[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Catholicism General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: 1441002136428.jpg (425KB, 1600x1307px) Image search: [Google]
1441002136428.jpg
425KB, 1600x1307px
Discuss your favourite Catholic authors.
Who did you read recently? Who do you recommend?
I'm reading Copleston's History of Philosophy, volume II, covering everything from Augustine to, but not including, Ockam. He's the best author on the subject I could think of, grateful to /lit/ for the recommendation.

Alasdair MacIntyre has also been an amazing discovery. After Virtue and Whose Justice Which Rationality are seminal works of ethics.

Interesting article on Flannery O'Connor
https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2016/10/flannery-oconnors-genius-and-grace
>>
File: 1473287025042.jpg (232KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1473287025042.jpg
232KB, 1024x768px
Alasdair MacIntiye is excellent. Read After Virtue and everything else by him

Also read Edward Feser's blog
>>
>>8607995
There's some fun philosophy drama up right now on his blog.
I'll have to read some more of him, Scholastic Metaphysics is up next. Read 4 works already.
>>
I don't love this idea of generals on /lit/ (SFF only serves as containment) but I am glad to see the christposters return.
Does Tolkien count as Catholic or fantasy? Is he both? "God" bless.
>>
Peter Kreeft has a lot of great stuff. Did postdoc philosophy at Yale. Calvinist --> Catholic. Published by Ignatius Press; it's all good.
>>
File: 1454861843444.png (105KB, 635x493px) Image search: [Google]
1454861843444.png
105KB, 635x493px
>>8608019
>"God"
>>
>>8608027
It is merely a bit of banter, my good dude.
I like to pick on Christians because I know most of them will shrug it off with a smile. Faith is quite beautiful and admirable to me. I wish I had such convictions but if that were the case I wouldn't be a psued on /lit/.
>>
>>8608019
Why wouldn't he be both? He wrote fantasy deeply inspired by his faith.
Why I made a general? Honestly, because most authors who will be mentioned have a small audience on /lit/.
The fantasy general didn't used to be as awful as it is now, it was actually mostly just regular /lit/ in one thread.
>>
File: 14084396_ori.jpg (54KB, 427x353px) Image search: [Google]
14084396_ori.jpg
54KB, 427x353px
I just finished Brideshead not too long ago. Best Catholic focused work of fiction I've read since The Man Who Was Thursday.

Are any of Evelyn's other novels worth a go?
>>
Google Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange his works are up for free. Don't read stuff by laymen
>>
>>8608092
I've honestly never heard of him/her.
But Chesterton was really great. I like his fiction much more than his non fiction.
>>
>>8608098
>Google Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange his works are up for free.
I've been planning to for a while now, but going through other thomists atm.
>Don't read stuff by laymen
Why? The clearly has been in a very bad intellectual position since Vat II, most of the quality philosophy has been done by layman.
>>
>>8608092
A Handful of Dust is really good imo.
>>
>>8608109
Sorry, confusing post. Just for OP. Bad to start with the Fesers and Macintyres IMO
>>
>>8608137
Why? Of course these are far from my first encounters with Catholic philosophy, I've read City of God, Confessions and a lot of Ratzinger beforehand, alongside a lot of fiction and some mysticism.
The truth is, if one wants a Catholic perspective on contemporary problems, one must look elsewhere as far as clergy goes. They've become intellectually numb.
>>
favorite author is walker percy. love that southern bastard. he even wrote a good non-fiction book.

i'd recommend starting with love in the ruins, even though the moviegoer is his most renown novel, his other novels have a dark humor to them that isn't as emphasized in the moviegoer. that humor is what has always kept me coming back. after that do moviegoer or lost in the cosmos (non fic).

currently working through flannery o'connor which is good but not as good as percy so far. after that i'll either do shelby foote or william faulkner, and i know how much you all love faulkner but shelby foote was walker percy's bff so he's getting top billing unless someone convinces me otherwise.
>>
>>8608101
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Waugh

He's a guy; he just had a gay name.

