[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 8

File: Kranklis.jpg (15KB, 256x248px) Image search: [Google]
Kranklis.jpg
15KB, 256x248px
QTDDTOT-Questions that don't deserve their own thread
Should I read Infinite Jest or Moby Dick next?
>>
Infinite Dicks.
>>
>>8620753
moby dick. obviously.
>>
Will lib dot gen get me in trouble?
>>
What's a good book available in the public domain
>>
What's the etymology of the Arabic word 'jumhuriyyah'
>>
>>8620789
What kind of book do you want?
Fiction?
Novel/short story/poetry?
What time period/language/origin?
>>
>>8620798
Novel or short story. Preferably within the last 150 years, western origin, English or German language

Also, some poetry for someone that is not too familiar with the medium
>>
>>8620753
Dumb krinkler poster
>>
Is it abnormal for a writer to (fall in) romantic love with a character he's writing?

Also,
>reading serialized space opera
>so far has just been adventures of MC and his 3-man crew which include himself, his mentor, and their qt navigator
>can already tell he's about to go solo or join a new crew, effectively ending the other characters' run in the series
>was more attached to them than the MC
now THIS is suffering
>>
>>8620804
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/73
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/74
>>
Best edition of Beowulf?
>>
>>8620829
Heaney
>>
>>8620850
Mind explaining? I'm reading through reviews for the Heaney translation and it sounds so-so. for whatever reason I care more about prose than accuracy. Is his version well written?
>>
>>8620867
It's well written to be readable, thus why it's the translation undergrads/high schoolers are made to read
>>
>>8620777
Extremely doubtful. Only torrents could potentially get you in trouble, but to be honest, no one (including the publishing industry) gives a shit about torrenting books.
>>
>>8620777
short answer
>no

Long answer
not for another few years most likely<
>>
>>8620820
Characters aren't people, if they fall in love with a character they're probably fetishising an ideal. Salinger fell in love with a character that he imagined and tried to make a girl 10 years his younger fill it. It is abnormal, in the same way falling in love with an anime or book character is abnormal.

also
>genre
>>
what distinguishes a scientific thought/concept from a philosophical one
>>
>>8621279
Scientific can follow the scientific method
>>
>>8621268
This.
>>8620820
You're sick and disgusting.
>>
>>8620820
>>8621268
>>8621289
If you want a film example, there's Ruby Sparks. Judging by the movie, I'd assume OP is just lonely.
>>
>>8621301
Lonely people are sick and disqusting.
>>
>>8621279
Everything used to be philosophy then further study into them created their own areas, PHD stands for a doctor of philosophy. What separates science and philosophy today is that science is observable/knowable facts (i'm sure this definition is a bit wrong), the scientific method is about being able to replicate something to the point you're sure of it.

What's different today between philosophy and chemistry? not much, they look at different areas basically. They both have the same framework, you have an idea->explore idea->come to a conclusion, but they now look at different areas.

There is still a lot of philosophy in science. Kuhn's philosophy of science is a very fun read and is one of the most cited works in scientific literature. I believe one of the famous chemists (Rutherford or Soddy) did their doctorates in philosophy because they had to describe how a particle could be in two places at once. There's a lot of philosophy in literature and law as well, it really is quite messy the whole thing.
>>
Would it be a bad idea to start reading DFW with his short stories? I don't feel like reading Infinite memes right now and I'm thinking about grabbing his short story collections.
>>
>>8621279
Could you go into more detail about what you mean by "thought/concept?"
>>
>>8620753
You sound like a pleb, so in your case, neither.
>>
>>8621435
>Would it be a bad idea to start reading DFW with his short stories?
No.
>>
Should I read books in English or my own language? It's kind of hard to find books in my language.
>>
>>8621279
Philosophy: It don't be like it is, but it do.

Science: It don't be like it is because it has been proven so by empirical evidence.
>>
>>8621647
Read translations from languages other than English in your first language unless the books you want to read don't have translations to it.
>>
>>8621301
>lonely
I'd argue that I'm more of a misanthrope than lonely since I can hardly stand to be around most people. Personality disorders are a bitch
>>
is it bad if manga begins to quell my urges for genre fiction better than actual novels?
>>
if a girl ONLY knows my phone number (not my name or anything else) could i have any repercussions for getting her pregnant
>>
>>8621828
>I can hardly stand to be around most people
Sadly this doesn't prevent loneliness, source: my life.
>>
>>8621835
she might be able to find your name through your number
>>
>>8620804
Schachnovelle
>>
After I do exit level do I just read obscure Czech writers to stay patrician? I did contemporary modernists, thinking about doing the Chinese classics.

