[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Name Of The Wind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: Kingkiller-Chronicles-1024x669.jpg (121KB, 1024x669px) Image search: [Google]
Kingkiller-Chronicles-1024x669.jpg
121KB, 1024x669px
It is a really good book?or does its missing something?
>>
>>8617327

>>8611475
>>
>>8617327

I'm nearly finished with the first book. It's okay but what really annoys me everyone is witty for the sole purpose of it being witty because it is fantasy and a lot of the chapters don't really feel like they are going anywhere.

Devi best girl tied with Fela
>>
yeah, thats kind of what i feel. But that also makes me kind of axious and i really want to read the next book. I finish the book yesterday.
>>
File: 1447347515607.gif (3MB, 378x225px) Image search: [Google]
1447347515607.gif
3MB, 378x225px
>>8617335

tfw not one fucking scene of /ss/ with Devi and Kvothe
>>
>>8617327
Book of the year, brav. where else will you have all the bitching about being poor and sex with hot amazons
>>
I really enjoyed it and the sequel, it has a lot of attention to detail and if you don't pay attention you might miss something important, also it makes me care for most of the characters, however it annoys the fuck out of me that the author refuses to fucking tie shit together, Qvothe is supossedly telling the story of how he arrived to where he is right now yet the only thing explained is the name of his bar, he fucking gets a sword at the end of the second book but that isn't even the one he has in display... fuck the saga is called kingkiller and he has yet to even meet a king.

I believe the reason the third book is taking so long is because Rothfuss has no idea how to tie shit together because he decided to go full RR Martin mode and started sub-plot after sub-plot and now he doesn't have enough time to wrap it all up in a single book
>>
it's awful, also just keep to you cancerous general
>>
File: 1328058437793.png (11KB, 286x290px) Image search: [Google]
1328058437793.png
11KB, 286x290px
>>8618260
>keep to you cancerous general
>>
>>8617327
Kwothe is an unbearable jerk. Other than that, it's just 2nd rate cheap D&D-tier fantasy.
>>
File: Untitled.png (65KB, 1018x552px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
65KB, 1018x552px
Self-insert fantasy is the worst
>>
Mary Sue bullshit is never enjoyable. He literally fucks a sex goddess and he is so good at sex ,even though it was his first time, that she falls in love with Kvothe. I personally didn't enjoy it, but maybe you do OP.
>>
>>8618702

That is a good review that will be misunderstood by most.
>>
>>8618805
>He literally fucks a sex goddess and he is so good at sex ,even though it was his first time, that she falls in love with Kvothe.
Just like my animes
>>
>>8618824
Can't believe you baited me into reading that
>>
I'm halfway through the first book, but I haven't picked it up in a month or so. Actually, I'm a bit scared of picking it up again. I do plan to finish it eventually.

The beginning was very good, but Tarbean and the university were meh. I really hope it will pick up again, and it's not just university hijinks from now on. Somehow everything is more "petty" than before, even the stuff tied to the legends. If it turns out Ambrose is the king he kills, I may have to burn the books.
This might tie in with "searching for a legend, and finding a lizard", but I'm still searching for a legend when reading fantasy.

>>8618840
Now that you say it, he does have an uncanny resemblance to LN protags.
>>
>>8618260
this

not /lit/
>>
>>8618921

>If it turns out Ambrose is the king he kills, I may have to burn the books.

But that would imply something actually happening in the two books that moved the story forward. If you're expecting anything of the sort then you're going to very disappointed.
>>
>>8617327
>It is a really good book?
Yes.
>does its missing something?
Reading the book, maybe?
>>
The Wise Man’s Fear was worth the wait. I gulped it down in a day, staying up almost to dawn reading, and I am already itching for the next one. He’s bloody good, this Rothfuss guy.

– George R.R. Martin
>>
>>8618805
>he is so good at sex ,even though it was his first time, that she falls in love with Kvothe

That is not at all why, god. I'm not some fanboy, I read it, it was passable in ways, cringy in others. Kvothe lived with the goddess because he somehow had learned her 'true' name, like the name of the wind blah blah, and thereby held power over her. She allowed him to live out of fear to begin with, which turns into a teacher/student/lover situation.

