[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Existence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: comfycat.jpg (136KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
comfycat.jpg
136KB, 426x364px
Anyone here fully understand what Spinoza meant in Ethics, Concerning God Part 1, Explication 8?

> By eternity I mean existence itself insofar as it is conceived as necessarily following solely from the definition of an eternal thing.

Did he mean that the concept of eternity, and eternity itself, may only exist if there is an entity there to continually perceive it, and its concept? If so, that means in Spinozan terms, God must exist since It is the only eternal being able to carry said concept, right?

I'm asking for a friend, please help.
>>
Well, my interpretation is that eternity is something essential to the Eternal Thing/Substance/God/Being (everything, all in all), not something that may or may not exist depending on something else. It's not contingent: in the moment Being is (and there is no moment, just the fullness of time) eternity is too. Actually, too is the wrong word. There is no difference between Being and eternity, and Being tiself exist in eternity in all directions - time is non linear, the third kind of knowledge (sub specie aeternitatis) means that everything exist in eternity all the time; think of it as the smallest possible point and the biggest possible area. It's easier if you use Parmenides's description of Being as a guide.

But that's me and I'm in no way a Spinza scholar, hope someone else may give another opinion.
>>
File: 1457024389761.jpg (152KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457024389761.jpg
152KB, 640x720px
>>8602169
So, to summarize your point: Eternity may exist even if nothing exists.

How can something exist if there is nothing?

Am I mentally handicapped? Did I not read your post more carefully? Are you the one who's not making any sense?
>>
>>8602222
Wait, how did infer "Eternity may exist even if nothing exists" from my post?

>[Eternity] It's not contingent: in the moment Being is (and there is no moment, just the fullness of time) eternity is too.

Just saying, Being exists. Being is the one Substance, that which, by definition, is and cannot not be. I can't remember his version of the Ontological Argument word for word, but it's in the first half of the first part. God is just another word for Being, in this case, as is Substance. These three words all refer to the same concept, that of something that essentially (as in, it's inherent to its own nature, this thing cannot be thought about withouut this attribute) exists and

>everything exist in eternity all the time

How did you get from this to "eternity may exist even if nothing exists"? I don't understand.
>>
>>8602242
Disregard my previous post, since I mistakenly misunderstood your explanation.

I understand what you mean now, thanks for your time. I'll be sure to read a little about Parmenides, since you mentioned him earlier being a sort of guide.
>>
>>8602277
No worries, Spinoza is not easy to get into and talking about him requires an immoderate amount of Jargon. Parmenides only wrote one book (On Nature), of which we have but a few fragments left; you can read it in ten minutes online, I suggest you look into some secondary literature if you're interested. Good read mate.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.