[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have to translate this thing. What should I know before doing it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: recog.jpg (137KB, 399x630px) Image search: [Google]
recog.jpg
137KB, 399x630px
I have to translate this thing. What should I know before doing it?
>>
Which language?
>>
>>8604581
Brazilian Portuguese.
>>
>>8604585
Why? I hope you're getting well paid. I read the BR translation of Ulysses and it was surprisingly decent.
>>
>>8604585
>as reconheções
>>
>>8604572
english
>>
>>8604607

Really? The Houaiss version or a newer one? I was thinking about getting one. Did you ever read it in english?
>>
>>8604585
There's supposed to be a Spanish translation already, isn't there? Maybe track down a copy of that and use it for reference.
>>
>>8604572
are you actually getting paid by a publisher to translate it? that's really cool if so.
>>
>>8604620
The new one. Yes, but it was 3 years ago.
>>
>>8604572
try to get paid by the word
>>
>>8604572
Have you read it already?

There's nothing specifically you need to know, you're lucky you don't have someone as involved like Joyce or Nabokov or even Shakespeare where you have to translate all the wordplay and dense puns somehow if you're lucky, or if it doesn't work you have to put the annoying footnotes in explaining them, since Gaddis doesn't rely on puns and wordplay. His prose, also, isn't something very heavenly, it could even be improved in translation, I'd say, it's not like the reader is missing much by not reading it in the original. The prose is great, but you get the sense that it could be translated without much loss of meaning or beauty.

You'll probably become super learned by going through it sentence by sentence, if you research the allusions and write footnotes for them to explain them --- although honestly, a footnoted version of The Recognitions sounds horrifying, I read it and similarly dense books w/o footnotes and I'm glad I did, it definitely impedes the flow of the reading (I'm looking at you, DFW).
>>
File: dfw cringe.png (220KB, 347x440px) Image search: [Google]
dfw cringe.png
220KB, 347x440px
>>8605651
>it could even be improved in translation
>>
Are you still there OP? Are you doing it for a big publisher here in Brazil? Or on your own?
>>
>>8606023
Wow, not only is your sentiment retarded, but you posted a picture of the plebbiest author of all time, good job.
>>
>>8605651
Everytime
>>
>>8607224
Also curious
>>
when translating, write hue hue hue after every time Recktall Brown's name is mentioned in the text
>>
There's a ton of wordplay and malapropism that will probably be impossible to translate.
>>
>>8605651
REddit: the post
>>
>>8607965

>he thinks Gaddis' prose could be improved by a random translator

kys my man
>>
>>8605651
>puns
>meaning, beauty

Is this really how this board thinks?
>>
>>8609424
A pun can be very impressive if it is incorporated naturally into a poem. The problem with puns on the internet is that you can come up with one at your leisure and you will inevitably find a tangentially related situation in which you can use it in.
>>
>>8604585
Sounds like you should probably know Brazilian Portuguese before doing it.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.