[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good book about African people?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (65KB, 269x402px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 269x402px
Is this a good book about African people?
>>
>>8605187
The other two books in Achebe's African Trilogy
>>
>>8605187
ye
>>
File: 1436421101805.jpg (51KB, 359x305px) Image search: [Google]
1436421101805.jpg
51KB, 359x305px
Depends on how many yams you own
>>
>>8605196
What are they?
>>8605201
I don't own any yams.
>>
>>8605230
Things Fall Apart
No Longer At Ease
Arrow of God

Pretty sure there's an Everyman's Edition of the trilogy.
>>
>>8605187
The protagonist is in the running for most unlikeable ever and Chinua is a dipshit. However, it is pretty good to read in order to see how primitive those niggers are.
>>
>>8605187
Okonkwo a straight up dindu. The only thing he actually is innocent for is his musket blowing up and killing one of his kinsman.
>>
I enjoyed it a quite a lot. Okonkowo is pretty unlikable but couldn't help but pity him
>>
>>8605187
i got to read this freshman year of high school so hey.
>>
>>8605662
Tbh Okonkwo and the plot itself is pretty forgettable but the proverbs and the descriptions of religious processes are all excellent.
>>
File: ramey.jpg (60KB, 528x750px) Image search: [Google]
ramey.jpg
60KB, 528x750px
>>8605230
>1900
>not farming yams
>>
>>8605671
This
The proverbs were my favourite part and the religious ceremonies were fantastic
I don't know exactly how accurate it all was but it was a very enjoyable read and takes you into the world created
>>
>>8605671
Okonkwo is a bit too memorable for me because of all the wrong reasons. He was a bloodthirsty asshole but I didn't know whether to hate him because of his actions or feel pity because of his reasons for being that way.
>>
>>8605455
>Okonkwo a straight up dindu
Really unfair assessment considering how he's essentially like a tragic hero. In the classical sense of course but he's still an asshole.
>>
>>8605695
I would have bought Okonkwo's whole schtick a lot more if they kept how we're supposed to view him more ambiguous instead of his friend just saying "He was one of the best men in the village" after he commits so many borderline crimes.
>>
>>8605671
The little epilogue about how Okonkwo's life wouldn't even make a decent paragraph I found very moving. Not even strictly from a racial standpoint, but in a broader sense about the futility of man's struggles.
>>
>>8605746
Does that ever go anywhere in the sequels? The whole thing with the Commissar showing up and being the protagonist for the last chapter felt like sequel bait to me. Are the other two worth reading?
>>
>>8605719
I took that as a critique of the tribe's culture. There's at least one part where someone tells him that he's gone too far after he slaps the shit out of his family, but he's such a good warrior that they can't really do much about it. I think the tribe's whole gender norms situation is fucked up but it's hard to say exactly how.
>>
>>8605230
>he doesn't own any yams
>>
>>8605762
It's fucked up because of Okonkwo's obsession with not being seen as weak and womanly causing him to commit dick move after dick move. The part when he participates in the murder of his adoptive son was particularly infuriating.
>>8605764
Fuck off Okwonko
>>
>>8605774
>implying that preserving your image as strong and manly
>doesn't justify making """dick""" move after """dick""" move
>coming from a """"man"""" with no yams

How's your womanly religion, Nwoye?
>>
File: allblowover.gif (2MB, 348x323px) Image search: [Google]
allblowover.gif
2MB, 348x323px
>>8605201
This guy.

>>8605247
Arrow of God was good too. Havent read the second part.
>>
>>8606097
>killing Ikemefuna and the messenger
>justified
Enjoy your crimes against the Earth, Okonkwo.
>>
WHAT'S THE YAM
>>
Dark Of The Sun
>>
>be Okonkwo
>live whole life along rigid tradition
>kill adopted son because tradition
>farm yams because tradition
>have shit family life because tradition
>suddenly britbongs
>whoops we colonized Nigeria your whole worldview is obsolete now t.whitey
I'd be mad too desu
>>
Anyone here read Man of the People? How was it?
>>
>>8606588
>implying Okonkwo wasn't the shit in his family
Nigger shot at Ekwefi because of a fucking tree
>>
Midaq Alley

Season of Migration to the North
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.