[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this a good introduction to philosophy? why, why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 9780140449334.jpg (22KB, 400x430px) Image search: [Google]
9780140449334.jpg
22KB, 400x430px
is this a good introduction to philosophy? why, why not?
>>
It's a nice compilation of aphorisms, no pre-reading required, except for maybe Epictetus if you're onto it. Not hard to understand desu but some thoughts in their simplicity are quite memorable
>>
>>8604427
No. It is a series of aphorisms, not meant for publication from a man who belongs to a philosophical school which no one on the internet understands but thinks they do.

If you really want a baby's first primary source philosophical work Descartes's is a must. It marks the break with older philosophy in such a stark way there is no required knowledge to read and acts as a good spring board for the next hundred or so years of philosophy.

At some point you will want to read some sort of secondary text for those new to the subject. To begin with it will be very hard and while I think they vary greatly in quality sometimes youtube videos and podcasts can be good to get to grips with the basics of something.

http://plato.stanford.edu/index.html
This is a great resource with every article written by someone with their PhD in philosophy.
>>
>>8604353
START WITH THE FUCKING GREEKS
>>
>>8605852
I had a lecture by the guy that wrote the war article, was entertaining.
>>
>>8606467
Any other suggestions for fucking greeks?
>>
File: 51m21riqIbL.jpg (45KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
51m21riqIbL.jpg
45KB, 334x500px
>>8606473
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.