[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alcoholism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: Turmeric for Alcoholism.jpg (10KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Turmeric for Alcoholism.jpg
10KB, 600x400px
Hey /lit/, I'm looking for recs on books about alcoholism, and how it destroys someone's life. Could also be poetry. Thanks desu.
>>
Don't think there are any. It always turns out good for people who drink in books
>>
>>8611885
I suggest asking tumblr on this one.
>>
>>8611885
Under the volcano
>>
File: .png (140KB, 305x239px) Image search: [Google]
.png
140KB, 305x239px
Poetry destroyed my life, then I started drinking.
>>
My diary desu.

Is it normal to still be shaking on the third day sober, lads?
>>
>>8611885
What's with the filename?
>>
>>8611915
I have no clue
>>
the woman who walked through doors by roddy doyle
>>
>>8611924
http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/benefits-of-turmeric-for-alcoholism

Found your image source. Guess I'll be eating some yellow food.
>>
Canon of alcoholism has to start with Iceman Cometh

> 'Tis cool beneath they willow trees
>>
Pretty much any Bukowski, if read correctly.
>>
>>8611909
don't be quitting cold turkey for christ sakes

it carries actual health hazards to quit alcohol cold turkey
>>
>>8611946
there was booze in bukowski's stuff? Where?
>>
Poe
>>
>>8611885
Read Raymond Carver
>>
>>8611984
G R A V Y
R
A
V
Y
>>
>>8611946
>if read correctly
I agree with this. I think that a lot of /lit/'s hatred of Bukowski has to do with people believing that Bukowski was proud of his life or his work.
>>
>>8611896
came to post this
>>
>>8611979
Factotum
>>
>>8611946
>and how it destroys someone's life

bukowski becam pretty famous with his drinking style
>>
>>8611885
Wolfgang Hilbig, a german author is pretty based
>>
File: iur.jpg (22KB, 208x306px) Image search: [Google]
iur.jpg
22KB, 208x306px
Big Sur

>I can hear myself whining again 'Why does God torture me?' - But anybody who's never had a delirium tremens even in their early stages may not understand that it's not so much a physical pain but a mental anguish indescribable to those ignorant people who don't drink and accuse drinkers of irresponsibility - The mental anguish is so intense that you feel you have betrayed your very birth, the efforts nay the birth pangs of your mother when she bore you and delivered you to the world, you've betrayed every effort your father ever made to feed you and raise you and make you strong and my God even 'educate' you for life, you feel a guilt so deep you identify yourself with the devil and God seems far away abandoning you to your sick silliness - You feel sick in the greatest sense of the world, breathing without believing it, sicksicksick, your soul groans, you look at your helpless hands as tho they were on fire and you can't move to help, you look at the world with dead eyes, there's on your face an expression of incalculable repining like a constipated angel on a cloud - In fact it's actually a cancerous look you throw on the world, through browngray wool fuds over your eyes - Your tongue is white and disgusting, your teeth are stained, your hair seems to have dried out overnight, there are huge mucks in the corners of your eyes, greases on your nose, froth at the sides of your moth: in short that very disgusting and well-known hideousness everybody knows who's walked past a city street drunk in the Boweries of the world
>>
>>8611979
I've only read his Chinaski novels, but as I recall every other page he's spending his last dollar on a bottle of port wine before he feels up another wench.
>>8611991
Someone said that every war book is a pro-war book and an anti-war book. I think the same applies to Bukowski: you either totally buy into the glorification of the lifestyle, or you're repulsed by it. Which reading Bukowski intended, I can't quite say.
>>8612007
Chinaski didn't.
>>
>>8612030
>I've only read his Chinaski novels, but as I recall every other page he's spending his last dollar on a bottle of port wine before he feels up another wench.

I dunno, I think you're thinking of somebody else. I don't remember anything like that.
>>
>>8611966
I've been tapering, this is just the last stretch of it, but it's still feeling pretty jittery and unstable. I'm not at DT risk, but thanks for looking out senpai.

I just thought the unsteady hands would be over within 24 hours after my last drink.
>>
>>8612033
You're kidding right?
>>
>>8612024
That's beautiful and sad at the same time.
>>
>>8611885
SRO by Robert Deane Pharr.
>>
>>8612052
Stop trolling dude, not falling for it.
>>
>>8612035
How much do you guys drink to get to this point? I've been IPA six packs daily for years and never experienced anything aside from super vivid dreams/nightmares when I take a break. I never even got the shakes when I was in my absinthe phase. Honestly the detox from weed is worse since I can barely sleep for 5 days.
>>
>>8612066

Same. 12-packs a night for weeks or months will lead to slightly shaky hands but nothing crazy, and "withdrawal" if I stop is comparable to pot "withdrawal".

Only time I've had really freaky shit was from drinking at least a case of beer a day for several days and stopping suddenly, then I've had crazy shakes and the most bizarre nightmares, like actually being in a horrible parallel dimension.
>>
>>8612066
I was an alky for like 15 years, never got dts. It's just more of a body makeup thing, some people get them, some don't.
>>
>>8612066
Ten to twenty drinks a day will get you dependent quickly.

