[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys like Sylvia?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: MTE4MDAzNDEwNjU4NzU2MTEw.jpg (133KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MTE4MDAzNDEwNjU4NzU2MTEw.jpg
133KB, 1200x1200px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHjctqSBwM
>>
>>8611162
No. She seems to be the idol of scum I hate.
>>
It's on the same artistic level as the smiths and joy division

A pseud rich white girl with borderline personality disorder's best friend

fuck it upsets me
>>
>>8611172
>>8611165

she wasn't rich, she was middle class and only got to be in ny that summer bc she'd won a scholarship
you can dislike her writing if you want, but putting all your associations with girls you don't like in rl on plath is dumb af, grow up lads
>>
Sylvia Plath's death sent a psychic shockwave through humanity that ultimately coalesced into Deviantart, Tumblr, and those chicks on dating sites who write their profile blurbs like
>I am mysterious. I contain multitudes. Don't test me, or you'll get burned. A veritable vixen.. Inquire if you dare..
and make you want to pull your eyeballs out when you're trying to get laid at 2:30 on a Tuesday morning.
>>
People shit on her sometimes on here because they're all image-obsessed idiots that hate other image-obsessed idiots with the bonus of behaving like scumbags because anonymity. She's too popular with alt-girls to ever be taken seriously by the """intellectuals""" you will meet on here.
>>
The Bell Jar is interesting because it relates mental illness at a time when society was not really equipped to deal with it. I find electroshock therapy repulsive and fascinating, and in particular I think she conveys this madness very well. What I don't understand is her poetry. What the fuck do people like about Ariel? Or is this one of those cases where she was one of the first to write like this, and became a figurehead?
>>
>>8611296
See:
>>8611334
>>8611271

If a man wrote The Bell Jar you idiots would lap that shit up.
>>
Hahahah.. These fuckboys getting angry because they lack the talent Slyvia had.
>>
>>8611346
Personally I like many of the poems in Ariel. Plath is considered one of the quintessential confessional poets, and I think what makes her poetry so alienating is how deeple personal she tends to be. You have to know so many little details of her life, and what specifically was going on in her life at the time she wrote a particular poem, for her works to make sense. There are sources for that information readily available online for many of her poems, but most people don't want to put in that effort, and I can't even say I blame them.
>>
>>8611377
>You have to know so many little details of her life, and what specifically was going on in her life at the time she wrote a particular poem, for her works to make sense.

Why should that be acceptable?
>>
>>8611366
>>8611376
>>8611334
People dislike Sylvia Plath because if you criticise Sylvia Plath a bunch of beta males come out of the woodwork to show off how contrarian and feminist they are.

Let me write your next Tweet for you:
>baka these fuckboys on 4chan tho bae senpai

Woo, sticking it to the man!
>>
>>8611162

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohgr51CqliY

>>8611346

A psychiatrist suggested it to me a long time ago but didn't press the issue. Sometimes when you're really fucked you'll try anything.
>>
>>8611393
this is exactly the kind of faggy /fa/ ass music i'd expect from a band faggy enough to name a song after plath

why is /mu/ all effeminate waifish 18 year old boys who wear makeup?
>>
>>8611387
I'm not on twitter and one shouldn't dislike an artist because of their fans. Also, the negative comments ITT aren't criticisms of her work; they're criticisms of her perceived fanbase and personality, which have little grounding in reality.
>>
>>8611404
>faggy
>/fa/
>faggy
>effeminate
>waifish
>boys who wear makeup

Yeah, we get it. You're a big strong masculine man. The Antlers still fucking suck though
>>
>>8611425
She's a confessional poet and people are criticising both what she's confessing and how she confesses it. She was incompetent, boring, and self-absorbed. She was a hack.

You're the one who just wants to like her because meanies don't. Enjoy forcing yourself to read books so you can virtue signal.

>>8611441
Actual woman detected. Go get triggered by words on the internet somewhere else.
>>
>>8611381
Well, I didn't say it should be. But why shouldn't it be? Anyone can write whatever the fuck they want. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to read it. It doesn't make it objectively bad. Again, personally, I like a lot of her poetry. Specifically, I think she is a master of imagery and uses other poetic devices like enjambment in a way that is highly effective.
>>
>>8611446
You're the triggered one bro
>>
>>8611453
>Specifically, I think she is a master of imagery and uses other poetic devices like enjambment in a way that is highly effective.

trying too hard

>she's very rather adroit at utilizing the use of imagery.. indeed, her "meter", as it were, is quite superb..

