[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he even good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: charles dickens.jpg (58KB, 615x787px) Image search: [Google]
charles dickens.jpg
58KB, 615x787px
or overrated as fuck
>>
>>8604535
Underrated if anything, since so many people only remember "that really long book that bored me in primary school" and don't revisit.
>>
>>8604535
The king of the novel, there is no other.
>>
>>8604535

He is unmatched when it comes to character creation
His prose is delightful once you develop an ear for his verbiage
Pickwick is hilarious
Bleak House is his masterpiece
>>
>>8604535
Victorian DFW t b h.
>>
>>8604535
Great Expectations is good. A Christmas Carol is fun to read around christmas time.

I think a lot of his bad rep comes from Oliver Twist. It that very circuitous, repetitive, chummy prose that people often imitate when sending him up, and it is not a subtle in its social moralizing as his other works.
>>
pleb shit
>>
>>8604535
He's good but not overrated. He's not the King of the Novel. He's good.
>>
File: welcome_to_my_dark_place.jpg (24KB, 300x362px) Image search: [Google]
welcome_to_my_dark_place.jpg
24KB, 300x362px
>>8604535

He's average. Certainly overrated, but usually by plebs. He writes cartoon characters and his prose, though often wryly humourous, has no sheen. Best to approach him as a moral and comedic author, like Mark Twain; the artistry isn't quite there but the writing still has worthwhile elements.
>>
A Christmas Carol was one of the few books I've ever read. Pretty easy read.
How did I even get on this board? lmao
>>
Very dull experience for non-anglophones, only hyped by them for any other reason than actual quality.

I suspect anglos get a bit butthurt when they realize their modern literature only started to warm up in late XIX century so they create this insane narrative of absolutely mediocre shit like Dickens, Twain, Emerson and Hawthorne to try and compensate the fact that the french where BTFOing everyone ever since the revolution.

The same movement can be seen in philosophy with the "analytical tradition", created out of pure resentment their high functioning autist language doesn't even have the full on autism germans have (these days, relying mostly on french hacks high on shrooms to try and translate that sophistry into something actually useful for real life).
>>
>>8605090

Agreed, Mark Twain is a way better writer than Dickens though.

Trollope is better than Dickens, even.
>>
I kinda regret not reading authors like Twain an Dickens during my teenage years.
>>
>>8605090
>>8605156
These are parody criticisms right? That's why you picked meringue guy? You can't really think and talk in this inept way surely?
>>
>>8605221

The first post is mine but not the second. What part did you believe inept?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.