[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things you don't understand /lit/ edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

Somehow, the majority of this board has a massive hard on for Richard Yates and his insufferable novel Revolutionary Road, yet Patricia Highsmith is dismissed as a meme writer.
>>
I dont get the hype over savage detectives
100 pages in
It has gave me boners tho
>>
Highsmith isn't a meme writer. She's my waifu.
>>
>>8608716
>the majority of this board has a massive hard on for Richard Yates and his insufferable novel Revolutionary Road
No.
>>
The amount of curtains are blue and STEM bullshit going on here the past couple months is truly frightening.
>>
I wish she would sexmurder me.
>tfw no qt highsmith gf
;_;
>>
>>8608790
Welcome to 2016.
>>
>>8608716
I dont understand why I've never met an adult male that reads something other than old man war novels and/or genre shit written from 1970-2000. Minor caveats for sports biographies and stuff their wives force them to read.
>>
>>8608790
elaborate
>>
>>8608820
Every philosophical thread has been immediately overrun by people criticizing continental philosophy and beating the drum for analytics and science. Even threads where interpretation is taking place get crowded by people that have some autistic anti-psychologizing streak.
>>
>>8608840

That's what happens when people want to feel smart they come to a literature board and shitpost things from wikipedia trying to feel superior. Kind of like atheists becoming atheists to feel smarter than everyone so they go full anti theist and act all smug.
>>
bei dao's poetry
>>
>>8608840
and?
>>
>>8608840
>comes to a literature board
>posts meme philosophy
>Not using your containment board

you deserve whatever shitposting you get. now fuck off back to /his/
>>
I will never understand Walt Whitman. Perhaps I'm not normie enough.
>>
>>8610338
/his/ is cancer. The people who wanted to split the board were fucking retarded and are just trying to protect their shitty sci-fi/fantasy threads.
/lit/ would be a shitshow if there weren't philosophy threads every now and then
>>
>>8608716
what does she write? anything notable?
>>
>>8610496
lmao no fuck off

>exactly one sci-fi fantasy thread at any given time

philposting is why /lit/ went to shit in the first place.
>>
>>8608716
this board has a massive hard on for blood meridian and stoner, theres hardly a fraction as many posts about yates or revolutionary road as the former two novels and authors. while im at it, revolutionary road was terrible. short stories are pretty good.

never heard of, read, or called patricia highsmith a meme desu
>>
>>8610490
You will not find another poet more enamored of humanity and the quotidian act of living.
>>
>>8610671

Khalil Gibran
>>
>>8608840
BS continentals are in the majority here
>>
>>8608806
>reverse current year argument
>>
>>8608716
most everything of Finnigan's wake.
>>
I miss /lit/erary humor.
I feel like it kinda migrated to /his/, and while I do enjoy it there, there was a special /lit/ flavor that it has lost.
>>
>>8608800
My college gf was an almost spitting image of Highsmith. I was elated when I discovered those old pics of Highsmith's, since I'd already been a big fan of her work and could now weave my memories of rather debauched sexual experiences into an homage to Patricia. (what an appropriate name!)

The villain protagonist of my black-humor novel is also named in part as an allusion to Highsmith and partly as a nod to The Red and the Black
>>
>>8612046
I hate you for stealing my dream life. Can I have your ex's number?
>>
the only time i ever see anyone talk about richard yates here is when that one guy makes the thread about literary red flags
>>
>>8608716
Are you the one who keeps starting the hateboner thread about Yates and thinks he's some kind of feminist? I don't like Revolutionary Road much, but many other books by him are excellent: The Easter Parade, A Good School, Disturbing the Peace, A Special Providence and his short stories. There's also Cold Spring Harbor, which has a story similar to Rev Road but improves upon it in every way. Actually I'd say his only other book that's worth skipping (besides Rev Road) is Young Hearts Crying.
>>
Walt Whitmans leaves of grass. Its just cataloging, is it a modern/American version of the catalog chapter of the Iliad?
>>
>>8608809
Isn't the stereotype that teenage girls read genre fiction and older males read serious literature?
>>
>>8613002

I made that thread ONE time you fucking faggot and Richard Yates sucks cock.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.