[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Faerie Queene

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: The Faerie Queene.jpg (15KB, 267x380px) Image search: [Google]
The Faerie Queene.jpg
15KB, 267x380px
Can any /lit/izen enlighten me on why pic-related is considered a masterpiece of English literature, if not [[[the]]] English national epic?

It reads to me like a mountain of mediocrity dolled up in a pretty meter.
>>
>>8620636
Are you implying it's Jewish or what?
>>
>>8620695
I'm implying it sucks.
>>
>>8620702
You probably weren't the target audience
>>
Moments of extreme beauty punctuated by long sections of pointless ornateness. Spenser was really more a lyric than an epic poet, at the end of the day. Read the Bower of Bliss section.
>>
>>8620636
If the significance and beauty of it can't be conveyed through reading it, then none of the idiots on /lit/ are going to be able to enlighten you.
>>
If you come into it romanticizing Christianity it's truly incredible. I read it as an undergraduate when one of my mentors was a very conservative Catholic, and with his influence on me it was a really special experience.

I don't think I would enjoy it as much now.
>>
>>8620921
>I read it as an undergraduate when one of my mentors was a very conservative Catholic, and with his influence on me it was a really special experience.

hm, let me remember what it writes about the blind devotion (corceca) and sin (abessa) of the catholicism... the guy who "whoredom usd" with abessa it's kirkrapine, church robbery aka irish catholics:

>And all that he by right or wrong could find,
>Unto this house he brought, and did bestow
>Upon the daughter of this woman blind,
>Abessa, daughter of Corceca slow,
>With whom he whoredome usd, that few did know,
>And fed her fat with feast of offerings,
>And plentie, which in all the land did grow;
>Ne spared he to give her gold and rings:
>And now he to her brought part of his stolen things.

also about pope sixtus v (orgoglio) and falsehood/false religion (duessa), the knight there it's holiness aka england:

>So daunted when the Geaunt saw the knight,
>His heavie hand he heaved up on hye,
>And him to dust thought to have battred quight,
>Untill Duessa loud to him gan crye;
>O great Orgoglio, greatest under skye,
>O hold thy mortall hand for Ladies sake,
>Hold for my sake, and do him not to dye,°
>But vanquisht thine eternall bondslave make,
>And me, thy worthy meed, unto thy Leman take.

that poem is fiercely anti-catholic
>>
>Faerie Qveene
>Difpofed into twelue books

He clearly needed an editor.
>>
>>8621973
The f's are two long s's you illiterate fuck.
>>
>>8621959
>And me, thy worthy meed, unto thy Leman take.
What did she mean by this?
>>
I HATE SPENSER SO MUCH
>>
>>8622399
"lemman" is a term of endearment akin to "sweetheart"
>>
>>8622248
troled
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.