[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where the fuck am i supposed to stop reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: J-R.png (130KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
J-R.png
130KB, 325x500px
where the fuck am i supposed to stop reading?
>>
>he didn't read JR in a single sitting
this board used to be good
>>
JR Ewing from Dallas?
>>
when the scene changes
>>
Arbitrarily, in the middle of a sentence.
>>
>>8607892
Why the fuck do you think they invented sentences man? You can stop right after every sentence. ESSEMMAGE
>>
Hoppin' with flavor!
>>
Alright I just started this the other day. I am about 110 pages in. I am really interested but also a bit put off. I understand now there will never be a chapter or clear transition to a new setting.
The book so far has either been hilarious (sisters and the lawyer, Mozart commentary, stock broker and the kids) but then there are also parts which I am lost about the characters or just lost in his descriptive paragraphs so I have to read them over and over again. I'm on the fence, a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad.
HUGE influence on DFW obviously which is interesting
>>
>>8607892
HOLY
>>
>>8608189
Wait, i dont see what was 'bad' in your post.
>>
>>8608189
there are several clear transitions but sometimes they're easy to miss.
i think gaddis said that you should just get swept along and read it in talking speed without worrying so much about who's talking
>>
Is it pronounced 'jay arr'?
>>
Gassposters need to leaf
>>
>>8608189
nigga you just dumb
>>
How does the Dalkey version stand up to the old Penguin one?
Should I replace?
I like that cover.
>>
>>8608234
That's certainly what I have been doing and I enjoy its pacing and the style it is in. I'm still afraid though that I'm missing something and it has me hanging on to every detail to maintain context (which kinda proves it is successful)
>>8608228
The bad would just be when I am getting lost in conversation, juggling character names, obscure descriptions. Not bad but just lacking as tangible a reward as other sections
>>
>>8608255
the penguin one will fall apart. my recognitions cover is fucked. the dalkey will last longer German for sure
>>
>>8608261
if you think you missed something i see nothing wrong with using williamgaddis.org as a help whenever you feel the need.
>>
>>8608261
the more you read, the more you get used to the characters and the way they talk and the things they say and who they are. God you're fucking retarded. it's like you've never read a book in your life. Google the fucking characters on your phone and take a screenshot and everytime a name is brought up look at the list. fuckkkkk g kill yourself. go back to reading pleb books you fucking faggot
>>
http://www.williamgaddis.org/jr/jrnotes1.shtml
>>
>>8608234
>i think gaddis said that you should just get swept along and read it in talking speed without worrying so much about who's talking

never knew this but feels good because thats how i was reading it
>>
>>8608255
just got the Dalkey version. the paper quality is top notch. none of that thin ass paper shit that penguin classics have
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.