[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lovecraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: H._P._Lovecraft.jpg (24KB, 285x352px) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft.jpg
24KB, 285x352px
Was he really a good writer or were his stories just overblown?
>>
>>8627535
For his racism alone, he's a fucking legend in my book
>>
Not sure. I like his ideas though.
>>
>>8627540

DIdn't he write a letter on his deathbed renouncing his ways?
>>
>>8627544
Even if that's true we certainly remember the poem about blacks and his cat names Niggerman more than the dubious intentions of some last words before his death.
>>
>>8627535
Neither.

He was an extremely imaginative individual whose writing was good enough to transmit his vision to others.

That gets him out of the overblown category, but doesn't make him a great writer.
>>
>>8627554
This.
It was probably made up by liberals to discredit race realism
>>
File: gods02.jpg (102KB, 340x510px) Image search: [Google]
gods02.jpg
102KB, 340x510px
>>8627535
You will go mad from the revelation
>>
>>8627535
A D A M S A N D L E R
>>
>>8627540
Why are you so full of hatred?
>>
>>8627832
The man wanted to fumigate India for Christ's sake.
He had ambition.
>>
>>8627826
I think he'd have a word with you about comparing him to (((Adam Sandler))).
>>
He's a literary great in my book. The Dream Quest of Kadath, ReAnimator, and Rats in the Walls are insanely good. So all and all pretty comfy if you don't get autotriggered by his racism.
>>
>>8627535
I can say i rather like his works. The sense of true meancing dread he works into his books is great werong, as far as I'm concerned. Just the other day, I was wiring a cable under my house (which was built in the 1910's, so relatively antique) and saw with my low-quality headlamp a solid black, ominous pillar. Sure, it was just a support pillar, but having read Lovecraft's work i was scared shitless for a brief minute. Any kind of literature that can you actually horrified of a brick foundation deserves recognition.
>>
>>8627914
And by werong, I meant writing. Should have paid more attention in typing class.
>>
>>8627544
He did, but in my opinion it didn't really matter. He wasn't much a people person to begin with.

I just wished he stuck around longer to see WW2. I remember reading about him rambling on about Aryan purity or some nonsense. He was like a combination of /r9k/, /lit/, with a hint of /pol/
>>
>>8627535
He was a weak writer with an amazing imagination. When I read his work I'm in it for his ideas about cosmic horrors beyond the human mind's ability to fully comprehend, not spectacular prose.

>>8627891
Really? ReAnimator is what cements him as a literary great to you? I love his work but that seems like a weird choice.
>>
>>8627956
>He was a weak writer with an amazing imagination. When I read his work I'm in it for his ideas about cosmic horrors beyond the human mind's ability to fully comprehend, not spectacular prose.
I agree with you there. I think thats what most folks like about him. The shit he came up with.
>>
>>8627535
The writing itself is lousy, but the ideas behind it, and the emotions and imagery they evoke is great.

His imaginations was great like another anon mentioned. That being said, you could see that he tried to write as elegantly as possible, and I can respect that.
>>
File: when-you-trying-061dmp.jpg (44KB, 500x617px) Image search: [Google]
when-you-trying-061dmp.jpg
44KB, 500x617px
>>
Lovecraft is a goid writer imo for two reasons:

he revolutionzed horror well beyond the framework laid down by Poe, and mastered "out of frame" story telling. His influence also extended into sci-fi and even modern ancient alien myths.

If his stories were rejected for punctiution or grammar review he would simply resubmit the exact same story later, only for it to be published. He meant every mark he made on the page and would not bow to any lowly copy edit monkey.
>>
>>8627956
It's not really super good but it simply deserves it for "Damn it, it wasn't quite fresh enough!"

Through the Gate of the Silver Key is better
>>
>>8627540
>>8627561
cringe
>>
>>8628371
nigger
>>
Ex Oblivione, Polaris, The Cats of Ulthar and The Outsider are some of the best short stories ever.
Not a big fan of his "le spooky monster" stories though.

