[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where should I start??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: th.jpg (20KB, 353x480px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
20KB, 353x480px
>>
>>8605791
birth of tragedy
genealogy of morals
thus spake zarathustra
>>
>>8605791
then da greeks
>>
>>8605791
Honestly, everyone will probably tell you to start with one of his books, but you should just read some introductions to his philosophy first. Watch a couple videos about him on youtube. Become familiar with the concepts he works with, you know.
Then, start reading with Thus Spoke Zarathustra. If you just can't get by all the highfalutin bible-speak, then try something like the Genealogy of Morals or Beyond Good and Evil.
Basically, it's easier and more enjoyable to read Nietzsche if you already know what you're getting into.
And personally, I think that because some of Nietzsche's ideas aren't as affronting to the modern reader, we lose the astonishment someone reading TSZ sixty years ago would have had. So focus on the quality of his thoughts, because Nietzsche may have been a crazy motherfucker by some standards, but he was gifted with the talent for thinking beautifully.
Good luck!
>>
>>8605825
>>8605828
>>8605837
thanks guys, love this board
>>
>>8605837
>>8605828
Yes, also you'll want to have an understanding of the basic greek philosophers, especially Poetics, for when Nietzsche gets on talking about tragedies.
And an understanding of the Bible, especially the New Testament is good as well. Nietzsche loves to make reference to the life of Jesus.
>>
>>8605791
Chronological order. So, Birth of Tragedy. But f you want to stick to the essentials:
Human, All Too Human
The Gay Science
Zarathustra
Beyond Good and Evil
On the Genealogy of Morality
Twilight of the Idols
Antichrist
Ecce Homo

In that order. Be careful with Will to Power, if you choose to read that (it was not a planned book but was cobbled together posthumously from his notes). You could pick up the Viking Portable Nietzsche and Nietzsche's Basic Works, which include everything on here but The Gay Science.
>>
>>8605850
To add to this, in case you aren't very well versed with Nietzsche's influences. A general knowledge of the Greeks and Schopenhauer is pretty much all you need to understand him. German materialism and Christian doctrine can help. His knowledge of Kant probably comes exclusively via Schopenhauer. Nietzsche read very little philosophy.
>>
>>8605840
You're getting meme'd so hard I feel bad for you lad. Thus Spoke Zarathrustra is what one ought to read after finishing all of his books; TSZ is to Nietzsche what Summa Theologica is to Aquinas.
Start with Geneaology of Morals. And also, next time ask your prof or someone more qualified to answer some questions & remember, never start with the Greeks.
>>
>>8605950
>says to never start with the Greeks
>OP asking about what to read for Nietzsche
WEW
>>
>>8605959
>not reading the whole thread in order to understand why I said that
W E W
E
W
>>
>>8605950
baka

>>8605959
this

In TSZ if you have a passing familiarity with Plato, the New Testament, Faust, and Schopenhauer, you'll get 99% of references (and if you don't, that's what footnotes are for!)
>>
>>8605791
with their first album, like with any other artist
>>
translation recommendations?
>>
1. Untimely Meditations
2a. Thus Spoke Zarathustra
2b. The Birth of Tragedy

Nietzsche himself has said it many times, and so have i but this thread keeps popping up again and again so i may actually create a chart at one point. Untimely Meditations, as Nietzsche perceived it, was like a trial of the reader. If you feel that what he writes speaks to you deeply, to your perception of the world and your struggles then continue with Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which is not his "endgame" but rather a beautifully written (All english translations suck though) fictionalization of his philosophy and if you don't feel that way but you are still interested, maybe from a philo-historical point of view, in his thoughts and ideas start with The Birth of Tragedy. Of Course before you start with Birth of Tragedy you need to

Start with the greeks.
>>
>>8606665
Walter Kaufmann
>>
>>8606681
This is the best test to see which Nietzsche translation is the best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarathustra%27s_roundelay
The result is: None.
They all get it wrong
>>
>>8606665
Kaufmann.
The few works he didn't translate, stick to Hollingdale.

Purchase The Portable Nietzsche &
Basic Writings of Nietzsche (Modern Library)

And with those two books alone, you end up having the following in its entirety

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Twilight of the Idols
The Antichrist
Nietzsche Contra Wagner
The Birth of Tragedy
Beyond Good and Evil
On The Genealogy of Morals
The Case of Wagner
Ecce Homo

Between those two books (which will cost you less than $40), you'll also have a few of his letters and selections from his other works.

If you purchase those two, the only other works by him you'll need are

Untimely Meditations
Dawn/Daybreak
The Gay Science
Human, All Too Human
and that paper On Truth and Lies.
>>
>>8606690
care to elaborate?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.