[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bob Dylan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 53b1395c2f34c_william_h_gass.jpg (14KB, 200x214px) Image search: [Google]
53b1395c2f34c_william_h_gass.jpg
14KB, 200x214px
The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 was awarded to Bob Dylan “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition.” This will likely go down in history as the most controversial and polarizing Nobel award, if not across all the categories, then certainly in Literature. Most obviously it is a challenge of sorts to what the word “literature” really entails. Dictionary definitions and references to ancient oral traditions aside, the word “literature” carries with it connotations of the written word; of dusty tomes and erudite classics, and of a tradition stretching back thousands of years, connecting people across time and space in an attempt to intimate some sense of “the human condition.”

As Michael Orthofer points out, Dylan received a Pulitzer in the Special Awards category, and not the Letters/Music categories. There is little doubt that Dylan is one of the most celebrated and accomplished musicians of the past century, with an incredible legacy that "emanates directly from the North American post-Protestant gnosis" (according to Harold Bloom) and looking forward to the new era of rock and folk, connecting the past and the future. The Nobel Literature Prize purports to recognize individuals who have produced "in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction". It is certainly no stretch to argue Dylan’s work can be said to fit this definition, and as an artist and a creator he is more than qualified by pretty much any standards of taste and aesthetics one wishes to accord.

Nevertheless, the decision to award Dylan with the Nobel is a mistake. The Nobel prize, from its very description, is unavoidably and irrefutably ideological and political to some extent, at times more clearly than others. Its reputation and influence has moved it beyond a simple book award to something that dictates and sets the tone of cultural discourse. I’m sure the Swedish Academy is cognizant of this fact (more on this later), which is why I (and many others) are so surprised and understandably dismayed by the 2016 decision.
>>
Outside of the Nobel Prize, literary awards are not particularly high profile events. The Man Booker gets a nod or two (and a prominent sticker in bookstores trying to entice potential customers), but names like the Neustadt, the Goncourt, the Akutagawa, etc. etc., tend to be low on the notoriety scale, and these are all very major awards within literature. The MacArthur Fellowship, colloquially known as the “Genius Awards,” often recognizes literary achievements, but is on the whole a general science and culture prize. For better or for worse, the Nobel Prize is the honor of the literary world that has widespread recognition. Who receives the Nobel Prize, then, is as much a matter of literary quality as it is of communicating a message about the state of literature to the world.
>>
>>8627735
Get over it already
>>
>>8627742
T. Cultural Marxist
>>
>>8627735
>>8627740
at least repost the whole thing if you're just gonna dump an outside article, or just link it
>>
File: 1476675114638.jpg (165KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476675114638.jpg
165KB, 800x800px
He deserved to win.
>>
>>8627735
butthurt.

nobel prize is shit anyway.
>>
File: 1470171777880.jpg (137KB, 431x427px) Image search: [Google]
1470171777880.jpg
137KB, 431x427px
>>8628756
>cherrypicking this hard
Is this some ironic thing to make fun of the people hating on Dylan?
>>
>>8628755
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/514926-2016-nobel-prize-in-literature

>it's a vidya site

Not a bad read he makes some decent points.
>>
Winston Churchill.

You can now delete the thread (which I have not even read)h
>>
>>8628756
That's actually one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs
>>
Should've given it to based Gass
>>
>>8629164
Churchill's win was political as fuck but he was a fine orator. His speeches were good and his history pushed him into "acceptably decent" territory.
>>
>>8629164
>Winston Churchill.
Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre
>>
>>8629964
he didnt accept it desu
>>
>>8629164
He was an historian - plus he wrote pretty hefty memoirs. Churchill was a bad decision but at least it wasn't outright insane.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.