[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does this man have against quotation marks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 156885_m.jpg (50KB, 392x431px) Image search: [Google]
156885_m.jpg
50KB, 392x431px
What does this man have against quotation marks?
>>
Quotations marks make you stop and spit and he has to ride on.
>>
pointless and clunky
>>
First answer, best answer. Enjoy your job copy-editing ads for j.crew, op.
>>
Makes your book look cool and old of you omit them.
>>
>>8623385
Quotation marks did nothing wrong
>>
>>8623364
He likes reading old drama, and has a fascination with how much of a reading is forced (or even just implied) by the text itself. Punctuation hints at a reading and is therefore cheating.
>>
>>8623728
Why not type in all caps with no periods or commas?
>>
>>8624052
He went as far as he could go and no farther.
>>
All great writers have their own style.
>>
>>8623364
On his deathbed he'll change his mind about punctuation and release a book filled only with quotation marks, commas, semicolons, and exclamation points with annotations to what part of what book each of the punctuation marks go
>>
>>8623364
Cornmac YeTortilla is a gimmicky hack.
>>
>>8623364
McCarthy can get away with it because his characters usually have unique voices in the story, or they are fairly interchangeable. He also uses dialogue tags subtly.

It's a problem when other authors imitate his style and omit the "He said, she said" tags.
>>
>>8623364
It's fucking biblical m8
>>
>>8624843
>It's a problem when other authors imitate his style and omit the "He said, she said" tags.
Like Hemingway?
>>
Quotation marks make dialogue and narration easily distinguishable. That's bad.
>>
you can't hear quotation marks when you read out loud. i guess he likes to give the feeling of someone telling you a story directly
>>
>>8625339
Yes you can. Must people read dialog different than narration.
>>
>>8625290
>hemmmingway
>imitating corncob
yikes
rest in peace
>>
Question marks killed his entire family.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.