented give it a haunted quality. How its passingly that the entirety of the African people were liquidated; how the Mediterranean was drained for farmland, or how one of the Jewish characters had nightmares about getting sent to the Lunar Concentration camps - they mention all these things as though they're mundane realities, while to us they're obviously not.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.