[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get to enjoy literature conversation in real life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

How do you get to enjoy literature conversation in real life?

I don't really have any friends to talk books with, or anyone anywhere near the level of insight many show here

So when I read a book it's internalized, yet it doesn't seem to stick as I don't get to talk about it or have much reason for analyzing it or reviewing after I've finished it

Do you guys join book clubs? Have friends on a similar literary level? Or do you just shitpost about it here?
>>
Hang around in independent bookstores.
>>
>>8607007
I'm in academia, so I don't lack for people to talk to.

>>8607019's suggestion is good if you can find one. There's one in my city that just opened staffed entirely by people with great taste.
>>
>>8607007
The book club at my school is shit. It's all YA. I talk to my friends or my cousins about literature
>>
>>8607028
>>8607019
I'll try this, however I live in a Texas Hispanic majority city, which isn't to say we're incapable, the culture just is not conducive to the kind of literary prowess you can find in other liberal cities, very traditionally instilled values and uncultured in general outside of that, I'm just a pessimist though, but there just isn't much of an artistic scene here
>>
>>8607077
Which one, anon? I actually live in Texas too, I bet I know one for you.
>>
>>8607085
Oh just El Paso, you?
>>
>>8607098
Damn, I was thinking San Antonio, in which case there's a lot there. I don't know anything for El Paso. Las Cruces, a bit north, seems to have a lot more going for it in terms of bookstores and culture, but that's a bit of a drive.

I'm in Dallas.
>>
>>8607019
>Hipsters have anything insightful to provide

>>8607007
>Implying lit is insightful
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 188x261px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 188x261px
>>8607129
>mfw when people call things "hipster" that I grew up with years ago
>independent bookstores
>banana bread
>birkenstocks
>mason jars
>>
>>8607191
Maggie? Your parents are hipsters just fyi
>>
>>8607203
Lol, no, they were hiPPIES
>>
i used to have smart friends who read interesting books at uni, but i've gradually lost touch with them
i still exchange book recommendations with my ex who has patrician taste but we don't talk that much these days.
i joined a local book group and it's fantastic, it's mainly made up of these brilliant old ladies who are all retired lecturers or some shit and the majority of books are actually interesting. the conversation is great but it's only 2 hours every month or two
>>
>>8607235
That's neat

Do you usually contribute much to the conversation? I'm sure a bunch of old ladies are keen to hear anyone's opinion on books so it must feel pretty open
>>
>>8607411
sure, i contribute plenty
i've been doing it a couple of years by now so we all know each other
>>
>>8607007
Few and far between. An old girlfriend was a massive Joyce and Kierkegaard fan, we broke up but still talk. She is the smartest person I know.

I have a friend who is currently in a writing class and mostly deals with sci-fi and fantasy, but when I gave him Borges to read he cast it off as boring and a waste of time. He still hasn't gotten past the third page of Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
>>
A close friend of mine from childhood is very bright and has good taste, so we often discuss literature with one another. However it's mostly via text message these days, since he moved several states away.

Currently talking to a girl who seems pretty bright and studied English, though we haven't actually discussed literature yet. Seems like a solid prospect for a good literary conversation though.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.