[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did being a recluse hurt his career?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: 1446786917108.jpg (85KB, 620x410px) Image search: [Google]
1446786917108.jpg
85KB, 620x410px
did being a recluse hurt his career?
>>
that and the fact that a lot of people find his work extremely inaccessible
>>
no,

it made people very intrigued and ignited speculation about him. people read his books, and fell back cackling, and thought, hmmm what's he gonna do next, this trickster?
>>
>>8618556
kek
>>
>>8618556
you're memeing but him being a recluse is magnetic for people, especially with a reputation of making 'crazy genius' type works.
>>
>>8618433
It's the sole reason that he's a meme nowadays
>>
> tfw pinecone is the unabomber writing in prison under a pseudonym
>>
>>8618977
That would be nice, but sadly his manifesto is written like shit. It would at least resemble tommy pinecone syntax
>>
>>8618951
lit also let's people imagine him just like they want to
>>
>>8619088
*it
>>
Is Gravity's Rainbow unironically a good book?

I'm tempted to buy it, but I get the impression that no one actually finished it.

It can't be harder than JR or Infinite Jest...
>>
>>8618433
he doesnt care about his "career" he just likes writing. It's obvious.
>>
>>8618433
>career
gross american
>>
>>8619101

It can't be harder than Infinite Jest

lol
>>
>>8619118
>
here, you dropped this
>>
>>8618951
He's not a recluse though, he was even on the Simpsons ffs
>>
>>8619118
I should have said 'much' harder.
>>
>>8619101
Where the fuck did all this JR talk come from all of a sudden. A few month ago nothing and now it's some sort of meme book?

Anyway, yes, GR is "unironically" good. As to whether or not it's hard, well, aside from the incredible prose it's a pretty straightforward post-modern book
>>
>>8618433
Pynchon is a shit writer though, newfags will defend him but all he's good for is a quick laugh, his novels lack any depth and pseuds think his prose is great because he'll write gibberish in between something sensical.
Truly a case of the emperor's new clothes, but I don't find it flabbergasting since most people have been plebs.
>>
File: harold-bloom_300x304.jpg (21KB, 300x304px) Image search: [Google]
harold-bloom_300x304.jpg
21KB, 300x304px
>>8619221
>newfags will defend him
>newfags
>>
>>8619157
Looks like you're new here.
>>
>>8619234
let me ask you this: do you know, for sure, that Mr. Bloom has ever posted here before?
>>
>>8618433
Pynchon isn't a recluse. The only reason why people leave him alone is because not many people give a shit about him. If he was some TV celebrity or something people would be stalking him all the time.
>>
>>8619221
throw in 1500+ characters, and it's genius!
>>
>>8619330
t. doesn't get literature
>>
>>8619157
Gaddis was memed to hell and back pretty much all year. That and his main two books (The Recognitions and J R) go in and out of print every now and then because Dalkey has the rights and his stuff just doesn't sell period.

Though he definitely deserves to be held up to the same level as Pinecone more than DFW did.
>>
>>8619101
>Is Gravity's Rainbow unironically a good book?

I don't really know. Pynchon as a whole is something that shouldn't have been popular, yet somehow GR is legendary. I don't know. I enjoyed V. and GR and IV and M&D is coming along nicely. I can't really figure out how this makes a great writer.

In the end, it just pisses you off that someone with such intellect, creativity, and writing ability wastes it on perverted shit eating fetishes, magic and witches, batshit stories and hallucinations, partnered with scientific analogy, metaphor, and historical lessons.

I don't know, but they are fun.
>>
>>8618433
It's the only reason he's more popular than Gaddis, Barth, Coover, Gass, McElroy, Sorrentino, Elkin, Markson etc.
>>
>>8619101
It's the single most striking example of meta fiction and inarguably the best utilisation of the tools of post modernism but if you don't dig that you won't dig Tommy.

But man it you do read it, stick it out to the ending; I finished it yesterday and I literally can't think about anything else. And postmodern stuff like meta fiction usually bores me. It's a funny slapstick book, but the ending hits like a tonne of bricks.
>>
>>8621157
I've always wanted to read a realist novel from Pynchon, just to see how he'd do it.
>>
>writing
>career

you have a better chance of bouncing a ball kid
>>
>>8621157
>wastes it on perverted shit eating fetishes

pleb detected
way to take things literally, sperg
>>
>>8619820
>JR barely sells any copies

I don't know if this is a bad thing or a good thing
>>
>>8618433
>did being a recluse hurt his career?
i dont know
>>
>>8618433
after seeing all the books from him Americans voted in our most recent top 100 list, I have to say no.
>>
>>8621157
>wastes
GG getting cucked by the complex.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.