A six pack a day probably won't, but you will do yourself plenty of damage in the long run.
>>
>>8612073
>>8612075
>>8612084
I must just be lucky. Still want to quit or at least cut it back to the weekends. I've been having some luck switching to Victory 12 because it's strong enough to get me out of my head for a bit but I don't wake up wanting to die the next morning.
>>
>>8612090
>I must just be lucky

I don't see how, real alcoholism is a nightmare with or without dts.
>>
>>8612075
I believe this is the case. I'm the other way around, after a strong bender I saw the devil staring back at me whenever I closed my eyes.
>>
>>8612097
People who don't get hangovers quickly are probably the most at risk, they don't get slapped on the wrist for the damage they're doing.
>>
>>8612101
I'd get hangovers all the time, even when I was full blown alky. Damn hangovers were kind of nightmarish, lasted a week, towards the end there.

The symptoms are different for everyone, but it's all a living hell.
>>
>>8612107
Are you dry now? If so how long and does it get easier?
>>
>>8612097
I still function relatively well and don't go around racking up DUIs, ruining relationships, and generally being a fuck up. It's certainly had negative effects but it could a lot worse considering how stressed out and miserable I was at points during those years. My job was killing me and I haven't had a gf in twelve years so I could've just dove in and never resurfaced.
>>
>>8612111
Yeah, I've been sober a few years.

Believe it or not, life is way easier without it. The hard part is getting to the point, putting yourself through such a miserable hell for decades, until you recognize all the lies you're telling yourself, and figure out there's no coming out of this on top. A lot of people die before they reach that point. Way she goes...
>>
>>8612116
Ever get tempted when the world fucks with you too much?

I think I mostly drink as a sedative to deal with being around people.
>>
>>8612113
>I still function relatively well and don't go around racking up DUIs, ruining relationships, and generally being a fuck up

That's fine, but neither did I. You can't really rate your alcoholism, as it's different from everyone, some people go around pingponging their cars down the street, blowing snot into every skank they get a chance too, and beg for change outside the unemployment office. Some people just sit in their rooms and drink Sake for four days straight, sober up, write a few chapters in their book, and then drink again.

It's all the same shit though, really.
>>
>>8612129
>Ever get tempted when the world fucks with you too much?

Not really. The world will always fuck with you, I mean...if I had the power the world did, I'd fuck with everyone too. It's just the way life is, I used to think some people were born lucky and the world didn't fuck with them, then I realized that it fucked them just as hard, but they just had a better attitude about it. It's not your misfortunes that make you, hopefully, it's how you kick your misfortunes in the ass and still make something out of yourself.

if your misfortunes made you...well, then you're probably a dead asshole nobody cared about.
>>
File: Ablutions.jpg (31KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
Ablutions.jpg
31KB, 325x499px
Ablutions by Patrick Dewitt

If you liked Confederacy Of Dunces, you will enjoy this weird little gem.
>>
>>8611887
Could you give some examples? I'd like to read this
>>
>>8611885
not lit but you should at least watch leaving las vegas
>>
>>8611885
ham on rye shows how it becomes, and how sloppy you will probably be if you go down that road. bukowski is a great writer, as an example but not as an intellect. i enjoy his work as i do salingers
>>
I drank a bottle of wine
and gin today

I finished my masters-degree and am unemployed now.

Am i on the way into my grave?
>>
>>8612340
did you mix them?
>>
>>8611885
never read it, only saw the billy wilder film, but the lost weekend sounds like what you're looking for
>>
>>8612326
Never again. Fuck me was that catastrophically depressing.
>>
>>8612344
yes, of course.

a lot of cigarettes too
>>
>>8612354
I've been sobered for years, but the other day the thought struck me to mix wine with booze. I mean....obviously more booze than wine. Seems like something I would have done, but I don't think I did.

Oh well.

As to your problem, who knows? Acute alcoholism is pretty common, people drink heavily at periods of their life. College alcoholism is normal. Or if you're unemployed or getting divorced, or your wife ran away with the bull. Whatever.

Pretty different than chronic alcoholism. Doesn't matter what's going on with you, you drink. In college you drink, out of college you drink, when you're happy you drink, sad you drink, bored you drink, busy you drink, etc. AND you can't stop, even when you try to.
>>
>>8612375
>College alcoholism is norma
yeah i am just stuck in a phase.

i really enjoy it though. it gives me some good feeling, but just because i can live on my fathers debt. i have to find a job soon and sober up.

besides i am writing poetry and music, that helps too.
>>
>>8612350
That's the point.
>>
>>8612375
>mix wine with booze.
Reminds me of one of the negroes in On The Road:

>‘Wine-spodiodi!’ which was a shot of port wine, a shot of whisky, and a shot of port wine. ‘Nice sweet jacket for all that bad whisky!’ he yelled.”

And Billie Holiday drank:

>Top and Bottom — half gin, half port wine.

And today there is the Brutal Hammer: Half red wine and half vodka.

They all taste like shit by the way. Shots and beers are still the best way to drink.
>>
There are some truly horrible recommendations ITT.

Cormac McCarthy - Suttree
Malcolm Lowry - Under the Volcano
F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tender Is the Night
>>
>>8611999
So did I. This is THE book that OP should read.
>>
>>8612552
>one of the negroes
Have a fucking ounce of respect, you worthless gypsy. You're talking about fucking Slim Gaillard!
>>
The bit in crime and punishment about the government clerk was great, the clerk saw his alcoholism and debasement as a punishment for himself at by the expense of others which I thought was very apt having grown up around alcos.
>>
Trip to Echo Spring by Olivia Laing.

It's a non-fiction book about a woman who chronicles the alcoholism of four writers (Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Chandler, Berryman IIRC) and its effects on their work and lives. Good read even if you don't drink and powerful if you do. I'm still an alcoholic (only three weeks sober) but by God this book made me start taking the steps to stop.

In the words of Brian Blessed, "Drink fucks you up."
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.