[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saki (not anime)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: HHM.jpg (211KB, 848x1125px) Image search: [Google]
HHM.jpg
211KB, 848x1125px
Just discovered this guy. It's been told that he was huge in UK back in the day. Is he completely forgotten now? It's not easy to find a translated copy here (Russia). His style is just about my taste in English. Share your thoughts.
>>
File: saki.jpg (20KB, 562x118px) Image search: [Google]
saki.jpg
20KB, 562x118px
Bump
>>
>>8620961
Tell me a little about his works, Anon. Never heard of him.
>>
>>8621007
still my favorite short story
http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/vashtar.html
>>
>>8621005
Thats probably the face he would make if he saw that
>>
he's great, lots of wicked little stories and more comfy than O Henry (whom you may also like). there's one story which never gets published any more in collections of his stuff, i'll try to find the scan of it in the archives for you.

godammit can't find it i might have to type it up
>>
>>8621021

Please, do if you can. I would love to read that.
>>
File: 1456622200502.jpg (36KB, 543x549px) Image search: [Google]
1456622200502.jpg
36KB, 543x549px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saki

> British writer whose witty, mischievous and sometimes macabre stories satirize Edwardian society and culture
>He is considered a master of the short story
>Influenced by Oscar Wilde, Lewis Carroll and Rudyard Kipling
>At the start of the First World War Munro was 43 and officially over-age to enlist, but he refused a commission and joined the 2nd King Edward's Horse as an ordinary trooper. He later transferred to the 22nd Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, in which he rose to the rank of lance sergeant. More than once he returned to the battlefield when officially still too sick or injured. In November 1916 he was sheltering in a shell crater near Beaumont-Hamel, France, during the Battle of the Ancre, when he was killed by a German sniper.
>Munro was homosexual, but in Britain at that time sexual activity between men was a crime.

Interesting.
>>
>>8621027
Eve and the Forbidden Fruit: A Fragment of Incomplete History (from Saki 2, Chosen by Peter Haining, Everyman Paperback, 1983)

In endeavouring to get Eve to eat the Forbidden Fruit, the Serpent elaborated all the arguments and inducements that he could think of and even improvised some new ones. But Eve's reply was unfailingly the same. Her mind was made up.
The Serpent gave a final petulant wiggle of its coils and slid out of the landscape with an unmistakable air of displeasure.
"You haven't tasted the Forbidden Fruit, I suppose?" said a pleasant but rather anxious voice at Eve's shoulder a few minutes later. It was one of the Archangels who was speaking.
"No," said Eve placidly, "Adam and I went into the matter very thoroughly last night and we came to the conclusion that we should be rather ill-advised in eating the fruit of that tree; after all, there are heaps of other trees and vegetables for us to feed on."
"Of course it does great credit to your sense of obedience," said the Archangel, with an entire lack of enthusiasm in his voice, "but it will cause considerable disappointment in some quarters. There was an idea going around that you might e persuaded by specious arguments into tasting the Forbidden Fruit."
"There _was_ a Serpent here speaking about it the last few days," said Eve; "he seemed rather huffed that we didn't follow his advice, but Adam and I went into the whole matter last night and we came to t--"
"Yes, yes," said the Archangel in an embarrassed voice, "a very praiseworthy decision, of course. At the same time, well, it's not exactly what everyone anticipated. You see Sin has got to come into the world, somehow."
"Yes?" said, Eve, without any marked show of interest.
"And you are practically the only people who _can_ introduce it."
"I don't know anything about that," said Eve placidly; "Adam and I have got to think of our own interests, We went very thoroughly --"
"You see," said the Archangel, "the most elaborate arrangements have been foreordained on the assumption that you _would_ yield to temptation. No end of pictures of the Fall of Man are destined to be painted and a poet is one day to write an immortal poem called 'Paradise L--'"
"Called what?" asked Eve as the Archangel suddenly pulled himself up.
"'Paradise Life'. It's all about you and Adam eating the Forbidden Fruit. If you don't eat it I don't see how the poem can possibly be written."
Eve is still dogged - says she has no appetite for more fruit.
"I had some figs and plantains and half a dozen medlars early this morning, and mulberries and a few mangosteens in the middle of today, and last night Adam and I feasted to repletion on young asparagus and parsley-tops with a sauce of pomegranate juice; and yesterday morning --"
"I must be going," said the Archangel, adding rather sulkily, "if I should see the Serpent would it be any use telling him to look round again --?"
"Not in the least," said Eve. Her mind was made up.
[1/2]
>>
>>8621088
[2/2]
"The trouble is," said the Archangel as he folded his wings in a serener atmosphere and recounted his Eden experiences, "there is too great a profusion of fruit in that garden; there isn't enough temptation for hunger after one special kind. Now if there was a partial crop failure --" The idea was acted on. Blight, mildew and caterpillars and untimely frosts worked havoc among trees and bushes and herbs; the plantains withered, the asparagus never sprouted, the pineapples never ripened, radishes were worm-eaten before they were big enough to pick. The Tree of Knowledge alone flaunted itself in undiminished luxuriance.
"We shall have to eat it after all," said Adam, who had breakfasted sparsely on some mouldy tamarinds and the rind of yesterday's melon.
"We were told not to, and we're not going to," said Eve stubbornly. Her mind was made up on the point --.
>>
>>8621055
His last words before being taken out by a sniper in the trenches were reportedly "Don't light that bloody cigarette"
>>
File: 1444203769650.png (268KB, 477x393px) Image search: [Google]
1444203769650.png
268KB, 477x393px
>>8621102

