[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does lit think of Gene Wolfe? I just read The Fifth Head

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Wolfey.jpg (32KB, 329x499px) Image search: [Google]
Wolfey.jpg
32KB, 329x499px
What does lit think of Gene Wolfe? I just read The Fifth Head of Cerberus and it's incredible how good it is.
>>
Personally he convinced me it's still possible to write literary SFF. The Book of the New Sun and Latro in the Mist are the only two I've read from him, but I thought they were phenomenal. I'm keen to try Peace, how is it in regards to his other work?
>>
>>8595599

Okay, here's what you need to know about Peace: it's essentially a book that pretends to be another book. It seems like it's just a grumpy old man remembering his life growing up in the midwest with some fairytales thrown in, but if you're paying attention something...happens in the midway section that means that essentially you're being lied to.

This book is the best example of the unreliable narrator ever.
>>
>>8595589
There are two posters that have convinced themselves that he isnt just competent fantasy, which of course is all he is.

It speaks more to the paucity of half decent fantasy novels more than any real criticism to Mr. Wolfe
>>
>>8595611

I'm also a fan of John Crowley. Does that make me cool?

But really anon what would you suggest? I am interested.
>>
>>8595616
All I'm saying is that I see some posters put him up there with Nabakov and Roth and that is sillyness. For genre-literary crossover excellence I would say Warlock by Oakley Hall and Solaris and His Master's Voice by Lem. I also appreciate Howard in that his pulp is at least honest, and makes no pretensions towards something it isnt.
>>
>>8595629

Hall and Lem are great. Have you read Peake by chance?
>>
>>8595633
No but I would consider reading Titus Groans, it looks good.
>>
>>8595640

It's very good. It's essentially the book equivalent of the halfway point between melancholy and hilarity, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>8595605
I've read it. Please spoiler tag would you think "happens".
>>
>>8595645

is there anything else as 'cinematographic' as titus groan? the latter two books are less visual, though they have their spots
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.