[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats /lit/s thoughts on it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: roman-a-clef-on-the-road-kerouac.jpg (107KB, 900x1362px) Image search: [Google]
roman-a-clef-on-the-road-kerouac.jpg
107KB, 900x1362px
Whats /lit/s thoughts on it?
>>
>>8605654
I read the Original Scoll and I found it to be a moving piece on the freewheeling landscape of 1950s America, the passing of the Beat generation and the inevitability of death. Others may disagree
>>
>>8605654
It made me wonder if being a drifter is really that easy.
>>
Pretty sure I read the edited original publication. Found much of it a tad meandering, but I think that might also be an effective illustration of life 'on the road.' The final section is blissful and satisfying, way more immediately compelling than the preceding sections. Jack and Neil (forget the pseudonyms he uses lol) have a pretty interesting relationship. I have a friend who insists its the ultimate depiction of a brotherly connection. I mostly thought Neil was just inconsiderate, but Jack's attraction to him and his lifestyle was potent.

One of those books probably overrated irl but definitely underrated on /lit/
>>
HERE I GO AGAIN ON MY OWNNNNN.
>>
I loved this book, I've only read it once though, when I was a teenager. A reread might change my opinion but as of now it's a classic, an insight into a fascinating era and lifestyle.

>>8606991
Kerouac got bailed out by family quite a few times. Neal Cassady's 'The First Third' is a more accurate depiction imo, he really had it hard. His prose doesn't match Kerouac's and he can get swamped down in irrelevant details but it's interesting nonetheless.
>>
dropped it after 50p. perfect book for every pseud on this board though.
>>
>>8605654
It made me anxious because this intangible thing that they were all desperately chasing without knowing exactly what it was was never really achieved.
>>
For me this book was life changing. Read it as a teen when I was stuck in
a northern coal mining town, with no foreseeable means of getting out. The
freedom it depicted was absolutely inspiring to me at that age.
>>8608201 <This too. That concept which the beats later labeled dharma
was something I thought would fix me and break down all the barriers in my life.

Eventually got out by going to college, meeting my best friend who we joke about
being my Neal. We went on a road trip one summer and I wrote ever day trying
to capture that feeling Kerouac felt but it didn't come.

I think I just grew apart from the book's animus. Makes me a little sad.
It mattered a lot to me in my formative years.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.