Wow, his mate was a fuckin retard.
>>
>>8621088
>>8621098

Thank you, based anon.
>>
>>8621131
np anon, apologies for going old school on the orthography, but italics don't work on the fourth channel. anything to make stealing that edition from the library worthwhile it hadn't been taken out since 1993 before anyone gets on their high horse
>>
>>8620961
A second rate Kipling. He, and every other British short story "writer," is a joke in my country.
>>
>>8621149
>hating fun
which terrible country do you hail from?
>>
>>8621149

And your country is?
>>
>>8621160
>>8621163
Australia.
>>
File: 1464016746869.gif (2MB, 311x223px) Image search: [Google]
1464016746869.gif
2MB, 311x223px
>>8621175

Shit, I was right!!!
>>
>>8621175
kek, isn't every good writer in your country a hoax?
>>
http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/UnrCur.shtml

"Tonight is going to be a great night in the history of Christendom," said Clovis. "We are going to massacre every Jew in the neighbourhood."

"To massacre the Jews!" said Huddle indignantly. "Do you mean to tell me there's a general rising against them?"

"No, it's the Bishop's own idea. He's in there arranging all the details now."

"But - the Bishop is such a tolerant, humane man."

"That is precisely what will heighten the effect of his action. The sensation will be enormous."

That at least Huddle could believe.

"He will be hanged!" he exclaimed with conviction.

"A motor is waiting to carry him to the coast, where a steam yacht is in readiness."

"But there aren't thirty Jews in the whole neighbourhood," protested Huddle, whose brain, under the repeated shocks of the day, was operating with the uncertainty of a telegraph wire during earthquake disturbances.

"We have twenty-six on our list," said Clovis, referring to a bundle of notes. "We shall be able to deal with them all the more thoroughly."

"Do you mean to tell me that you are meditating violence against a man like Sir Leon Birberry," stammered Huddle; "he's one of the most respected men in the country."

"He's down on our list," said Clovis carelessly; "after all, we've got men we can trust to do our job, so we shan't have to rely on local assistance. And we've got some Boy-scouts helping us as auxiliaries."

"Boy-scouts!"

"Yes; when they understood there was real killing to be done they were even keener than the men."
>>
File: 1415528681603.jpg (36KB, 640x392px) Image search: [Google]
1415528681603.jpg
36KB, 640x392px
>>8621393

>referring to a bundle of notes
>yfw read "noses" instead of "notes"
>>
>>8621393

>We are going to massacre every Jew in the neighbourhood

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8621405
>"What you want," said the friend, "is an Unrest-cure."

> "An Unrest-cure? I've never heard of such a thing."

> "You've heard of Rest-cures for people who've broken down under stress of too much worry and strenuous living; well, you're suffering from overmuch repose and placidity, and you need the opposite kind of treatment."

> "But where would one go for such a thing?"

> "Well, you might stand as an Orange candidate for Kilkenny, or do a course of district visiting in one of the Apache quarters of Paris, or give lectures in Berlin to prove that most of Wagner's music was written by Gambetta; and there's always the interior of Morocco to travel in. But, to be really effective, the Unrest-cure ought to be tried in the home. How you would do it I haven't the faintest idea."
>>
>>8620961
>Saki (not anime)
lel
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.