[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i learn to enjoy fiction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1473907725542.png (561KB, 490x609px) Image search: [Google]
1473907725542.png
561KB, 490x609px
How do i learn to enjoy fiction?
>>
i want to sow her womb with my seed then protect her for 9 months with a bone club made from the femur of a wooly mammoth
>>
what have you read
>>
Who is this girl? i think I've found my truemate
>>
>>8603724
count of monte cristo
moby dick
lolita

haven't finished any of them because of how dreadfull the experience was
>>
>>8603808
Reading is just not for you then
>>
>>8603816
Are you sure? I find it strange that i am able to apreciate every other major art form (painting, classical music, serious cinema) but am unable to get into literature, maybe the most important form of art.
Also i enjoy reading non fiction (primeraly history and philosophy)
Are the books that i read considered accesible for beginers?
>>
>>8603843
"serious" cinema still only takes 2 hours

Do what I did. Every month make a goal of reading 1 literary classic and 1 of whatever genre trash you enjoy
>>
File: 1474330123503.gif (77KB, 750x227px) Image search: [Google]
1474330123503.gif
77KB, 750x227px
>>8603843

Maybe because all of those things you listed have a very easy first step into enjoying them.

The books you listed — if you are >>8603808 — have a depth and dimension to them that isn't as easy to appreciate as a painting with pretty colours.

Maybe start small like Young adult fiction? I'm not being condescending, It's what I recommend 20 somethings who didn't get to experience the slow build-up of reading from the very beginning.
>>
>>8603864

I really like the Winnie the Pooh comics because there are those who read them and their first reaction is to label Pooh as a jerk. But when you really understand how his mind thinks you start to realise that he's the only one who can actually say these things because he's a fucking bear who can maul them all to death.
>>
>>8603852
>>8603864
Thanks for the advice
are there any fiction books that you can recomend (even if its young adult fiction)?
>>
Try reading non-fiction first and realize how fucking miserable reading can be. You'll appreciate that fiction a whole lot more.
>>
>>8603888
i already do that
i actually enjoy reading non-fiction
>>
>>8603887
Seconding trying some YA fiction. If you didn't enjoy the books you've tried, start simple.

Plus, YA books are usually shorter, so it's less of an investment if you don't like a particular book.
>>
>>8603887
you said you are interested in history, right?
Maybe read some Dan Brown novel or some shit
>>
File: W4hGgYR.gif (59KB, 600x182px) Image search: [Google]
W4hGgYR.gif
59KB, 600x182px
>>8603887

Try a mainstream series. Those are a good way to start delving into non-fiction both casually and enjoyably.

Goosebumps is a good starting point to develop character empathy in reading.

Discard your ego when you read and don't focus on trying to predict the end. Just enjoy the ride and try to understand what each of the characters are feeling and how all the events that are being carefully placed in front of you affect his development as a fully fleshed out human being.

I notice that people who read non-fiction frequently like to apply their own knowledge to the things they read. They enjoy reading about philosophy because they can relate or not relate depending on what they're reading. Either way it requires you to constantly focus on yourself as a character.

>read fiction to escape reality and live in another world for a while.
>read non-fiction to explain or find insightful things about your own world.
>>
>>8603701
By turning the pages!
>>
>>8603954

Also, that is some good writing on that comic. Is he making fun of Eeyore or is he implying that everyone else is laughing at their own self?
>>
File: sYmecke.jpg (95KB, 790x267px) Image search: [Google]
sYmecke.jpg
95KB, 790x267px
>>8603808

Regarding Lolita, I found it to be one of my favourite books.

I find that the kinds of people who read lolita —and either finish it or dont — fall into two categories. Those who can't get over the fact that it's a love story about a pedophile — and those who are amazed that someone can write so well that they can mesmerize the reader into feeling anything but disgust over the protagonist Humbert Humbert.

It's wordy at times but those kinds of books are the kind that you reread and you will always find something new.
>>
>>8603701
Do you enjoy stories? (In movies, TV, other formats)
>>
>>8604007
when i watch movies, im actually more interested in the atmosphere and emotions they manage to create through cinematographic tecniques than the actual plot, though i also apreciate a good story.
>>
>>8603996

Also Lolita isn't a book you should try to tackle if you aren't already an experienced non-fiction reader. It requires a lot of commitment, character understanding and reading comprehension to appreciate it.

It goes really deep into flavourful descriptions and flowery dialogue.

You won't find easy to digest dialogue like:

"Wow that really sucks!" Sally said, grimacing her face.

Also my favourite line of Lolita: “I knew I had fallen in love with Lolita forever; but I also knew she would not be forever Lolita.”

FUCKING BRILLIANT WORDPLAY
>>
>>8603887
brandon sanderson is very accessible
>>
>>8603887
Narnia.
>>
>>8604029
when you aim for what you want magic happens
>>
>>8603701
stop having autism and read non-pleb shit
>>
>>8604029
Holy shit you are a real life pseud
>>
>>8606269

man this is the perfect place to be a psued. hiding powerlevels in real life is so common these days that everybody is too scared to voice an opinion because of people like you.
>>
File: basinger.png (214KB, 492x656px) Image search: [Google]
basinger.png
214KB, 492x656px
basinger
>>
>>8603965
Plausible deniability.
>>
>>8604029
Is that really in the book? Jesus Christ
>>
>>8606292
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
>>
>>8603965
it's meta commentary on the pessimism/optimism divide.
>>
>>8603887
I think the first novels I can remember reading were Treasure Island and Johnny Tremain.
>>
>>8604007
Not OP, but my biggest obstacle in getting into fiction is that I don't enjoy stories. Heck, I don't even watch movies most of the time. I read a lot of Wikipedia and technical books though, often to some enjoyment. What's wrong with me and can it be fixed?

Gravity's Rainbow was fun tho
>>
>>8603887
i've heard robinson crusoe is the best starter lit fic. personally i would recommend dr jekyl and mr hyde which is one of my favorite books and is very short to boot.
>>
>>8603701
>fiction
So you enjoy reading non-fiction?

It's probably best to list some books you do like so it's easier for people to recommend you fiction you might enjoy.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.