[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your favorite part of Ham on Rye?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 38501.jpg (43KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
38501.jpg
43KB, 316x475px
Your favorite part of Ham on Rye?
>>
>>8607915
If it's quality meat then it's the ham for me, Clive
>>
>>8607928
>not the mustard
>>
>>8607915
I'm vegan so I don't eat meat. Bukowski is great though.
>>
when he beat up his own dad
>>
>>8607946
I didn't think that happened until Factotum?
>>
>>8607954
I think >>8607946 is right. The father throws all his son's writings outside in the garden
iirc it happens after this
>>
>>8607915
Rye, but only if it's proper dark rye bread, not just ordinary bread with a token quantity of rye added.
>>
File: 71-f05.jpg (100KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
71-f05.jpg
100KB, 500x335px
>>8607915
When he finds a job at Mears-Starbuck, a department store. He's 5 minutes late
- I stopped to feed a starving dog
- That's the lamest excuse I've heard in 35 years

>ok so you have to punch this card 4 times a day, every day until you quit, get fired, die, or retire.

Great description of how those jobs are soul crushing, by studying the faces of the old stock people, and the class relationships in the store.

Then he meets johnny football hero doing his shopping with his friends.

>Hey, isn't this Chinaski with his cute uniform? Wasn't this the toughest guy in high school?

They fight on the roof, Hank wins, but loses his job.
Waves goodbye to his boss, who doesn't wave back : I think I liked him, after all.
>>
the part where he fucks Carol ith a snake
>>
Bukowski usually gets hate on this board. I'm glad to see people posting about him again.

I'm kind of tired of reading about his life, letters, poetry, novels, etc. etc. For the past few years it's been nothing but him. Nonetheless, I prefer him and the tradition he is a part of (Hamsun, Celine, Hemingway, etc.) over the post-modernists. Glad to see some of you are around.

If anyone wants a recommendation, I suggest Abel Debritto's book about Bukowski called "King of the Underground." It is a groundbreaking study of his writing from the 40's to 60's when he was building connections in the little magazine scene. It debunks a lot of myths about his life that a lot of plebs take for granted from reading his novels and biographies (yes, the works composed by other people) too literally. After about a decade I imagine we'll have a better biography and frame of reference for evaluating Bukowski's work thanks to Debritto.
>>
I kind of liked the mostly truthful parts about his childhood, like his insane dad who battered him around, his pathetic acne and finding alcohol at an early age.

I didn't like the obvious fantasy parts, like he was a strongly built kid who was great at boxing, who eventually beat the shit out of his high school tormentors. There's pics of him out there at that age, he was a scrawny little twerp.
>>
You guys know Franco made a movie out of this?

Made it like 3 years ago, but it's never been released. I guess they didn't actually have the rights to do it.
>>
>>8608801
There's a thread about it on the Bukowski forum that's pretty funny. They have a prettyboy with ringlets playing kid Chinaski. I think Franco plays Chinaski as a Young Man. Pathetic.
>>
File: The-Sound-and-the-Fury-2015.jpg (53KB, 300x446px) Image search: [Google]
The-Sound-and-the-Fury-2015.jpg
53KB, 300x446px
>>8608801
Franco has done a lot of deplorable shit
>>
>>8608810
I think they made a movie with handsome balls Matt Dillon playing Chinaski.

Only movie they made out of his stuff that was good was Barfly, which was really just kind of inspired by his work, not a direct adaptation.
>>
>>8608814
I actually liked his Faulkner adaptations. sound and the fury was a little condensed, light version, but I still liked it.
>>
>>8608819
Bukowski wrote the screenplay for Barfly, so it couldn't be more of a direct adaptation.

Bukowski was notoriously disappointed by the Barfly actor (Mickey O'Rourke?) and his interpretation of Chinaski. Originally he wanted to get his friend Sean Penn to play Chinaski.
>>
>>8608836

>Bukowski wrote the screenplay for Barfly, so it couldn't be more of a direct adaptation.

I mean it wasn't based on any of his books, just sort of encapsulated the feel of them.

>Bukowski was notoriously disappointed by the Barfly actor (Mickey O'Rourke?) and his interpretation of Chinaski.

Who cares what the drunk fuck thought? O'Rourke was awesome in that role. One of the few good roles that guy ever had.
>>
When his friends starts masterbating and shows him the semen in a vial

Or the fight in the backyard
>>
>>8608850
>sort of
You're right there, but it was no fault of Bukowski's...

As for Mickey, it would have been cool to see a character that actually resembled Chinaski's character. It was a good movie, but disappointing if you wanted to see anything remotely like the Chinaski character. I think Bukowski summed it up best by comparing Rourke's NY style to Bukowski's chill west coast style. Rourke was too pushy and cocky while any California guy would have been more cool about it all.
>>
>>8607915
when they drink the butter rum with the nazi and the manlet friend cries and shouts I'M A MAN and they go in the boat and shoot it and it sinks
>>
>>8608778
>It debunks a lot of myths about his life
Could you name a few juicy ones?
>>
well i liked the bit at the end where he's seeing a casual acquaintance off as he joins the marines. despite what's actually on the page and who the protagonist is, you get a sense that he really does care and is trying to deny it. like catching a bully playing something beautiful on piano
>>
>>8608819
Matt Dillon did well though.
>>
>>8609075
Well, there is the infamous myth that he went on a ten-year drunk and didn't write anything from the mid-40's to mid-50's. In reality, he was published a few times during that period of time, but was rejected hundreds of times according to Debritto. I think hundreds might be an exaggeration by Debritto, but who knows? I don't have access to any of the Bukowski collections out there. He does prove through bibliographic evidence and citations from letters that he was indeed trying to get published and failing miserably at it and not going on a decade-long drinking spree absent of any creative efforts. On the other hand, he was the most widely published author in the 60's (see next paragraph), so he could feasibly have been writing hundreds of stories and submitting each one to the major magazines of the period such as the New Yorker and the Atlantic Monthly or the small presses.

Another one is the extent to which his drinking is exaggerated. If you look at his bibliography from the 1960's, he is the most widely published author of the 1960's if you go purely by bibliographic appearances. He was published literally in hundreds of different magazines and in various other formats such as chap books, broadsheets, and proper books. Sure, he drank, but no one could be so prolific and get totally tanked every night.

Anyway, there are tons of uncollected poems and stories of Bukowski. There has yet to be a definitive anthology of his stories and poetry. This absence is astounding considering he is one of the most popular writers of the 20th century. Once this work is done, I get the impression he will be more widely taught in universities.

He is by far the most misunderstood writer of the 20th century. Yes, that's including the Modernists, Pomos, and everybody else, you pretentious undergrads. If you want tenureship after graduate school, I suggest you start taking notes.
>>
>>8609108
I ought to mention that prior to Debritto's study, it had been perpetuated for decades during Bukowski's lifetime and after that he literally wrote nothing from the age of 25-35. Bukowski was the one who started this myth himself and his biographers and friends in later life took it as gospel. Well, this year, it all changed.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.