[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite Short Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Raymond Carver.jpg (133KB, 620x416px) Image search: [Google]
Raymond Carver.jpg
133KB, 620x416px
Raymond Carver is one of my favorite short story writers, what do you think about him?

I've been in a short story mood lately.

What are you favorite short stories /lit/? Any recommended authors?
>>
>>8605905
"Cathedral" is really good. I got sick of him after reading a few stories, though. Definitely a master of the minimalist form, but gets tiresome after a short while.

My favorite short story is DFW's "Good Old Neon." Showing my cards here.

Maybe Ligotti's "The Bungalow House."
>>
>>8605910
Yeah I really admire his minimalist style, my prose tends to be "stuffed" and I've been trying to learn from his work.

I'll check out those stories, thanks
>>
I love Nabokov's short stories, behind him I would have to say Kafka.

Chesterton's Father Brown stories are also excellent, very cozy and funny.
>>
File: s-l500 (2).jpg (30KB, 327x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500 (2).jpg
30KB, 327x500px
>>
>>8605905

any good carver book that is a compilation of said short stories?
>>
I've been reading some Kjell Askildsen short stories and i have to say i love them
>>
I like Carver but I find he's always in his comfort zone, at least of what I've read by him.
My favorite short story might be The Ghost of Magnetism by William Vollmann.
Favorite collections would have to be Last Evenings on Earth by Roberto BolaƱo, Oblivion by David Wallace, and Nine Stories by JD Salinger.
If you're wondering why the Vollmann collection I read Ghost in isn't on that list it's because the collection is very inconsistent. Though when he gets it right, he gets it right.
>>
I read his collection what we talk about when we talk about love and thought it was meh. does he have any better books or are they all the same?
>>
It might be said too much, but Hemingway's short stories are truly fantastic.
>>
>>8605924

This, Kafka and Nabokov have great short stories.

Borges is the one true God of the form though, for my money.
>>
>>8605910
>>
>>8606137
And to be clear, "GON" is one of my favorites too, for sure within my top 5. So it's... er... somewhat ironic how sincerely I like it and identify with it.
>>
>>8605905
Tolstoy of course is the absolute master of the short story (I keep plugging What Men Live By on /lit/). Katherine Mansfield is good. Thomas Hardy's Wessex Tales are comfy as fuck. And Kafka excels too at the format.
>>
Delmore Schwartz "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities" and anything by Grace Paley.
>>
Speaking of Borges, has anyone read Isaac Babel's stories? Borges seemed to have been a big fan of him.
>>
>>8606179
Odessa Stories were really good, but supposedly Red Cavalry is the masterpiece collection.
>>
>>8606137
ffs, the screenshotted idea is the paradox that makes the story work. this is "lol Holden is a phony Salinger is so dumb!"-tier
>>
File: 316145.jpg (225KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
316145.jpg
225KB, 1440x900px
>>8605905
Never heard of him; what do you recommend?

Borges is my favorite, and 'Deutsches Requiem' is what I think to be his best short.
>>
Ernest Hemmingway
Donald Barthelme
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Flan Flan
>>
>>8605905
After the Denim is such a heartbreaker and so sincere about it. Carver was a great guy. IF you haven't already done that, check out Bolano's short story collection "The Insufferable Gaucho". Really great stuff and there's also some essays about having to live with an incurable disease, really gives you an interesting perspective on the mind of Bolano.
>>
Offloading Ms. Schwartz by Colonel Saunders
>>
T h e o l o g i a n s
>>
>>8605905
Flannery O'Connor
J.D. Salinger
Juan Rulfo
James Joyce
>>
>>8605905
Rose for Emily by Faulkner
>>
>>8607149
upboated

The prose of the ending left me with goosebumps.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.