[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of Greek Philosophy was based off Anciet Egyptian philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: egypt.jpg (58KB, 945x531px) Image search: [Google]
egypt.jpg
58KB, 945x531px
what would you say? how much of it was original
>>
>"An explanation not lacking in truth could be that the arts and philosophy were discovered many times, and many times lost. And that these ideas are, in a way, fragments of ancient wisdom that have survived to our time". - Aristotle (Metaphysics)

Everything. Everybody stole everything.
>>
>>8617860
what?
>>
>>8617859
in my day first replies were usually made by the most intelligent and thoughtful individuals. they would convey more meaning in a short phrase than the entire thread might put forward. this is a disgrace
>>
>>8617723
It's unclear what the intellectual traditions in Egypt actually were, especially from the period. The Greeks in general made a lot of claims that they'd been told this or that by Egyptian priests who were consulting written records, but a lot of what they say is bullshit- for obvious examples the chronology in Herodotus is frightfully wrong, and Diodorus (IIRC) offered a bullshit explanation of how hieroglyphics worked that confused scholars for centuries.

That said, it seems likely that at least one philosophical idea did come from Egypt- Thales' that all things came from water- i.e the god Nu or Nun, cf. also the Ogdoad.
>>
>>8618210
where have you been for the last 3 years?
>>
>>8617860
>Everything. Everybody stole everything.
That's my idea.
>>
There's no originality in philosophy. It's not art.
>>
WE WUZ FILOSOFERZ N' SHIET
>>
>>8617723
>egyptian philosophy
Pftt. Also it doesn't matter who stole from who. Greeks were the first ones to systematically analyse thoughts and concepts and that's what makes them important.
>>
It's called mutual cross-cultural contamination
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 374x430px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 374x430px
>>8617723
WE
>>
>>8618956

It's true. The central concern of metaphysics is the eternal.
>>
I will answer this for you; We don't know.
>>
>>8619290

For you.
>>
>>8617723
Going by what we know of the Egyptians, philosophy is entirely a Greek creation.

There are too many people who erroneously equate philosophy with mythology and mythologizing. Yeah, the epic poets of Greece influenced the original sages, but there is a MASSIVE difference between the poets and mythologizers in Greece and Egypt, and then a man like Thales, the first "philosopher" — suddenly there is this pretext that what he is saying, as mystical in appearance and sound as it may be, is meant to be a declaration of reality itself, a grasping of the world at hand... an almost scientific pretext (and naturally, alchemy was born from early philosophical musings, and science from alchemy). That is something you do not see anywhere in mythology, Greek or Egyptian or Sumerian or whatever, at least based on the documents and artifacts we've managed to recover from those ancient civilizations.

People will argue that mythology was those civilizations' way of waxing philosophical. But this is where you are making your great mistake. Philosophy is NOT mythology. Mythology is art; it does not represent the reality. It poeticizes aspects of reality through our subconscious melding. Philosophy is direct analysis and formalized study of the reality.

Philosophy starts with the Greeks, even if certain ideas or inspirations were drawn from older civilizations.
>>
>>8619296

>modern man thinking his positivistiv reasoning is superior to traditional esoteric thought.

Never gonna win this game that way brah. You're sleeping
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.