>>8621832
no
>>
>>8620797
please this is very important information
>>
What?
>>
This is a dumb request so I guess it fits here. I read the first page of The Goldfinch on amazon and I think it reads really well, very simple to digest yet still nice. Also the first person.
Yet I have no interest of reading the book, as it is kind of long and the summary doesn't interest me one bit.
So, got any other good recommendations for books with a writing style that sounds like what I described here?
>>
>>8623217
If you like the writing, then read the damn thing. Or, better yet, read more of it to get a better grasp of what it is before you dismiss it for inane reasons.
>>
>>8620772
why?
>>
>>8623238
It's higher on the new lit poll
>>
>>8623232
I'm not really in the mood for that kind of story, maybe one day
>>
>>8620753
moby dick unless you read to impress lit friends. then IJ.
>>
>>8623266
True lit friends would be more impressed by Moby-Dick.
>>
>>8620753
>Should I read Infinite Jest or Moby Dick next?
i dont know
>>
what's the best translation of oblomov?
>>
>>8623295
Magashark has a good one. I haven't read any others though. For Dostoevsky I know that magasharks translations are top 3 for me.
>>
I'm new to this board, what is a /lit/ approved book I should consider reading first.
>>
A question to writing:
How does one balance between quality and quantity?
>>
>>8624148
the great gatsby
>>
>>8624166
I read it in school and I didn't find it very interesting
>>
>>8624148
Lolita
>>
>>8623192
please
>>
>>8620753
What is Kranklis?

All I can discern from a google search is that he has something to do with the baltics and some manner of pudding cup?

He also seems to be the vintner of a cult wine. And possibly has something to do with nazis...
>>
How long does it take a highly literate person, maybe someone doing a PhD in English or philosophy, to read a 400 page novel? I know not all novels are made equal, but I just mean on average.
>>
>>8624148
naked lunch
book of tea
akutagawas short stories
mishima
john green
>>
>>8624279
I'm doing a masters and I read roughly 20 pages an hour. So about 20 hours for a 400 page book. It's not hard to read a lot, it's just about sitting down and reading. If you really get into a book you can usually read it in a day or two if you have nothing else on, it's just a matter of focusing on the book.

>>8624151
You're going to find that some sentences are great, some meh, and some shit. Keep the great, keep the meh and some of the shit. For longer works string the good bits together, for poetry it's different.

>>8624257
Karum is a snack, like a cracker or bisquit. I don't know why but it's becoming a meme on 4chan.
>>
>>8624346
>20 pages an hour
how is it even possible to be this slow? don't tell me you're a subvocalizer
>>
>>8624401
I wish I was a dyslexic and just read words without them having a tone or rhythm.
>>
>>8624401

>>20 pages an hour
>how is it even possible to be this slow?

this is entirely dependent upon the work being read; dense philosophy can be this laborious.

don't tell me you barely read difficult lit.
>>
>>8624413
So you'd rather fuck up reading the spelling more then reading it with enthusiasm. I'm dyslexic and I read 20-26 pages an hour. The grass isn't greener
>>
>>8624401
>>8624413

I don't think 20 pages are that bad. I can do up to 40 pages if reading a scientific paper and do no more than 30 pages per hour, sometimes less if I am reading a novel.

When it's philosophy it might go down to 20, who knows?

Certainly not fast, maybe below average, but definitely not horrible.

Also, what exactly is wrong with being a subvocalizer? It's not like I can turn it off.

There's only one cure and that is to read more.

Unless you have some magical way to get rid of it?
>>
Does white noise help with reading or is it a meme
>>
>>8624465
It may help block out external stimuli, which could help concentrate on actually reading. And it's unlikely you'll get distracted by it unlike music or a podcast

However, a large part of it is probably placebo effect
>>
>>8624279
Im a first year at uni (majoring in math not lit) and I read about 80-90 pages an hour. Someone PhD level in english should probably be at 120-130 pages an hour. Harold bloom read a 1000 pages an hour.
>>
whats the big boy equivalent of a wilderness type book like hatchet/my side of the mountain. Absolutely loved them in middle school, looking for wilderness recommendations
>>
Should I start Tolstoy with Anna Karenina or Resurrection?

>>8624148
Infinite Jest.
>>
>>8624545
Are you memeing? Harold Bloom said that he had a kind of dyslexia or autism and as a child would read two words at the same time. I don't think he ever read 1000 pages an hour. Try reading philosophy or some of the harder fiction and getting more than 20 pages per hour.

>>8624554
Anna Karenina is my favourite Tolstoy. When it all opens up it's really touching.
>>
>>8624550
Hamsun, Growth of the Soil?

Robinson Crusoe?
>>
File: giphy.gif (434KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
434KB, 612x612px
>>8624279
Just timed myself (undergrad Eng-Phil) reading catch-22 for an hour. I got through 49 pages, and it's my first time reading it. I don't think I subvocalise all the time, but I still hear the words in my head. It's kind of like speaking very fast but it doesn't feel sped up. Sometimes I can go very quickly and just glance at the start, middle, and end of a line and still have read the whole line. I think it comes down to practice.
>>
Which of DFW's works are worth reading? I'm close to finishing IJ, and while my thoughts on it are conflicted, I'm interested in seeing what else he could do.
>>
Which one of you faggots is this?
>>>/adv/17675441
>>
File: 1464979989494.jpg (3MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1464979989494.jpg
3MB, 3200x2400px
I just lost my job. I worked nine years as a maintenance mechanic at the Rockport Generating Station, which is coal energy plant.
Where can I get quality editions of Ennglish literature for free on the internet?
>>
Not sure if this is the right thread, but also not sure where else to ask.

