[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At my community college, they teach French and Spanish. Which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1476158438399.jpg (25KB, 367x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476158438399.jpg
25KB, 367x480px
At my community college, they teach French and Spanish. Which one is better? Which one lets me read better literature?

I like Sci Fi the most btw[/spoiler}
>>
Spain is literally the Mexico of Europe. They still ride carriages to work there.
>>
French, without question
>>
>>8608365
why?
>>
>>8608398
I said without question.
>>
>>8608398

The majority of European writers post-1800 have known French, the oeuvre of French lit is generally considered to be richer, etc
>>
>>8608349
You'll benefit more from being taught French. It's easier to learn Spanish on your own -- it's far more logical. And it's easier still if you've already learned French.
>>
>>8608349
Spanish, without question
>>
>>8608349
>French
>>
>>8608349
spanish, if only to be able to read Don Quixote in its original language

Don Quixote >>> every french novel ever
>>
>>8609156
Don Quixote is the most influential novel of all time, but I can't think of a single important Spanish or Latin American writer of significance since Cervantes, including even Garcia Marquez (too parochial and even he would be nothing without the surrealists from *drumroll* France).

French literature is far more important because there is a greater quantity of influential literature. If OP has any interest in English and American poetry, then a knowledge of French symbolist poetry and its origins is crucial to understanding Anglo-American poetry from 1920 to today. The only poets writing in English who have been significantly influenced by Spanish and Latin American poets are Chicanos. Trust me, OP, you would have much to gain from learning French as there has been a longer, richer dialogue between English, American, and French literature.
>>
>>8609168
What about Bolaño or Neruda?
>>
>>8609169
They're good writers, but their influence beyond Lat. Am. / Spanish lit has yet to be very significant. I'm not sure that they will influence English-speaking writers to the extent past French writers will continue to do so. Maybe in 300 years that will be the case. But in 2016, French literature is still more influential on English and American literature. I actually like Neruda and Bolaño and find their work courageous, but their influence remains to be seen in the Northern Hemisphere.
>>
>>8608349
>Which one lets me read better literature?
French and it's not even close. France has been consistently producing great writers since the Middle Ages, and even when the most popular South American writers were around French lit was much better. Also, the biggest advantage of learning a language to read literature is getting access to new poetry, and that's where French really shines.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.