[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Considering a subscription, is it any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: The new yorker.png (167KB, 267x375px) Image search: [Google]
The new yorker.png
167KB, 267x375px
Considering a subscription, is it any good?
>>
I have someone else's subscription due to some sort of mailing error. It's not bad, but there's just better things you can subscribe to, like Harper's.
>>
>>8607864
I don't know, but thanks for asking.
>>
No. If you're looking for fiction, get Granta instead. If you're looking for lit criticism, get Times Literary Supplement instead. If you're looking for in depth analysis of current events, get New York Review of Books instead.
The New Yorker has been shit since Tina Brown took over.
>>
>>8607864
>paying for opinions
>>
>>8607864
Bad. I started the trial which was like $12 for 12 weeks and almost every issue was propaganda spewed out for whatever reason/agenda. I count 3 of the issue covers were of Trump depicted in a unpleasant manner and all of the 12 issues had a story on why trump shouldn't win ; all had different approaches. Every story written on current events was biased in some way and barely any of the poems or fiction stood out for me. Most of the focus of the articles were on social justice type issues and when they weren't they were on things like for example the current issue Karl Marx and why he was such a bad person.
I think it's safe to say The New Yorker isn't what it used to be. I'm thinking of picking up an old copy on eBay just to compare.
TL;DR
Not worth it. You might as well get your daily load of propaganda online as opposed to spending money on curated topics of their choice. The only upside of this magazine was that I could fold it and read off it as I'd read on a mobile device but it beats the point when you don't want to read what's on it.
>>
goodwill (at least where I live) always had tons of old issues. since I don't care at all about the political shit, and that's all that's time sensitive, it's easier and cheaper to just read the back issues you can find.

Or the library. My library keeps at least 3 months worth of issues.
>>
>>8608028
well, Trump is a really, really, really, really bad nominee who shouldn't be president. as for biases, every single article in a review has biases. plus, what's wrong with articles about social justice? i don't think it's a leap to say you do not enjoy the magazine because it doesn't share your political views. that's okay. i don't read the Christian Science Monitor or watch the 700 Club for the very same reason. however, let me reiterate. a Trump presidency is a win for the dunces.
>>
>>8607864
i enjoy reading the odd issue here and there. i usually read the fiction online or when i find a copy. they recently had great stories by Thomas McGuane and Jonothan Lethem, and a stellar retrospective on Leonard Cohen. i suggest subscribing. what have you got to lose other than a handful of bucks. hell, i'd subscribe with you if i didn't spend a few hours a week in the library where i can read copies for free.
>>
i only read the short stories and they're usually fucking good

had a subscription for years

so yes, it is good.

>>8608028
>>8607887

ignore these butthurt faggots
>>
>>8607864
the poetry is terrible
the cartoons are terrible
the short stories are middling to bad
the essays are okay to good
some pretty good long-form journalism from time to time

I would rather get a subscription to Vanity Fair, their long-form is so good and none of the crappy literary pretense, you just have to wade through some celebrity noise from time to time

The New Yorker is what middle aged professional pseuds who are too busy to actually read subscribe to, and mostly just leave lying around unread in big stacks to give off on an impression of high-culture
>>
File: 1473765866152.jpg (39KB, 485x481px) Image search: [Google]
1473765866152.jpg
39KB, 485x481px
>goym indoctrination magazine
>worth readinh
>>
>>8608370
I was criticizing the magazine as OP asked if it was worth subscribing. My critical viewpoint of it has nothing to do with my political beliefs. I pointed out all the things I considered wrong with it including all the Trump hate but that doesn't mean I support Trump. It's no good, there was nothing worthwhile for me in the content and I won't be continuing my subscription.
>>
There's no point when you can just read Brody's stuff online. The occasional decent story doesn't justify the massive effort of sifting through all the upper middle class progressive agitprop. Pic related, it's yesterday's insightful and hilarious cartoon commentary on the presidential election
>>
>>8608370
k y s fampai
bet ur a womyn
if not neck yourself
>>
>>8608513
this tbqhfaf
>>
>>8607864
bourgeoisie liberalism at its most insufferable. The New Yorker's basically an aspirational lifestyle magazine targeted at upper middle class suburbanites who like to pat themselves on the back for watching 'critically acclaimed TV', 'checking their privilege' and obsessing over inane celebrity gossip
>>
>>8608370
a win for Trump is a win for Western Civilization and patrician white culture