I wanna buy a book of amazon and it says (C: 1-0-1) in the title. What does this refer to? Is it some kind of number of the print it's from? Is it even important?
>>
>>8620753
when confronted of a choice between two literatures, always choose the elder.
>>
>>8620753
I stopped reading TPK about halfway through to read a few other books. I can either finish reading TPK or finish reading Anna Karenina. Opinions?
>>
File: 81oi0iu8gjl-_sl1500_-570x869.jpg (81KB, 570x869px) Image search: [Google]
81oi0iu8gjl-_sl1500_-570x869.jpg
81KB, 570x869px
anyone read this? is it worth reading?
>>
>>8624646
Read a supposedly fun thing, actually my favourite of his works.

>>8627030
Gutenberg, bookz, seriously get a library card. City Libraries usually have a great selection and you can ask librarians to order in books.

>>8627142
Anna Karenina, no doubt.
>>
I'm looking for some books featuring nice descriptions of landscapes. Descriptions that make environments feel like a characters.
>>
This isn't a question but a rant.

The real losers of Dylan winning the Nobel are legit Dylan fans. If I post about him on /mu/ I'm told to go to /lit/ and if I post about him on /lit/ I'm told to go to /mu/.
>>
>>8624646
Trust me, once you finish IJ and let your thoughts mull over the following week it will just hit you how great it really was.

At least this is what happened in my case. I couldn't stop thinking about the book for the following two weeks.
>>
Why has /lit/ been more chill as of late?
>>
If I just can't get into a book should I drop it and come back to it later or force myself to read it?

Also what by Mann to read after Buddenbrooks?
>>
>>8629438
One thing I do when that happens is skip ahead, maybe 50 pages, maybe 100, maybe 75, etc, and see if I like the writing of a future passage. If I don't then I'll put the book down, if I do I keep reading.
>>
>>8627516
>J. J. Abrams
No
>>
>>8628213
So the fans are losers because they don't get to post on /mu/ anymore. Heavy, man.
Isn't his music barely music anyway? I know /mu/ has shit taste, but have you considered that they would have told you to fuck off before the Nobel too?
>>
>>8629489
kek, Dylan threads would get 100+ posts on a regular basis.
>>
Is it normal for Book Depository to be slow with emails? Forgot my password and did the reset thing over an hour ago, still haven't gotten an email even though they said it would be 5 minutes.
>>
File: IMG_1251.png (410KB, 600x736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1251.png
410KB, 600x736px
What are some good books about life in post-World War II America?

Both fictional and historical books is what I'm interested in
>>
should storyboarding to fill in gaps between scenes be counted as daily progress?
>>
Is this a good edition of GR to buy? I just like the cover a lot.
>>
>>8630940
>picador

pret. sure that is the spaniards version of the book
>>
File: GR.jpg (83KB, 624x923px) Image search: [Google]
GR.jpg
83KB, 624x923px
>>8630940
>>
>>8631000
Its UK, according to the Pynch's site itself
>>
How does /lit/ feel about sex scenes in novels? As long as they're not shoehorned in and graphic enough to practically be their own erotic short story.

Where's a good place to get answers to weird questions that you need to know for the sake of accuracy, when Google doesn't really help? Like questions about certain cultures, lifestyles, careers, etc.

I'm really great at dialogue and I can picture scenes in my head, but I'm terrible at illustrating those scenes (environments, actions, body language, etc) with words. Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>>8631020
Is this real

It's almost perfect
>>
Are TS Eliot's plays worth reading?

He seems to only get praise for his poems. I never hear much about his plays.
>>
Is there any recommended reading for King Lear? I've completely green on philosophy and judging by the commentary I've got there are a lot of references to things I'm not familiar with.
>>
>>8631445
>stock photo marking
>Is this real
>>
File: image.png (131KB, 353x334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
131KB, 353x334px
Does good prose give anyone else a real hardon? I'll be sitting there in the library reading my Proust as you do, and I'll come into some sentence where he's talking about trees and shade and memory and shit and he just says it so good you know, like he uses phrases like "virgilian groves" and "rat penetration" , and there's nothing sexual about it, dig? just a really good well flowing sentence and I think to myself wow that's a good bit of prose Marcel, but when I look down uh oh dick like diamonds and I won't be able to stand up for quite some time.

Anyone relate?
>>
>>8631645
Nah, you don't really need a lot of background reading to get Shakespeare. It's not like Joyce or Eliot, where knowledge of their allusions etc. is essential to the emotional impact. The effect of Shakespeare's drama is pretty straightforward, when you read it.
>>
Questions to writing:
How long should a chapter (a part/action/case) be? How many should be in a book?
>>
>>8631431
>I'm really great at dialogue and I can picture scenes in my head, but I'm terrible at illustrating those scenes (environments, actions, body language, etc) with words. Is there a way to fix this?
Mostly with dialogue you don't have to illustrate much detail about what they characters are doing or how they are acting. Readers will fill the details in. Obviously explain the setting and explain if anything unexpected happens from either of the characters, but writing isn't like directing, you don't have to labor over what the characters are actually doing. Good dialogue will make you aware of the body language just through the way they are talking.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.