Also, his poetry is extremely underrated.
>>
>>8628390
We're not on xbox live
>>
"On the Creation of Niggers"

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

(If you don't think this was one of the most genius things ever written, you need to lighten up.)
>>
>>8628392
>The Outsider

How can you like this in 2016? It's pretty much just le spooky foreigners who are darker than Lovecraft thought was acceptable

>inb4 >Le current year meme xD xD
>>
>>8628406
How is that genius?
>>
>>8628411
How do you get that hidden meaning out of the story?
Are you just trying to insert "Lovecraft is racist" anywhere even if it doesn't fit?

It's just a great story with a twist ending you see coming a mile away, but it's great in the way it's written.

In any case though.
>implying being suspicious of foreigners is a bad thing in any way
>implying letting hundreds of thousands of sandpeople into your country will lead to even remotely good things

Stop being a castrated cuck. Lovecraft is smarter than you.
>>
>>8628417
I was thinking of The Street, but there was still no need to insert your boring alt-right shit in your comment
>>
>>8628416
It's funny and has a good punchline at the end. Stop being a stick in the mud.

Here's a genuinely good poem by Lovecraft though:

"A Garden"

There’s an ancient, ancient garden that I see sometimes in dreams,
Where the very Maytime sunlight plays and glows with spectral gleams;
Where the gaudy-tinted blossoms seem to wither into grey,
And the crumbling walls and pillars waken thoughts of yesterday.
There are vines in nooks and crannies, and there’s moss about the pool,
And the tangled weedy thicket chokes the arbour dark and cool:
In the silent sunken pathways springs an herbage sparse and spare,
Where the musty scent of dead things dulls the fragrance of the air.
There is not a living creature in the lonely space around,
And the hedge-encompass’d quiet never echoes to a sound.
As I walk, and wait, and listen, I will often seek to find
When it was I knew that garden in an age long left behind;
I will oft conjure a vision of a day that is no more,
As I gaze upon the grey, grey scenes I feel I knew before.
Then a sadness settles o’er me, and a tremor seems to start:
For I know the flow’rs are shrivell’d hopes—the garden is my heart!
>>
>>8628418
The Street was an attack on communism, not specifically foreigners.

It just so happens that 95% of communists were foreigners in the early 20s.
>>
>>8628422
Yeah but the fear still stems from 'le spooky foreigners'
>>
>>8628420
It has nothing to do with the racism, I just don't see how it's 'genius'

But yeah that is a pretty good poem
>>
>>8628406
This is fucking 1930s proto-Moon Man

>ITT HP Lovecraft is Moon Man
>>
Recently read through a collection of his short stories.
He's a hood writer and there are some absolutely amazing stories he's done.
However, the weaker ones quickly start to feel very similar, hitting similar beats, characters and twists. Maybe that's part of what others called "great imagination, weak writing"
Favourites would probably be through the gates of the silver key and the dunwich horror
>>
Good ol' H.P "shoot-the-nigger-dead-I-said-dead" Lovecraft
>>
>>8627891
I've seen many people say Re-Animator is weak but fail to see it. Herbert West was understandable in his curiosity. The black guy coming back in spidermode to eat that kid was interesting and memorable. The ending tied everything up in a horror bow. I say good choice.
>>
>>8627535
Lovecraft's strength was his fear. Through being afraid of practically everything, lovecraft was able to stumble upon a few genuine, universal fears that other writers of sounder mind would perhaps not have been able to come up with

Lovecraft was afraid of fish, and he was afraid of miscegenation. On their own these don't make terrific horror material, but through the muddying of his various melodramatic phobias, the superlative horror subject matter of fish miscegenation emerges
>>
So, listen up. It was the early 1900's and people didn't know shit about science back then, but I gotta tell ya. The natural world is scary as shit and don't go poking around in it. I was poking around in it. And brother, you are not gonna believe what I found. It's just like my buddy The Mad Arab said in his obscure Book of Exposition that I constantly lament having read. Human life is small and recent and dwarfed by that big ass shit that came from other planets and lived on earth way before us in places we ought not go poking around in. But like I told you, I went poking around in it. In those aeon-dead places and I saw some scary-ass shit. It was so scary, I'm not even gonna tell you. I don't think I even can tell you. I'm not entirely certain human words can explain how scary this shit was. But okay. Since it's what you came for, it was like a tentacle monster. But like with a bugs face? God it was scary. Scary and inhuman and inhabiting an aeon-dead land just like one described by my good buddy The Mad Arab in his obscure Book of Exposition which, did I mention this? Oh gosh this shit was so scary I kept thinking how much I really shouldn't have read that book. And this tentacle monster, it was chasing me. And it was making this weird inhuman sound. Of course it wasn't human so naturally the sound it made was inhuman. And gosh it was pretty frickin scary and I was thinking how the sound it made was just like a sound described by my bud The Mad Arab cause he had a dream about it once. Anyway I just managed to escape so lemme tell ya. The natural world is some scary ass shit. Don't go pokin around in it.
>>
>>8631206
Pretty accurate. He certainly says aeons-dead an absurd number of times over the course of At the Mountains of Madness. Almost as much as he uses the title of the story to describe the mountains themselves.
>>
>>8627540
>>8627554
>>8628406
>>8630185