If you're going to talk shit about the book at least try harder m8.
>>
>>8619072
Interesting, they had the exact same quote printed on the cover of my "Name of the Wind". Except they had to clarify who George is, as "the writer of Game of Thrones". I guess this quote will come back knocking every time Rothfuss writes something from now on.
>>
>>8619086

Yeah and then he went and talked to an evil tree.
>>
>>8619072

>The modern state of fantasy

Nothing even happened in the second book. Kvothe got better at fighting, having sex, and now he has some money but that's it. He's in the exact same position as he was at the end of the first book.
>>
>>8619086
It was just an excuse for having sex. It's a way better excuse than "transfering mana", but still. That was her purpose.
The writer didn't ask himself "If he knew her name, how would it play out?". He asked himself "He should have sex with a goddess, and she will fall in love with her. How will I make that happen?".
>>
yea, maybe the thing is that the book is just a narration of kvothe, and thats what made Patrick Rothfuss get a little bit messy with the stroty and how to put things together and go on with the story.
>>
The Name of the Wind is in fact very good.

I can't say the story is all that unique, and the MC is another of those hideously broken/overpowered characters that you're left mostly waiting for him to slip up somehow--but as long as that isn't an automatic fail to you then you'll most likely enjoy it quite a bit.

The author incorporates poetic elements into his writing, which is very pleasant. He ensured the mythology of his world wasn't too lackluster like all-too-many other authors fail to do. Most importantly, to me anyway, he can make the story flow (when he doesn't flashback to the "present" at least) affluently without neglecting imagery much.
>>
>>8619279
I think that´s what makes The Name Of the Wind different from other fiction books, the autor gives some kind of importances to other things (not just talk about the magic adventures of kvothe) he also wanted to makes us feel the power of music and his impact in us, humans, for example.
>>
>>8617327
I clicked this thinking it was a Name of the Rose thread. Fuck you.
>>
>>8618702
to be fair, I found him irritating for a while too and he seemed to be a mary sue type, but he fucks up so stupidly at times (maybe because the author can't keep up with the supposed brilliance of his character) that he ends up being quite flawed. He's arrogant and learns faster than anyone, but he's not consistently intelligent let alone wise
>>
>>8619895
His fuckups annoyed me the most. They happen because he is a Mary Sue who is not just excellent in everything, he is one that everyone loves by default.
The fuckups are there to make enemies, and they just didn't need to happen. All he had to do is not be super arrogant about how much of a badass he is. I felt like many conflicts were his fault, and then he used his MarySueness to shit on the other guys.
>>
>>8618219
>I believe the reason the third book is taking so long is because Rothfuss has no idea how to tie shit together because he decided to go full RR Martin mode and started sub-plot after sub-plot and now he doesn't have enough time to wrap it all up in a single book.

Well, one if the first things he said when we got the first book was 'I have already all of this written, I just have to rewrite it. Also, no one picked my story because no one wanted to publish a 3k book, so now there'll be 3. Also! No one says anything about resolving the mysteries of that world in just 3 books.'
>>
File: 1465523199522.png (86KB, 428x1524px) Image search: [Google]
1465523199522.png
86KB, 428x1524px
>>
File: 1468363855206.jpg (801KB, 2100x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1468363855206.jpg
801KB, 2100x1052px
>>8621343
Wrong image, but it does communicate exactly how insufferable Rothfuss is
>>
>>8619335
No, that's just him being a pretentious fuck. Writing about music isn't anything different or unique.
>>8621349
This sounds more fun than what the book actually was.
Also, is Rothfuss a virgin?
>>
Haven't read it yet but from what I'm getting from this thread it seems like anime wish-fulfillment in novel form.
>>
>>8618160

She was such a fucking tease too, a hot tease but still mad he didn't tap that and spent a good portion of the book lusting after boring Dianna. Kvothe had much better chemistry with Devi or Fela

>>8618219

I'm guessing he'll end up getting rid of the name trilogy attached to it considering there's too many loose plot points that need to be tied together.

Also thoughts on my Abenthy theory? I think he either, isn't real as in he could've been the disguise of someone else relating to the Chandrians, possibly to alert them over who is spreading false statements about them. But it seems entirely odd Kvothe's troup was basically murdered after Abenthy and his father were talking about his potential and how he would never flourish in a place like this. I definitely think Ben had some sort of hand in the slaughter, definitely think there is a lot more sinister things to the character other than being a simple traveling salesman.
>>
>>8621368
Judging by the way he writes his sex scenes, yes
>>
>>8621371
I don't think there's much room for speculation here. Everyone is who they are from the moment we see them. Every "villain" is introduced as a complete asshole from the get go, before they even do something.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.