[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book Rx

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: Philosophy2.jpg (112KB, 419x536px) Image search: [Google]
Philosophy2.jpg
112KB, 419x536px
ITT we state a current philosophical or life issue we are facing. Anons then recommend a book to help us overcome or reframe the issue.
>>
I've rejected materialism, hedonism, and aestheticism. Now what?
>>
Start with the greeks
>>
My mortality
>>
>>8610470
I feel that I, as a person, is a fleeting thing. I'm afraid of sleeping because that's like a hard-reset of my consciousness: while I feel a certain sence of continuity, it seems false. Things I do today seem meaningless, because that's not me who will benefit from them, but some other dude in my body.
>>
>>8610483
death
>>
>>8610483
asceticism
>>
>>8610470

I sold my business and now I'm sitting retired on a large amount of money.

I really just want to do nothing but read and watch my girlfriend play her stupid video games all day.

>stop my desire to achieve more
>fuel my desire to achieve more
>>
>>8610470
I am surrounded by people and I crave their attention, but at the same time they annoy me, and I feel like none of them can hold a decent conversation about books or politics. I feel bored and alone, and so far only coffee, alcohol and going to church have been able to temporarily change this state.

Any recommendations? I tried L'Etrange, but it only made me feel sorry for how autistic the guy could be.
>>
>>8610711
this desu senpai, negate your self.
>>
>>8610754
L'Etranger*
>>
>>8610589
http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1
>>
>>8610754
try an extended stay in a monastery. Vow of silence if you think you can take it.
>>
>>8610779
Currently an accountancy student. I might try that during the summer. The vow of silence sounds really nice, now that I think of it.
>>
>>8610786
>The vow of silence sounds really nice, now that I think of it.

It is incredibly potent and illuminating, but don't take it lightly, it can be excruciating to the point of agony. The end of such a vow is always an immeasurable relief.
>>
>>8610796
I have reached the point where I would most likely die if stop thinking about anything, for even a second.
Purification through fire sounds like the only way to truly improve myself and feel some peace. Otherwise, I feel I might turn into an edgier version of Raskolnikov.
>>
I don't "want" anything. True, there are things I specifically don't want, but neither do I actually want anything.
I don't believe in anything either.
>Ich hab mein Sach auf nichts gestellt
But what is my Sache even?
>>
>>8610768
Not bad. But I don't want to go farming, figuratively speaking, life without any meaningful long-term pleasure is hell on earth. For example, even through I'm slowly writing my novel, I have constant urges to publish parts from it - dissatisfaction of never finishing a job is tormenting.
>>
>>8610809
>Ich hab mein Sach auf nichts gestellt
juchhe!
>>
I'm with Nietzsche on the idea that a life without suffering would be mediocre, but at the same time I feel that's just a cheap way to legitimise the status quo.
>>
>>8610483
Transcendentalism.
>>
>>8610483
Read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now.
>>
File: chickenwaste.jpg (58KB, 400x402px) Image search: [Google]
chickenwaste.jpg
58KB, 400x402px
>>8610483
>>
Buddhism without beliefs is a good pragmatic text.
>>
>>8610589
I Am A Strange Loop
>>
>>8610483
Find some other things to reject. Or if you want you can reject the finding of things, you can even try to reject rejection itself
>>
>>8610509
Thanks
>>
>>8610470
The world is an unequal and unfair place that doesn't care for the people that inhabit it, so I have a hard time finding reasons to keep on living apart from death is painful and I don't want to hurt loved ones. How do I find purpose?
>>
I'm a never-nude.
>>
i'm smoking too much cannabis and not getting much better at anything whatsoever
>>
>>8611355
existentialism.
>>
>>8611398
smoke less canabis
>>
The language I use, even as a positivist, leaves me ontologically committed to abstract entities but I can't prove they exist. What do I do?
>>
>>8611414
reject positivism
>>
>>8611414
Hegel.
>>
>>8610470
I somehow managed to fuck up my focus/concentration, so I need help. Where should I start? I really want to get better, I want to read, but I just can't manage to, when I try I get so much anxiety, I am failing at my work place either. Life is such a mess. This is so depressing.
>>
>>8611451
The only way to bring your focus back is through SHEER FORCE OF WILL. Just pick something and do it. When you find yourself losing motivation/focus/whatever, center yourself and press onward. Or get medicated.

>>8611384
Get laid.

>>8611355
Read Nietzsche.
>>
>>8611406
What would you recommend?
>>
>>8610754
>alcohol and going to church
meeeeee

if you want good conversations on serious topics you need to find professors. ones that arent blinded by ideology.

>>8610884
City of God. Book I at the least- its only like 50 pages.

>>8611355
the holy bible

>>8611398
those two things are related. quit the weedfaggotry

>>8611451
just read. try easier stuff. derivative works.
>>
>>8610863
More like
>O weh!
desu
>>
Everything I do feels like a waste of time, as if I should be doing something I'm not doing.
I'm not a NEET
>>
>I'm a walking piece of failure
>Lonely
>I never win
>Might win a little in the future

Anything?
>>
>smoking too much weed, not writing enough
>graduate in may with a geology degree i almost definitely won't use
>can't decide if i want to move back home to NYC to be near friends, family, and jobs or stay with my longterm girlfriend who hates the east coast after i gradute
>>
>>8610754
Exercise. Doesn't matter if you're running or lifting, just something to get your heart pumping.
>>
>>8611541
Sounds like a really good life to me.
>>
>>8611750
Yeah, it's honestly pretty easy; I am lucky. Just need to get off my ass and actually get good at things and I don't really rly know how to make this romantic decision and hoping some books might help
>>
>>8611755
I don't think books are going to help with that, particularly.
>>
The best advice I got from God was.
Be patient and go with the flow.
Hopefully it will help some of you.
I have terrible patience. And once he showed me how to have it.
I stopped actively looking for answers and he started showing them to me.
>>
>>8611759
this reminds me of catholic high school
>>
I think society is going down the drain, but I still want to watch it fall further.
>>
>be interested in philosophy since young age
>go into medicine because muh jobs, thinking I could pursue lit/phil as a hobby
>regret every single day that I will never be able to dedicate my full time to philosophy and work with it and thus never reach my peak

I am thinking about going into psychiatry but it's still not even close
>>
>>8611413
>>8611471
not a book
>>
File: 3a7.jpg (127KB, 504x470px) Image search: [Google]
3a7.jpg
127KB, 504x470px
>>8610470
I'm only here for the dank memes
does anyone else have any more donald duck nihilist reaction images?
>>
>>8611763
Seeing the end of society is up there with being in a drawn out plane crash on my most desired experiences. I suppose one is a microism of the other
>>
>>8610470
I am disillusioned by people's inability to truly understand/connect with others.
>>
>>8613198
go work on a farm for 6 months.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.