[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some works that attempt to justify altruism, empathy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

What are some works that attempt to justify altruism, empathy and love on a logical, philosophical basis?
Something that'll BTFO Ayn Rand and Stirner for example.
>>
File: JBPedit2.jpg (65KB, 238x360px) Image search: [Google]
JBPedit2.jpg
65KB, 238x360px
This guy.
>>
>>8606493
Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Hume, Kant
>>
>>8606493

Here's the real question:

WHY do you want to justify altruism, empathy and love?

If they are not self-evidently justified, you had better start asking some hard questions.
>>
I am a Jewish lawyer and my name is Tom Sawyer.
>>
>>8606529
This
>>
>>8606529
They are already self-evident for me, but I don't think my positive subjective experience with those emotional views apply to everyone and can hold a ground in a serious argument, and that fact makes me quite uncomfortable.
>>
>>8606493
do you mean you want to "justify" them or explain them?

if you feel you need to "justify" love, then you're probably not an actual human being

if you want to explain the roots of altruism then a good place to start would be richard dawkins' the selfish gene. sorry he's not one of the woo so deep thinkers /lit/ pseuds like to namedrop
>>
File: 1472801401784.gif (2MB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1472801401784.gif
2MB, 500x364px
>>8606701
>richard dawkins' the selfish gene
>Actually citing a popular science book
>>
>>860670
>do you mean you want to "justify" them or explain them?
>if you feel you need to "justify" love, then you're probably not an actual human being

see >>8606614
>>
>>8606708
oops, meant to quote
>>8606701
>>
>>8606703
i don't think you really know the meaning of the word "citing"

perhaps you should read a few more science books
>>
File: 1451942748229.jpg (158KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1451942748229.jpg
158KB, 720x480px
>>8606741
>being THIS PENDATIC AND SALTY
>>
>>8606760
>PENDATIC
>>
>>8606614

Trying to convince a Randfag that altruism is cool is like trying to convince a blind man that the sky is blue.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.