[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your favorite books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: favBooks.png (101KB, 496x640px) Image search: [Google]
favBooks.png
101KB, 496x640px
pic related is my list
>>
>>8620108
subjectively:
Blood Meridian
Lord of the Flies

objectively:
Lolita

That's about all I've read
>>
>>8620108
Epic troll!!
>>
>>8620108
The Golden ass
Crimes & punishment
The stranger
The Divine comedy
Highway 51
>>
>>8620115
>he likes popular books
>must be trolling
>>
>>8620120
There's a women and liberals on there
>>
>>8620120
It's DFW faggot
>>
>>8620159
What are you talking about? That wasn't in his list. Even if it was who cares, share yours.
>>
>>8620223
fuck you. suck my dick.
>>
>>8620223
The fucking OP is DFW'S list you fucking retard
>>
>>8620355
Oh my bad kek
>>
Oh brother. Those are all wrong my friend. Except for "The Screwtape Letters." That novel is hot.

Bless bless.
>>
>>8620108
>The Idiot, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I really relate to the particular type of mental instability that Dostoyevsky describes in pretty much all of his work. A character starts talking, and things start getting out of control and become increasingly animated, intense and disturbing. It reads like an extreme version of how I feel whenever I have to interact with humans. The Idiot is probably my favourite of his works, because I love Nastasya Filipovna, Aglaya Ivanovna Epanchin, Rogozhin... I think a lot of my friends think I'm a bit like Nastasya! Anyway, it's the most cartoonish and absurd of everything I've read by Dostoyevsky, and the best distillation of insanity as a virtue. A Baz Luhrmann-esque treatment of this book would make an incredible film.

>The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
For some reason I became enraptured by this book as a teenager. It smelled really amazing and dusty. I think our copy was from the 1940s and the pages would crumble as I turned them. I've never been so careful while reading a book, and I think that really endeared it to me. I'm very calmed by methodical descriptions of farming. The images of opium addiction amongst the wealthy Chinese aristocracy, who 'smoked the flesh off their bones', always come back to my mind; it's so decadent and horrifying.

>Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
This book scared the shit out of me. I picked it up after watching the film adaptation by Tarkovsky, which is one of my favourite movies. Sometimes I feel like the only explanation for human life is that our planet is a terrible god. I like thinking that planets are living, sentient behemoths that we completely misunderstand. I'm horrified to think what it would be like if such an abstract sentience had no regard for us, or enjoying toying with us. The act of repeatedly killing a doppelganger or a loved one seems so horrific; how could anyone think of something so awful? Whenever people pour cream into coffee in a clear glass, it reminds me of this book, because that's what I imagine the surface of Solaris to look like.

>The Flowers of Evil by Charles Baudelaire
I'm not typically interested in poetry, but I discovered The Flowers of Evil in high school as I was just becoming a goth and getting into Trent Reznor – and everyone else was getting into the Beat poets, who I find comparably boring if we're going to discuss druggy, surrealist poetry. This work is so visceral, filthy and gorgeously written. It feels like a distillation of the opium scenes from Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth, but more abstract and extensively documented. This one poem is just a disgusting, sexual description of a corpse that is permanently burned into my mind.
>>
File: 003k.jpg (20KB, 400x588px)
003k.jpg
20KB, 400x588px
If on a winters night a traveller
House of Leaves
Ulysses
The amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Yes in that order

Fight me
>>
>>8620108
>Lewis, King, Clancy

Wee lad
DFW detected
>>
>>8620223
Jesus Christ.
This is the type of person you're interacting with on /lit/, remember that...
>>
Whatever happened to that book poll we had.
>>
>>8620574
I'd love to fucking murder you.
>>
File: 2016-10-14 22.51.35.jpg (68KB, 349x242px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-14 22.51.35.jpg
68KB, 349x242px
The Ego and Its Own

The Stranger

The Plague
>>
idk

Phantom Tollbooth
Dracula
Book of the New Sun

idk, haven't really read enough to say. Been reading more lately though. Was reading about a book per month last year, and then I started Gravity's Rainbow and it took me a fucking year to finish, partly because it was such a slow read, confusing, and not even enjoyable at many parts, and also partly because I was living in an apartment on a busy street where it was too noisy to even concentrate on reading, which was hell. But I finished Gravity's Rainbow like a month ago. The ending was shit. Made no sense. Very disappointing. Other parts were great. Loved the Pokler episode, but the ending was shit IMO. Then I read Peace by Gene Wolfe, which I loved. Finished it last week, and now I'm reading Flash Boys.
>>
>>8620567
>Solaris
I watched The Mirror by Tarkovsky. The plot was weird, but the camera work was incredible. Easily the most visually beautiful film I've seen. I mean holy fuck. I'd never seen anything like it before. It gave me an entirely new appreciation for film and photography and direction. It's like every shot is fucking perfect. Then I started reading about some other Soviet directors, and I started watching the films of this one animator, Yuriy Norshteyn, and the same thing happened where it gave me a totally new appreciation for animation. I think that so many major films have the same kind of pixar/dreamworks animation style these days, that to see something so different was just shocking in a great way. It was so expressive. Been meaning to watch Solaris and also Andrei Rublev.
>>
File: CskdfaOUAAElCGo.jpg large.jpg (31KB, 520x700px) Image search: [Google]
CskdfaOUAAElCGo.jpg large.jpg
31KB, 520x700px
The Fortune of the Rougons
Me Myself and My Milkshop
Willful Disobedience
Technological Slavery
Blessed is the Flame
>>
File: 1458400731456.png (230KB, 488x360px) Image search: [Google]
1458400731456.png
230KB, 488x360px
Genre fiction tier:
LOTR trilogy
Discworld series
Dark Tower series
Warhammer books

/lit/core:
The Stranger
Notes from Underground
Infinite Jest

/co/ = lit:
Watchmen
The Sandman
V for Vendetta

Poetry:
Shakespeare's gay Sonnets
Gaiman's poems and short stories
Bob Dylan :^]
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.