POETRY EXPERT HERE
>>
>>8611453
Well, you are wrong. She is objectively a bad and minor poet. How much similar doggerel by men has been completely (and correctly) forgotten, because they weren't made famous entirely for their gender?

>>8611463
Tu quoque! Damn. You really nailed me. You should post another whiny screed about how any disapproval of whiny behaviour is patriarchy.
>>
>>8611465
>>8611472
Ok. I disagree. Thanks for your input.
>>
>>8611472
It's funny when people whine about people whining about the patriarchy
>>
>>8611485
>I disagree. Thanks. Bye. I'm being curt. FYI. So you know I'm mad. And I hate you. But I'm also totally not mad. Because I'm above being mad. I'm a strong powerful womyn.

Giving ME an emotional cold shoulder? On an anonymous Internet forum? Thanks for showing us your problem solving skills, Every Girl Ever.

Maybe you should adopt Plath's instead.

>>8611488
>1488

>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1410481917211.jpg (84KB, 504x438px) Image search: [Google]
1410481917211.jpg
84KB, 504x438px
>>8611493
>you disagree with me, therefore you're a woman
lol
>>
>>8611506
You acting like a huge emotional baby is the tip-off that you're a woman. Cf. your pissy, humorless "lol"

>lol. k. whatever u say. k. fine. heh.

Please, remind me of every one of my ex-girlfriends some more. I need to jerk off to something miserabilist today.
>>
>>8611515
>pissy, humorless
You're really projecting bro; I'm dying over here. And there's a lot of irony in you calling me (not the same anon you replied to, by the way) an emotional baby when you're the one having such an episode on 4chan of all places.

Also that's not how you use "Cf."
>>
>>8611524
>I'm dying over here.

I already preempted your "I'm actually laughing so hard right now. I'm totally not mad. You're amusing me. Hahaha." tactic (cf. >>8611493). You have to up the ante now. Try telling me you won't put out for a month. That's usually Phase 3 of a womanish meltdown.

Yes it is. Ironically, you don't seem to know that it's "cf." within a sentence, not "Cf." It's just short for a word.
>>
>>8611543
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cf.
>However, while the cf. abbreviation has widespread use as a shorthand for "see", particularly in citations, The Chicago Manual of Style recommends against its use in this sense and prefers instead that cf. be used only to mean "compare" or "see, by way of comparison".
Fuck off retard, I'm not putting out for a month (because of how of an unintelligent pleb you are)
>>
>>8611555
I meant the "compare" usage. Compare previous accusations with your behaviour in this instance.

>because of how of an

Thank you for not halving my offspring's IQ. I'll still lick your asshole on Vicodin if you want, though. Retarded chicks are chill when they're not opinionated.
>>
>>8611493
First of all you started arguing with someone else at this point, dumbass. Stop assuming every anon is the same same person.
Second, you clearly weren't, and aren't interested in having any kind of real discussion about literature, just slinging shit. Still, you're entitled your opinion, I'm just letting you know that I'm not going to waste any more of my time and energy engaging with someone who is as narrow-minded, unintelligent, and antagonistic as yourself.
>>
>>8611671
I thought I told you to go to /pol/, not type six paragraphs about how you're done talking to me and have it notarized by an attorney.
>>
>>8611736
>I thought I told you to go to /pol/
Nope. Once again, not every anon is the same person, you fucking mental midget, and nothing I've said even remotely suggests the rhetoric of a /pol/lack. The level of stupidity you've managed to show in this thread is actually quite impressive. Do you dress yourself in the morning?
>>
File: Sylvia_Likens.jpg (152KB, 1200x2330px) Image search: [Google]
Sylvia_Likens.jpg
152KB, 1200x2330px
>do you LIKE
>SYLVIA
you mean SYLVIA LIKENS? xD
>>
>>8611770
You forgot to have that one notarized, 14/88.

Why are you so mad about someone disagreeing with you? Is this your first time posting outside of your blog?
>>
File: 4.jpg (97KB, 1108x675px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
97KB, 1108x675px
Reading Bell Jar right now and its great. It reminds me of Catcher in the Rye if Holden was a girl kind of. Its really feelsy
>>
>>8611453
I'm just saying that good literary object should stand on its own; you should be able to read it, divorced from the author and even most of its context, and still be in awe.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.