[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Order of reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161008_110613.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_110613.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Hi /lit/, I picked these up for a tenner from a second hand book shop.

Which is the best order to read them in? Which books would you recommend I add to these? I'm generally interested in the classical world but all I've read from the period is meditations so far.
>>
>>8596452
Herodotus
Thucydides
The Republic
The last days
>>
>>8596461
Thanks anon.

I'm going to pick up the Illiad as well, where should I slot that in?
>>
>>8596466
Do the Illiad and Odyssey first, they are basically the foundation of Greek education and learning.

Ifyou like Herodotus and Thucydides just go with the canon, from Greek to Roman historians and orators. If you like the philosophy than you should do the same, starting from books about the Presocratics (mostly preserved fragments) to Aristotle/Plato/Socrates and then on to the Romans. Secondary literature highly recommended to not fall into the >muh evil Sophists meme

Honorable mentions:
Xenophon
Polybius
Plutarch
Ceaser (yes the man himself)
Sallust
Tacitus
Heraclitus
Secena
Epicurus
Epictetus

My view of ancient philosophy was drastically changed by a very old, but very good book, but it would really be only useful when you are familiar with the whole canon.

Friedrich Albert von Lange - Geschichte des Materialismus und Kritik seiner Bedeutung in der Gegenwart (History of Materialism)
>>
What a boring thread, I don't care at all what order you read your shitty books, do what you want, go read a little instead of coming to /lit/ all of the time. Idiot.
>>
>>8596471
Thanks a lot anon, I'll look into all of them.

>>8596473
Cared enough to reply :^)
>>
>>8596492
Wow you're a smart dude huh
>>
>>8596496
I get by anon. I have my own business which lets me do the things I enjoy and I work towards my goals in different aspects of my life every day.

I'm not here to entertain you. I came here for advice. I offer my advice on the boards where I have experience and learning and I came here to receive the same.

Maybe one day you can be happy too
>>
>>8596558
And maybe you can get off /lit/ and come back when you've actually read at least a few of those books?
>>
>>8596452
Hero -> Thucy -> last days of plato -> republic
>>
>>8596461
>republic before last days

literally why

OP read the last days before Republic; the four dialogues which make up the former text will act as a sort of warmup to Platonic ideals and dialogue style. Republic is readable at any point, but I would definitely not recommend starting with it if you're already planning on reading other Plato.

But I agree with that anon about starting with Herodotus and then Thucydides.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.