[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this book accessible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: Thus+Spoke+Zarathustra.jpg (289KB, 958x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Thus+Spoke+Zarathustra.jpg
289KB, 958x1500px
>>
Congrats on Satan get.

Of course it's accessible. It's a book and is a pretty popular one. Children read that book.
>>
File: WITNESSED.jpg (160KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
WITNESSED.jpg
160KB, 900x900px
>>8600666
Fitting get. It's very accessible, I just wouldn't take it seriously as Nietzsche got BTFO by Tolstoy and others over his ideas.
>>
It is accessible, but unless you want to end up with a fucked up interpretation of Nietzsche, you should read the prerequisites first.
>>
>>8600671
>>8600679
>>8600700

you have two options. just jump in and read, and get a very interesting set of aphorisms and then congrats, you can quote the guy.

or take a conscious effort of understanding who the man was and what he was responding to so you can understand the work as it stands in history.

either/or, but yes, you should definitely read it. i initially took the former approach but ive been working my towards rereading it.
>>
File: Ugly-Animals-40.jpg (41KB, 550x344px) Image search: [Google]
Ugly-Animals-40.jpg
41KB, 550x344px
>>8600700
I read Zarathustra without reading any of his other books first and I don't really see what you mean. The ideas it presents are pretty clear, save for some points which become unnecessarily cryptic. Do you have examples on ideas presented in Zarathustra which contradict things in his other works?
>>8600666
I'd consider it accessible but its not an easy read. It's poetry really and you really should only be picking it up if you're willing to give it its proper time. That being said it is some of the best writing I've ever read, Nietzsche explores his ideas with incomparable brilliance.
>>
File: Take the über pill.jpg (21KB, 442x383px) Image search: [Google]
Take the über pill.jpg
21KB, 442x383px
>>8600666

I read Kaufmann's translation, which was terrible.

I wish I knew German so I could read it in its original language, however. Nietzsche ventured as far as to say that he was basically Goethe's heir in terms of having written such a masterpiece.
>>
>>8600666
Is pic related the best translation of TSZ?
>>
>>8600861

He shared Caesar's belief that 'long marches' were the key to good health. Fun fact.
>>
>>8600850
>Do you have examples on ideas presented in Zarathustra which contradict things in his other works?
I'm not saying he contradicts his other works, but that you might get an incomplete, distorted picture of his philosophy of Overman, transevaluation of values, overcoming oneself, and so on, and so on.
>>
>>8600878
source?
>>
>>8600862
People like Kaufmann's, but Hollingdale is an equally respected Nietzsche scholar and translator.

Plus the Hablik art on the cover is great.
>>
File: RARE.jpg (58KB, 349x499px) Image search: [Google]
RARE.jpg
58KB, 349x499px
>>8600970

Pic related is objectively the best cover.
>>
File: Ressentiment BTFO.jpg (179KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ressentiment BTFO.jpg
179KB, 1920x1080px
>>8600952

>Another problem of diet. The means by which Julius Caesar defended himself against sickliness and headaches: tremendous marches, the most frugal way of life, uninterrupted sojourn in the open air, continuous exertion-these are, in general, the universal rules of preservation and protection against the extreme vulnerability of that subtle machine, working under the highest pressure, which we call genius.

From Twilight of the Idols.
>>
>>8601000

Genuinely, did these guys not just go for a run? Was that not a thing way back when.
>>
>>8601012

They were probably redpilled on running and realized it's bad for your joints - a lesson most people have stupidly forgotten.
>>
>>8601018
Yeah, just that running isn't bad for your joints.

You have to relearn how to run.
>>
>>8601073

>

On hard surfaces such as concrete/rock, it will definitely do damage to your knees and hip over time.

Nothing wrong with a brisk march over uneven terrain desu.
>>
>>8600679
How did Tolstoy blow him the fuck out?
>>
>>8600666
>Is this book accessible?
You can download it for free, so yes.
>>
>>8601095
Here's Tolstoy blowing Nietzsche the fuck out:

pt 1.