lovecraft fans missing the point, as usual. the edgy teen celebrates lovecraft because of the transgressive thrill of the word nigger, but a closer examination reveals lovecraft's racism to be a mask for self-hatred. the crucial story is "facts concerning the late arthur jermyn and his family" in which a generic lovecraft self-insert character commits the generic lovecraft madness-suicide over discovering his secret ancestry: his aristocratic family line turns out to have started with a man fucking an african ape. not to mention that arthur was led to this discovery by his own barely suppressed ape lust! unable to cope with being an ape and an ape fucker, he kills himself, and his friends destroy all the evidence. this is one of the clearest expressions of a theme that underlies all of lovecraft's writing: that his disgust hides primal lust, that his simultaneous obsession with and repulsion by the subhuman is ultimately driven by his recognition in the subhuman of his own essence. lovecraft hates niggers because he is one.
>>
>>8627956
>implying his prose isnt spectacular

Do u even Gothic enough?
>>
>>8627933
Someone he knew travailed to Germany during that time and wrote back about the crackdown on the Jews. He was appalled.
>>
>>8631751
Maybe he just hates niggers because they're of low intelligence, never contributed anything to civilization and commit crime disproportionately when compared to other races.
>>
Was expecting the poem, and found it. Good thread everyone
>>
>>8631809
yes anon, we should ignore hp lovecraft's work when analyzing hp lovecraft and just repost /pol/ memes at each other, good idea
>>
>>8631809
BREAKING: 13 YEAR OLD 4CHANNER COMPLETELY EXPOSES CULTURAL MRXIST CONSPARYC, HOW WILL LEFTYS EVER RECUBERY????
>>
>>8632151
Good one anon, kill those capitalists with your sarcasm.
>>
>>8632158
>basing your ideology off of memes
>>
>>8631751
Does anyone have that 'life's no good' quote, from one of his biographies, I think?
>>
>>8627535
its about context
he was a driving force behind the legitimisation of pulp magazines as well as the genre of "eldritch horror" or horror that is beyond human comprehension.
but he wasnt a prolific or a very good writer, most of his stories are very same-y
>>
>>8631771

No, I think he heard about it from a friend that was in Germany. He didn't go himself. IIRC, he barely even went outside during the daylight. /one of us/
>>
>>8631809
you're a burden to this board
But there's a good thing for you! One has been made exclusively for people like you
>>
>>8627956
The prose meme have to die. You deny Lovecraft's skills for the same reason you grant them to Hemingway.
>>
Recommend me some of his work. I love me some horror.
>>
>>8632768
This one http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cdw.aspx is underrated, which shows how little anons know about HPL
>>
>>8627956
>>8632741

I believe that his prose regarding pictoric phenomena is quite fantastic, while I agree with you that most of the times his imagination overcame his ability to write.
>>
>Lovecraft was a bigot
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/ds.aspx
>>
>>8627535
there's no doubt shadow of innsmouth was a fantabulous read. i read damn near all of his work
>>
>>8628420
Could've ended stronger but good job.
>>
Literally one of the topest tier because of his pure imagination.
>>8632775
This and >>8627891 and Nyarlathotep are some of his best works, read lots of his stuff the best introduction would probably be the Color out of Space

Also can we all agree that Nyarlathotep is one of the single greatest villains in literature?
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.