[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working Way Towards Being Lit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: url.jpg (10KB, 180x280px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
10KB, 180x280px
I've just started to get into reading again and I'm afraid if I just jump into stuff like Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, Brave New World, etc I won't get the full effect of reading them.

What can I read that will build me up to be able to really appreciate books? I'm a freshman at uni and some things I just finished are Old Man and the Sea and pic related.
>>
>>8611108
Philosophy, Bible, Greek drama, Shakespeare
>>
>>8611108
Raymond Chandler should be up your alley if you liked The Maltese Falcon. Brave New World isn't nearly as difficult as Joyce or Pynchon, you can jump right into that, hell they teach it in high school.
>>
>>8611126
I've read some Shakespeare and I'm starting to get into philosophy. Ideas on where to start there? I started reading Aurelius.

>>8611138
I was supposed to read it in high school but the teacher had us read The Road instead.
>>
File: lit.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
lit.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
Have you checked the recommended readings on the sticky? It's also got a list of philosophical works in order that you could make your way through if you want to start with the Greeks
>>
>>8611181
Yeah, I've written a lot of the recommended books. Just wasn't exactly sure where to start or if there were any other recommendations people had.
>>
>>8611148
Get a history of philosophy book, watch some lectures, read writers that sound interesting (you won't understand them but who cares). Focus on developing a genuine interest, that is more important than anything.

same thing for Christianity/Bible.

Don't stop reading fiction
>>
>>8611108
>Brave New World
this is some top tier b8
>>
>>8611181
I've always thought that Lolita is best saved for later. It's a little daunting compared to the other works on that list.
>>
>>8611195
>Yeah, I've written a lot of the recommended books.
Fuck dude, can I have your autograph?
>>
>>8611326
shit lol
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.