[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finnegans Wake general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: winnegans_fake.jpg (102KB, 540x413px) Image search: [Google]
winnegans_fake.jpg
102KB, 540x413px
>inb4 '

What should I read before starting Finnegans Wake? I assume the rest of Joyce's work. What about reviews/criticism (either from the time or contemporary)? What languages other than English would be helpful to know (either working knowledge or fluency)? What books should I have read?

If you have a hyperbolic answer like "le entire western canon", then qualify that statement.
>>
>>8602752
There is literally nothing you could read about this book to prepare you. This book wasn't meant to be interpreted, but experienced.
>>
>>8602752
the correct answer is "everything joyce read" because he basically drew on everything he had. outside of, maybe, vico, there's no single one thing that's meaningfully more important than anythign else. everything that you do read aids a smidgen with understanding more of fw, but there's really no one text (besides, as mentioned, vico) that will give you a big boost.
>>
>>8602758
>>8602764
Cool, thanks for the hot Vico tip. FW is sort of an asymptotic goal of mine since I only started reading seriously about a year ago. So good to know that I wasn't far off in terms of not interpreting/"getting" everything.
>>
When you read it, read it out loud in an Irish accent. It will be more clear.
>>
>>8602797
Or just listen to Jimmy J himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOQi7xspRc
>>
read the damn book
read the damn criticism
read the damn book again
>>
File: jj.jpg (177KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
jj.jpg
177KB, 1280x853px
I think really

all of joyce
vico's new science
freud's on the interpretation of dreams
KJV

but if you just read it first (out loud) without trying too hard you'll understand parts, because some parts are not very hard to parse and you'll get some references from what you've already read. Then you can look up on FWEET parts of the text for more specific interpretation, or look at one of the guides ('joyce's book of the dead' for example)

There's lots of latin parts, and note that italian was joyce's favourite language. But if you're desperate to get the meaning of a specific part look it up

That all said I've only read half of it so far - just like beethoven

Time's a'wasting!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.