[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best edition of War and Peace?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

What edition do you own?
>>
P&V for Russian translations.
>>
i have three: maudes, p & v, and rosemary edmonds
rosemary edmonds is my favourite
>>
File: 1459801728273.jpg (7KB, 244x244px) Image search: [Google]
1459801728273.jpg
7KB, 244x244px
>>8599629
>>8599633
>P&V

end your life
>>
>>8599710
dumb dogposter
>>
>>8599317
buy the cool looking 3 volume everyman's edition, it's got the maude translation which was personally approved by tolsboi himself.
>>
File: 51Xysa5aqqL.jpg (33KB, 312x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Xysa5aqqL.jpg
33KB, 312x500px
The godly Modern Library Constance Garnett version
>>
>>8599727
I have the same and it's excellent. Also Maude for all of Tolstoy.
>>
>>8599781
What do modern Library books look like IRL?

Anyone got a pic?
>>
>>8599831

I have a lot at home but no pics.
But they look like the pic.

The actual thing about modern library that's nice is that their paperbacks are those floppy types of paperbacks that lay limp in your hand and feel so nice and are easy to keep open.
>>
>>8599720
*doggoposter
>>
Gary Saul Morson, in his takedown of P&V, praises Garnett, but says Ann Dunnigan's translation surpassed her.
>>
>>8599629
No.

>>8599317
Briggs is great
>>
I'm a pleb trying to get into reading. I've gone through a bunch of fedoracore meme books like Hellbound Heart, American Psycho, 1984, Infinite Jest, The Long Walk, Moby Dick, is War and Peace an actual patrician book or is it like the others I listed?
>>
>>8599629
penis + vagina ??
>>
>>8600580

Don't read it yet. Its too long for someone newish to reading.

You're gonna find a lot of interesting books to read, so go with shorter stuff.

If you haven't read Dostoevsky, read his stuff next. TBK and Crime and Punishment are must reads.
>>
>>8600603
Just ordered the two you mentioned. Is War and Peace difficult to read / understand or is it solely the length you're warning me about, because the length doesn't bother me.
>>
>>8600474
t. penguin classics collector
>>
>>8599317
Maude's. Wordsworth Classics
>>
>>8600615

Tolstoy in general is very easy to read, but War and Peace is extremely long.
>>
This edition is pretty good
>>
>>8600966
no I chose briggs because his translation is good
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.