[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emil Cioran / Pessimism General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: emc.jpg (83KB, 626x800px) Image search: [Google]
emc.jpg
83KB, 626x800px
Where do I start if I want to get into Cioran?

also, Pessimism General

[fuck off if you have nothing constructive to contribute]
>>
nothing constructive to contribute but cioran was a good looking guy in his youth
>>
>>8602102

agreed senpai
>>
File: 5_5.jpg (2MB, 700x851px) Image search: [Google]
5_5.jpg
2MB, 700x851px
On the Heights of Despair if you want to start with his early thought. A Short History of Decay or The Trouble with Being Born if you want his later. He claims that his philosophy didn't change at all after his first book but that is an outright lie.

If you want his thoughts on saints and music check out Tears and Saints. If buddhism or gnosticism are your thing check out The New Gods.

His book Anathemas and Admirations if you want to know what he thought of other writers. It is also mixed with aphorism on a lot of topics.
>>
I don't know how to articulate it too well as I'm not an anglophone but I'm working on something about the inevitability of life-being (or being a necessary consequence of Being, as in Spinoza [or in the anthropic principle]) and the inherent/essential limits of human knowledge in relation to the constitutive Other, the Unknown that we'll never even have a chance to understand, and how our actions and behaviour and linguistic constructs may just be the "surface part" (what we can know and perceive) of something greater or deeper - essentially, I'm trying to write a philosophy of Lovecraftian horror that deals with the necessary coexistence of Human and Inhuman. Somehow, the axiom "all propositions are true" is in there as well, with its own burden of absurdity.

Just saying, I'm unironic. I'm really trying to do this and I don't want to sound pretentious, I just had some kind of epiphany and I'm trying to put it into words. The first summary of it I wrote down in twenty minutes and left me a bit scared, to be honest.
>>
>>8602095
You must start with Giacomo Leopardi if you want to talk about pessimism
>>
>>8602123
>Short History of Decay or The Trouble with Being Born
These to start.
>>
Ochen godniy (This mean - very important) thread, like it. We need more pessimism discussion about.
>>
>>8602132
Would love to read that. If you can make it decently philosophically rigorous (not just riffing on some ideas but really developing it so it's kind of hybrid real philosophy/horror) that'd be neat as shit.
>>
>>8602123
Thank you, this is very helpful.

>>8602132
This sounds interesting, it sounds like you have a lot of work to do though. What books have you been reading recently that you think might be influencing your thought?

>>8602134
Where do you recommend I start?
>>
>>8602171
Yes, I know. I want to do what I'm thinking/feeling justice, I want it to be grounded in Logic, too (luckily, I know a very good professor of the subject). Any rec on the topic on what may be of interest is appreciated.

>>8602173
I've read Lovecraft (obviously), Heidegger, Cioran, some history and anthropology - hard to narrow it down. I want to try Conspiracy Against the Human Race, actually, as one of the ways I thought about the meat of the issue is Being as a conspiracy against itself.

By the way, regarding Leopardi: I've studied him a lot in high school (Italian), so I advise you to read some secondary literature (a brief biography will suffice, something about the man, his ideas and his relationship with them - it varied throughout his life), but start with the Canti. It's his most famous and important "book", though all others are important, interesting and varied in their own right. Just try and put them into a context or read an edition with notes and commentaries, on their own they do not convey all of his thoughts.
>>
PESSIMISM is KEKOLDRY

PESSIMISM(n): entry-tier philosophy for young teeniggers who want to be edgy

while you JERK OFF to SCHOPENHAUER in your room, CHAD is PLAYING FOOTBALL and GETTING CHEERLEADERS PREGNANT

wanna know someone who ISN'T an antinatalist? just ask CHAD nigger

you worthless faggots make me fucking SICK

you only have the death of the white race to apologize for
>>
>>8602205
why reproduce when your kid won't be Chad then? why doom your kid to inferior genetics?
>>
>>8602205
>>8602234
A better question would be, why shit up a thread with a decent discussion about an author and a loose "school of thought" people are interested in?

I know this is bait but I can't understand people who do this, what's the point? Is there some satisfaction in derailing threads and killing discussions? Is it because you think your post(s) will make people suffer and you derive pleasure from that hypothesis?
>>
>>8602249
I'm only trying to save you from being cucked

You should be thanking me
>>
Start with Eraserhead
>>
>>8602205
>child support is better than having a career and family
Might force my kid to read this guys works.
>>
>>8602205
I'm a pessimist and I got endless pussy in University.
>>
>>8602260
You can't be cucked if you don't have a gf you fucking worthless /pol9k/ cretin.
>>
Good thread everybody, we had a good run. Ten whole posts, something to be proud of. Let's call it quits and try again some other time.
>>
Bвepх!
>>
>>8602205
Humanity will probably die out this century so creating one or two more generations is pointless vanity.
>>
>>8602205
>CHAD is PLAYING FOOTBALL and GETTING CHEERLEADERS PREGNANT

vanitas vanitatum
: - )
>>
Start with Despair and Trouble to understand his early and later thoughts with Silogismes de l'Amertume to give an ample view of other subjects more deeply examined in his other books.

After that, simply read what interests you most.

Can anyone give their opinions on Short History of Decay?
>>
>>8602190
Read Fernando Pessoa's Book of Disquiet (and his poems as well)
>>
>>8602190
If you need supplementary material on Lovecraft, Michel Houellebecq's doctorate thesis on him is allegedly very good.
>>
>>8604556
I'm assuming you're saying that because of nuclear warfare?
>>
>>8604746
No, nuclear war has little chance of whiping out humanity completely. There will probably be some cunts on Pitcairn Island and some Greenland eskimos surviving or something like that.

I was thinking about artificial intelligence and nano-technology and the like.
>>
>>8602205
is this some "im jonh and i hate bla bla " variation?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.