Anyway I'd highly recommend Brideshead. The prose is much more lavish than Chesterton's and the sentiments more Wildish, but the depiction of Catholics in various states of apostasy and belief, and the way they are inescapably drawn back into their faith no matter how miserable it/its absence makes them is very well done. Lots of splendid English Catholic characters.
>>
>>8608072
I'm glad you're looking for meaningful discourse and engaging with posts. You folks are alright.
>>
>>8608133
Thanks mate. I'll slip it onto my list.
>>
>>8608157
Yeah, I love Brideshead. It's great for just that feeling you describe. Catholics/lapsed Catholics all know it--nobody ever really leaves the Church. Even if you forsake it, it has a way of creeping back into your life, sometimes quite strangely.
>>
>>8608142
Copleston (I'm assuming this is square one) to contemporary lay philosophers is an overly intellectual approach.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-11-23-11-03.png (153KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-11-23-11-03.png
153KB, 540x960px
>>8608154
Yeah, you've been shilling Percy for a while and every time I think of picking him up I realise I want to delve more deeply in philosophy and authors I've already read. He's always in the back of my mind, but I'm sure I'll read him eventually.
>>8608157
Sounds based as fuck. I'll add him to the list.
>>8608182
Copleston is as simple and clear as he can be, while not dumbing everything down or simplifying it too much, like say Peter Kreeft.
I'm using him to solidify my general knowledge of philosophy so I can tackle Aquinas himself. And yes, I understand that many dislike the systematic, dry and lifeless approach of thomism, but honestly, if it isn't like that I won't take it to heart.
Of course, if we are talking mysticism, that's another story, as it assume topics beyond reason in the first place.
>>
>>8608020
I've read 3 of his works, each was intended for either very young or very stupid people. His works on Ethics, Aquinas and Platonic Tradition were easy, but watered it down so much to the point I can't say we read the same Aquinas.
I guess it's okay for people completely unfamiliar with any philosophy.
>>
>>8608406
Oh, I haven't read those. I've read Catholic Christianity and The Philosophy of Tolkien. I believe he only writes for laymen.
>>
today I finished reading three books by Leon Bloy

Salvation through the Jews, The blood of the Poor, and In the Darkness.

I dont think there is any translation to English, or at least the only one I have seen of Salvation through the Jews is a google translator tier.
I am tempted to translate them myself and upload them somewhere, even if my English isnt very good.

I read them in Spanish, the volume belongs to a collection of books chosen by Borges as his favorite ones.

Reading Bloy is like swimming in a mud lake that has pearls hidden in the bottom.
I wish I could be a millionaire to finance translations and editions.

Here is a translation with some typos of a Borges essay abot Bloy.
https://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/00/pwillen1/lit/enigma.htm
>>
>>8608092
Funny enough, Chesterton wasn't even Catholic yet when he wrote The Man Who was Thursday.

Great book none the less.
>>
File: Prayer.jpg (397KB, 1000x713px) Image search: [Google]
Prayer.jpg
397KB, 1000x713px
Can someone recommend me something on prayer? I can't seem to understand what I should really be doing.

For instance, right now I really want to hang out with this cute girl I hooked up with on Saturday. She's a total qtp2t and I want to cuddle with her. It's occupying a large part of my mind and one of the few things I really really want right now -- do I pray for this? How could I pray for something so degenerate? And yet it's all I can think about. Do I pray for it to go away? How can I be zealous in prayer if I can't pray for cuddling with a beautiful girl? Sorry for the degeneracy.
>>
File: hamsun hitler.jpg (33KB, 429x300px) Image search: [Google]
hamsun hitler.jpg
33KB, 429x300px
>>8607980
My favorite Catholic writers are Ernest Hemingway and Charles Bukowski. Knut Hamsun is my favorite Lutheran writer. Homer is my favorite Pagan writer. Li Fu is my favorite Confucian writer.

What a stupid thread. Fucking britbongs.
>>
>>8608092
Isn't that novel about a bunch of upper class homosexuals who like Catholicism because they "find the ritual of the mass beautiful?" I've seen a couple episodes of the tv series with Jeremy Irons and it was ok but nothing special.
>>
>>8608200
a while? i just started coming here 2-3 days ago. was someone else shilling percy before me?

but yeah i do shill him hard. i think he's that good.
>>
Marcelo Rossi is the best author ever in the history of catholic books, only losing to jesus
>>
>>8609189
You can pray for a solid no premarital sex relationship and marriage.
Honestly, I can't concentrate on prayer so I just read, pick up some mysticism and prayer books, Path of the Cross by John Henry Newman or Imitation of Christ or John of the Cross.
>>8609468
Someone has been consistently posting Percy whenever I made one of these. I just assume you are him. He isn't very popular here, shilling takes time and effort, but I believe in you.
>>8609028
I know he wasn't always a Catholic, but it seems to me that it came to him naturally and almost unconsciously.
>>
Reminder that kierkegaar was right and that you shouldn't try to rationalise religious faith

just go with it
>>
File: Silence_novel.jpg (12KB, 220x335px) Image search: [Google]
Silence_novel.jpg
12KB, 220x335px
A necessary work written by a troubled Japanese dude. Very cool if you're into history and Christian persecution.
>>
>>8609650
Religious faith is unsustainable if we introduce doubt in it and is worth no more than your taste in food. This leads to the dissolution of faith as there's no reason to be religious, it destroys its own value from within.
t. Hannah Arendt
>>
>>8609667
Yeah, Endo is really great. It's a shame I can only find Silence and Kiku's Prayer in spun/pdf.
>>
>>8609672

I just finished reading Silence for a class and loved the fuck out of it. Just ordered A Life of Jesus on Amazon and am excited to read it when it gets here.
>>
>>8609678
>too cheap to pay for shipping
I'll be on the mercy of torrents for more of Endo.
Ironically, there are more books on Endo than books by Endo on libgen and such.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.