This divergence and perversion of the essential question is most striking in what goes today by the name of philosophy. There would seem to be only one question for philosophy to resolve: what must I do? Despite being combined with an enormous amount of unnecessary confusion, answers to the question have at any rate been given within the philosophical tradition of the Christian nations. For example, in Kant's Critique of Practical Reason, or in Spinoza, Schopenhauer and especially Rousseau.
But in more recent times, since Hegel's assertion that all that exists is reasonable, the question of what one must do has been pushed to the background and philosophy has directed its whole attention to the investigation of things as they are, and to fitting them into a prearranged theory. This was the first step backwards. The second step, degrading human thought yet further, was the acceptance of the struggle for existence as a basic law, simply because that struggle can be observed among animals and plants. According to this theory the destruction of the weakest is a law which should not be opposed.
>>
>>8601095
>>8601112
pt 2.

And finally, the third step was taken when the childish originality of Nietzche's half-crazed thought, presenting nothing complete or coherent, but only various drafts of immoral and completely unsubstantiated ideas, was accepted by the leading figures as the final word in philosophical science. In reply to the question: what must we do? the answer is now put straightforwardly as: live as you like, without paying attention to the lives of others.

If anyone doubted that the Christian world of today has reached a frightful state of torpor and brutalization (not forgetting the recent crimes committed in the Boers and in China, which were defended by the clergy and acclaimed as heroic feats by all the world powers), the extraordinary success of Nietzche's works is enough to provide irrefutable proof of this. Some disjointed writings, striving after effect in a most sordid manner, appear, written by a daring, but limited and abnormal German, suffering from power mania. Neither in talent nor in their basic argument do these writings justify public attention. In the days of Kant, Leibniz or Hume, or even fifty years ago, such writings would not only have received no attention, but they would not even have appeared. But today all the so-called educated people are praising the ravings of Mr N, arguing about him, elucidating him, and countless copies of his works are printed in all languages.

Someone posted this a year ago, and I have a text file of this kind of stuff. Not really comfortable with posting a ton of stuff like this but I find it to get to the core of Tolstoy's argument somewhat.
>>
>>8601117
>Not really comfortable with posting a ton of stuff like this

By this I mean stuff I didn't write or find myself, unless I'm memeing.
>>
>>8601117
>live as you like, without paying attention to the lives of others.

Yikes, bad on Shakespeare and Neetchee. Although there is something certainly to be said about far too many people holding Nietzsche "as the final word in philosophical science" too easily and by default.
>>
>>8601012
No, you ran when you needed to get away from a bear or the po-po. There's a social judgment against being a muscle man back then because the people who could lift a few hundred pounds were coal miners and other working/slave class people. Some recognised exercise as good, but it wasn't in the current sense of DYEL. Most people of education's response to DYEL would be, no I'm educated and can employ people to lift the heavy thing.

Byron caused a sensation for swimming, which previously pretty much nobody did if they had an indoor bathroom of any kind, including a metal tub in the kitchen. When he swam the Hellespont that was a major turn in the idea of fitness being okay for the upperclasses; they weren't impressed he swam the Hellespont which has vicious currents, they were impressed he did something out of the myth about Hero and Leander, and also that he went swimming at all. Then once Byron did it, it became so cool everyone wanted a swimming costume, even the Queen.

Even Nietzsche was a bit out there with daily walks, because most people attributed the health benefits to the air instead of the walking.
>>
>>8601112
>There would seem to be only one question for philosophy to resolve: what must I do?
Stopped reading there. I never realised how what a huge cuck Tolstoy was.
>>
File: implying.jpg (19KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
19KB, 480x319px
>>8601112

>There would seem to be only one question for philosophy to resolve: what must I do?
>>
>>8600666
>Is this book accessible?
i dont know
>>
>>8601112
>>8601117
to;dr
>he can't think, he can't write. there's no discernable talent.
>>
>>8600700
>Pre-requisites.

Is there a single book or piece of lit that doesn't have pre-requisites?
>>
So Tolstoy still actually beleived that humans were not animals and were somehow above other animals and plants and not subject to the same laws of nature?
>>
>>8603831
Do you actually believe there is such a thing as animals and nature?
>>
>>8601117
>Giving a shit what anyone before the 1970's thought about Nietzsche
Not even once.

>>8603038
Most of them. I hate this boards obsession with reading order charts. The only good thing to come of it was the Harry Potter chart.
>>
>>8604067

Yes and humans are one of those species of animald that exists in nature.
>>
>>8600666
yeah it's pretty accessible
i mean it's right here on my bookcase
>>
Available on amazon
>>
File: hej.jpg (260KB, 771x1291px) Image search: [Google]
hej.jpg
260KB, 771x1291px
>>8600989
False.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.