[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to Philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: very concered frog.jpg (55KB, 500x473px) Image search: [Google]
very concered frog.jpg
55KB, 500x473px
So /lit/ help me out with this

I was reading the dialogue between Socrates and Thrasymachus

Thrasymashus says that what is right is to obey the interests of the stronger party (aka a government), Socrates says that if the stronger party makes a mistake and then the people following the laws are no longer really doing what is right because the law is no longer to the interest of the stronger party.

Thrasymachus says that a craftsman, such as a mathematician, or a doctor; cannot make a mistake. So a ruler cannot make a mistake and does whats best for himself, so "right" is when the subject follows the laws made.

My problem is that this makes zero fucking sense, a doctor and a mathematician can make mistakes, insomuch as a ruler can. How the fuck then can Thrasymachus say that they cannot make mistakes?
>>
I did not read this particular dialogue but it's pretty obvious that the >implication is that even if these craftsmen make mistakes, they do so not out of malice or incompetence, but because such things are inevitable therefore it's foolish to consider them such.
>>
>>8615777
I don't think that's what they were getting at, but thanks!
>>
>>8615748
>a doctor and a mathematician can make mistakes,

A doctor can make mistakes, i.e. scalpeling the wrong organ, but surely a mathematician can't. The mathematician discovers mathematics.
If he's making a mistake it must either be in his own calculations or a fault in the fabric of his doctrine.

IDK

I don't think we actually get any points for reading gay ass greek things.

If you're new to Philosophy you might as well skip the greeks, they're redundant now anyway.
>>
>>8615748
Even if a doctor, leader or mathematician can make mistakes, these guys are still experts, so your best bet, as a layperson, is to trust them (in matters where their expertise is relevant, obviously).
>>
>>8615748

I have left 4chan for ilxor due to years of swedish mismanagement and preferential treatment for certain writers and poets holding certain political and ideological views. The situation has gotten especially worse since the appointment of Bob Dylan as Greatest Poet of All Time, culminating in the seemingly unjustified firings of several valuable meme-writers. As an act of protest, I have chosen to redact all the comments I've ever made on 4chan, overwriting them with this message. If you would like to do the same, install TamperMonkey for Chrome, GreaseMonkey for Firefox, NinjaKit for Safari, Violent Monkey for Opera, or AdGuard for Internet Explorer (in Advanced Mode), then add this GreaseMonkey script. Finally, click on your username at the top right corner of 4chan, click on comments, and click on the new OVERWRITE button at the top of the page. You may need to scroll down to multiple comment pages if you have commented a lot. After doing all of the above, you are welcome to join me on ilxor!
>>
File: 1432323884812-0.png (26KB, 431x499px) Image search: [Google]
1432323884812-0.png
26KB, 431x499px
>>8615748
He's highlighting the difference between utilitarian and humanitarian prerogatives.
A craftsman is always performing his craft correctly in as far as his goal is the same no matter what errors he will make, his end is the production of a form, and when he makes errors they are simply miscalculations that create unwanted difference between what he has created and what he is trying to create.
The reason for all of this is mostly because the craftsman is concerned with particulars and not particulars except in that his reasons for doing the craft might be of a more universal, philosophical nature, but that's besides the point.

In things like philosophy, "mistakes" are a much more frightening concept because these universal ideas dictate particulars, for instance a religious craftsman will create religious art, or a barbaric craftsman will create something to harm others; the criteria which determines what they choose to make is of a universal nature, not a particular one.
The particular is the stroke of the brush on canvas, the universal is the end to which this activity is directed.
>>
>>8616197
>particulars and not particulars
m( particulars and not universals
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.