a win for Hillary is a Win for SJWs and cultural marxism

choose wisely, my fellow patricians
>>
>tfw just bought 32 issues of sulphur magazine

>tfw also bought 11 used issues of oxford art journal for $8

there's better things out there i think, a lot of those academic publications are extremely pricey.
>>
>>8609106
Well said. And irrespective of any political agenda, the short stories are all utter pomo garbage
>>
>>8608452
nice post jackass
>>
What are the best magazines?
>>
>>8609106
Agreed - had a subscription through my university while I was in college. The worst part is how saturated the writing about New York is with the unique pretension that New Yorkers have about their city. Reading that magazine, you'd get the impression nothing worthwhile happens anywhere outside of NYC (and perhaps, occasionally, London or Tokyo). If you're familiar with the nerdwriter1 YouTube channel, their political articles have the same level of vague, pseudo-insight. Their short stories are okay, which is probably the worst thing you can say about a piece of writing.

I also got the Economist and Businessweek through my school. Those magazines were pretty good, but only if you're interested in business and international politics.

Girls thought I was interesting for subscribing to the New Yorker at least? I'd leave the most recent copy of that and the Economist whenever I had a girl over. Would always get some comment about being "classy" because apparently subscribing to two of the most popular magazines in the world is a status symbol.
>>
>>8609514
Where'd you get the Oxford Art Journals?
>>
>>8609600
Even worse than their writing about New York is their writing about Los Angeles. It's the same at the New York Times. Sad to think that these people are considered some of the brightest and most creative around and the most informative things they can write about a city of millions have to do with a New Yorker moving there for space and lower rent.

New Yorkers need to stay the fuck out of Los Angeles, we have enough of you.
>>
>>8609113
Moderately agree with the first part.

A win for Hillary will be the same 4 years. She's not a liberal, she's a conservative.
>>
>>8608370
end yourself, he wasn't even talking politics you overly sensitive faggot. go back to the comments of HuffPo articles
>>
>>8608028
There's really nothing more plebeian then attacking a publication like The New Yorker for "bias." Yes, quite a lot of its coverage is flavored by a certain point of view. So what? Having a point of view, arguing for it, and defending it is really what the intellectual life - the life of ideas - is about.

There is a place for pure reportage, and that place is porbably in the newspapers.
The New Yorker is for an audience who is already aquatinted with the basic facts of major news stories (e.g Trump). They read The New Yorker not for that same sort of pure reportage but more for the ideas that are in it (and for a certain degree of literary quality). You may disagree with those ideas, but attacking the magazine for expressing the ideas is sort of missing the point.
>>
>>8609600
>subscribing to two of the most popular magazines in the world is a status symbol.

I'm quite certain this is why 99% of the people who subscribe to the New Yorker or the Economist do anything, let alone subscribe to magazines

you should reconsider some of your other life choices desu
>>
>>8608028
Every publication should be honor-bound to answer to the cancer known as the alt-right. Cry more, faggot.
>>
>>8609610

Surprisingly enough I got them on ebay. If you look you'll find good deals for old magazine publications. People don't know the price of them/don't care and when their professor husband dies sell it off somewhere else.

I'd keep a look out for them from time to time. Who wants to pay $140 a year.
>>
>>8609822
thanks m8
>>
>>8609600
>If you're familiar with the nerdwriter1 YouTube channel, their political articles have the same level of vague, pseudo-insight.
This channel is pseud central.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.