[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Suppose two men at cards with nothing to wager save their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

>Suppose two men at cards with nothing to wager save their lives. Who has not heard such a tale? A turn of the card. The whole universe for such a player has labored clanking to this moment which will tell if he is to die at that man’s hand or that man at his. What more certain validation of a man’s worth could there be? This enhancement of the game to its ultimate state admits no argument concerning the notion of fate. The selection of one man over another is a preference absolute and irrevocable and it is a dull man indeed who could reckon so profound a decision without agency or significance either one. In such games as have for their stake the annihilation of the defeated the decisions are quite clear. This man holding this particular arrangement of cards in his hand is thereby removed from existence. This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one’s will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god.

holy.....
>>
>>8616892
Who's the one who wrote this and can we throw him in a gas chamber?
>>
>>8616892
Only one enemy remained; two if you counted war.
>>
Futurism?
What is this? It sounds interesting yet sick.
>>
>>8616892
Is "holy" used in jest or seriously? I can't tell sometimes
>>
>>8616913
...i want more...
>>
>>8616892
gnostic themes thanks
>>
>it is a dull man indeed who could reckon so profound a decision without agency or significance
so he bases his reasoning on whatever he finds to be the least dull? absolute garbage.
>>
>>8617937

It's called irony, my dude.
>>
>>8618054

/lit/ you are so fucking incompetent at reading comprehension and logically illiterate, it's fucking killing me.
>>
>>8617929
Lol it's cormac McCarthy .

But more to the point, it's Schopenhauer. In other words McCarthy basically rips Schopenhauer's idea of the Will to Life here.
>>
>>8618080
it's garbage
>>
>>8616892
>Dude war is like a chess game xdddd
>>
File: 1475684875672.png (294KB, 680x1098px) Image search: [Google]
1475684875672.png
294KB, 680x1098px
>>8616892
This is pretty good until the hackeneyed war analogy. Talk about explaining your own metaphor. The mark of a great writer is knowing when to stop.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>8618110

>The selection of one man over another is a preference absolute and irrevocable and it is a dull man indeed who could reckon so profound a decision without agency or significance either one.

The "selection" being made here is by fate, a 'preference absolute and irrevocable", and a man would be dull to not realize he "choice" to enter his life as a wager was of some significance, given that "the whole universe for such a player has labored clanking to this moment".

You fucking slime mold.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (68KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
68KB, 1440x1080px
>>8618120
damn......... made me think.......
>>
>>8618123
they were already talking about war before that point

maybe LE READ LE BOOK??!!!! XD
>>
>>8618077
That is literally what I asked, my dude.
>>
>>8619435

You posed your question as a disjunction between comedy and seriousness, when irony is a fusion of the two. Ya dummy.
>>
File: memecarthy.png (432KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
memecarthy.png
432KB, 600x350px
>>
>>8616892

I really need to read Blood Meridian
>>
>>8616892

I read this passage a couple days ago.

It's Blood Meridian by Cormac Mccarthy

Such a brutal novel, going to finish it tonight.

The Judge, man, that's all I'll say.
>>
>>8616901
>>8617929
>>8617940
>>>/out/
>>
File: 1472945211361.png (137KB, 764x604px) Image search: [Google]
1472945211361.png
137KB, 764x604px
>>8619435
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S8470021
>>
>>8619952
Prepare your anus for the ending.
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 1131x1600px
>faggots
>>
>>8620230

Just did. I'm dancing brother.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.