[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of a influence drugs had on creating literature actually?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
How much of a influence drugs had on creating literature actually?
>>
File: images (5).jpg (107KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
107KB, 715x1080px
>>8623224
This is a pretty good book about that subject. It starts off with Raymond Carver and John Cheever waiting for a liqour store in iowa to open so they can buy rotgut vodka and from there it details the links between writers and self medication.
>>
>>8623224
Isn't that just a bunch of Dayquil cold medicine capsules?
>>
>>8623430
Dayquil and Nyquil contain dextromethorphan as a primary ingredient. If you swallow enough of it, you trip balls.
>>
>>8623440
Good 'ol robotripping.
>>
>>8623440
>Trying to trip off those
You'll likely get liver failure from the acetaminophen before you get a reasonable amount of DXM
>>
>>8623450
That's why you don't just pick up any old cough medicine and gorge on it. There are lots of brands out there that have only the DXM.
>>
File: GABBA.jpg (19KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
GABBA.jpg
19KB, 300x225px
Lots, especially compared to the typical vocation. Caffeine and nicotine use is widespread, and I see no reason to consider those "not real drugs." Then of course there's weed, amphetamines, even acid and shrooms which can impact personality and perspective, which thereby influences writing.

You might even include medications - I take lithium for bipolar, and there is a drastic difference in my writing style between sobriety and mania. This suggests that avoiding drugs can also be a huge influence, for PKD types.

In short, of course much influence can be traced to drugs. However, this shouldn't be mistaken for the idea that drugs will make you a good writer. It still requires talent and persistence.

Pic related is my drug of choice for writing.
>>
>>8623454
not dayquil and nyquil though. if you're gonna recommend a cough medicine say robitussin with dxm as the only active ingredient
>>
>>8623507
>In short, of course much influence can be traced to drugs.

holy fucking shit what a monumental non sequitur
>>
File: belgian health minister.jpg (64KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
belgian health minister.jpg
64KB, 1000x563px
>>8623224

Adderall helped me write extensively and edit concisely, and I wrote better prose in others' style more immediately as well.

Alcohol helped me get things out, though it destroyed my productivity the day after and made me need adderall.

Pot makes me follow incredible thought strings, but I can't remember where I began and how I got here and then I feel anxious because my mind is everywhere and I'm going to die and who the fuck am I really and remember that time you didn't cry at that funeral and your mom looked at you funny and funny is a funny word, like one of those words we insert when we don't know what else to say so that its definition is indefinite like fuck, which is a fucking weird word in and of itself given that it's obscene but often a placeholder which creates needless obscenity it's the vulgarity of the language that's offensive, vulgarity meaning baseness, so that we're attempting to steer kids away from such base thought and manner of speech

Nicotine helps create an energetic chill buzz, but isn't that useful to me anymore, since I quit adderall.

Psychedelics gave me perspective and experience, but helped me know myself more than make my work better. Then again, it's been about 2 years since my last trip, and it'd been maybe 1 year before that. Hm.

Opiates helped me focus, but they dulled my creative mind.

Frankly, they help break stagnation. But I never accomplished anything worthwhile (other than my degree) on drugs. My work is much improved since I've attained relative sobriety.
>>
File: dogon.jpg (1MB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dogon.jpg
1MB, 1024x1536px
>>8624179

I see now that you were talking about literature in general. I was responding to you about myself. Clearly.

lo siento, amigo

I still miss adderall, though. I just don't miss panic attacks.

I load up on about 3 cups of coffee and a doubleshot of espresso or an energy drink daily, still, btw
>>
>>8623224
It really depends on whether or not you count Gonzo as a part of literature
>>
File: eleusis.jpg (72KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
eleusis.jpg
72KB, 480x720px
read this
>>
File: pic related.png (42KB, 543x239px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.png
42KB, 543x239px
>>8623224
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.