[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/fag here. How do I quit video games/mindlessly refreshing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 21

File: 1474850813474.jpg (194KB, 1440x1059px) Image search: [Google]
1474850813474.jpg
194KB, 1440x1059px
/v/fag here. How do I quit video games/mindlessly refreshing /v/ and actually START reading and read consistently?
>>
>>8595128

Read a book, nigger.
>>
>>8595128
day 1 goal: read one page
day 2 goal: read two pages
day 3 goal: read three pages
etc.

You can read more than your goal on a given day, but you have to at least reach your goal

When you plateau, drop back 10 - 15 pages and start over

I a couple months you'll be reading a shitload
>>
>>8595145
I should add that this is assuming you don't plateau before 10 pages. If you do that, you're a scrub and should go back to v games
>>
>>8595152
>>8595131
Do you guys play video games? I don't want to be in my 20s and be playing autismo manchild games. I'm 18 btw.
>>
>>8595128
>not enjoying literature and games
>>
Try to play a /lit/-tier game first, such as Morrowind or Torment first. If you manage to comprenhend these works in their entirety, you are good to read any book.
>>
Just thinking about how much you want to read for a prolonged time and drink massive amounts of coffee while doing so. You'll eventually do it.
>>
>>8595167
Huh? I've been playing Morrowind this past few days, lol. Funny you mention it.
>>
>>8595154
i still play every now and then, but not like i used to. but then again i'm on 4chan on a friday night...
>>
>>8595154

No. I'm not a manchild. Stop wasting your life playing children's games and seriously start reading actual literature. It's better for you.
>>
>>8595171
Hilarious how he mentioned one of the most popular games of all time and you happened to be playing it lol!
>>
>>8595128
she is literally so beautiful
>>
File: Kid_Icarus_NES_box_art.png (99KB, 250x353px) Image search: [Google]
Kid_Icarus_NES_box_art.png
99KB, 250x353px
start with the greeks
>>
>>8595180
I have a hand fetish, and those pale, dainty fingers of hers gets my dick hard.
>>
>>8595168
Is Starbucks a bad place to read? Should I go to a different local cafe?
>>
>>8595154
rarely. I don't have the attention span for videogames, oddly enough.

start reading genre fic pleb shit so your brain can get acclimated to the activity of sitting and chewing through pages of words. read before bed. read short stories to get used to reading things to completion.
>>
>>8595206
>reading in public
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>>8595210
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>8595225
Why would you read in public unless you couldn't read at your house or in a quiet library?
>>
>>8595229
I thought cafes were generally quiet? Am I missing something here?
>>
>>8595236
1. Why don't you just read at home?
2. When have cafes ever been quiet? It's a public store where people buy stuff, drink/eat, and talk. Even if you found a cafe that was for some reason quiet, it would still be visually distracting.

Just read at home you fucking faggot. No one is going to be impressed to see you pull out 1984 in public
>>
>>8595244
>pull out 1984 in public
Ok, I get your point but who the fuck does that lol.
>>
File: 1472762217790.jpg (40KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1472762217790.jpg
40KB, 540x540px
>>8595244
I actually, for the first time, read in a Starbucks last week and it was cozy as fuck. There was only one other dude and he was just fapping to his MacBook or whatever the fuck in his corner, the music was hushed, the lighting was right, had my hotter than fuck coffee. Shit was comf. ima do it again.
>>
>>8595158
/thread

>b-but i can't enjoy these things i'm in my 20s :((

Sounds like you're spooked, OP.
>>
>>8595265
reading literature is not supposed to be """cozy""" or """comfy""" you insufferable fag.
>>
just fucking do it you retard, it's not like there is a secret
>>
>>8595154

Yes but only because I'm aware they're a drug for when reading can't make me happy after a bad day. Or if I've just done a lot of heavy thinking for a midterm or something along those lines, I'll splurge for 2 whole days in celebration and then have an insatiable urge to be productive again.
>>
>>8595282
I don't give a fuck what you think literature is supposed to be you fuckin birth defect.
If you got such a problem with it you can catch me at your local coffee shop reading comfortably
>>
>>8595289
I'll be too busy reading at home because I'm not a narcissist who needs to aestheticize my hobby into some stupid comfy meme
>>
>>8595284
Fuck you, you product of rape-incest.
>>
>he posted it again
>>
>>8595291
not everything you do needs to be a statement, teen.
If you stop for a coffee and you have your book on you, nobody's gonna come flying out of the woodwork and call you a hipster for reading while you're there. It's a completely normal thing to do, the atmosphere is made specifically for that.
>>
>>8595324
>reading """atmosphere"""
comfyfags need to die
and no it wasn't specifically made for that, it was specifically made for people to drink coffee and talk you fuckwit, it's a cafe
>>
File: 1365475090228[1].jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228[1].jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
Hey anon, former /v/irgin here. I'll be nice to you.

/lit/ is a great place to find REALLY incredible books. But sadly post quality has taken a nosedive this year. This can be confusing for someone who genuinely wants to get into reading but is getting berated by lurking redditors and John-Green-thread-starters.

Read the books on this chart. You may be thinking that it looks like your high school reading list because it probably does. But these are some of the best classics to get started with that won't slap you around with the advanced level concepts that discourage most beginners.

My recommendation to you is that you get a decent list of books you're interested in and then go read them. /lit/ is most likely only going to put you down until you can hold your own in discussion. Vidya is fun to play but it's important to be well-rounded. For instance, I try to play through 2 games and then read 2 books.

Protips: treat your progress in a book like you would your progress in a game. Sometimes you're going to have to just keep pushing to get through. That's natural. Oh and the best literature is more about the prose and themes and less about the plot. Compare something like Demon's Souls to The Last of Us and you'll maybe get my gist. Kindle Paperwhite + calibre + libgen = unlimited free books. Paperwhite has great features for a beginner too.

Hope you enjoy!
>>
>>8595324

sound like a faggot to me, to be honest.

Most reading should be done alone.
>>
>>8595333
>Compare something like Demon's Souls to The Last of Us
Are you implying TLOU is anything but vastly inferior to Demon's Souls?
>>
>>8595154
You grow out of it.

If you have goals to accomplish playing vidya isn't alluring. Games are just a way of escaping reality.

Also, when you stop playing every day/week/month, you enjoy it a lot more when you actually do get on.
>>
>>8595333
This guy know whats going on, listen to them,
>>
>>8595343
Oops maybe I wasn't clear enough. Demon's Souls is to The Last of Us as Paradise Lost is to Harry Potter.
>>
>>8595350
>If you have goals to accomplish playing vidya isn't alluring
>using art as a means to get to a goal instead of something worth pursuing in itself
nice one you disgusting philistine
i bet you read because it increases vocabulary and looks good to women, right?
>>
File: 1474247948399.jpg (2MB, 3264x4912px) Image search: [Google]
1474247948399.jpg
2MB, 3264x4912px
>>8595333
One last thing I want to add: I play through 2 games and then read through 2 books for a specific reason. At the start of last year I made a huge backlog for myself. Once I play through all the video games that I've always meant to play I'm going to sell all my consoles and accounts and stuff and be done with video games for good. I'm a mega autist though so draw your own conclusions. Also check them trips
>>
>>8595154
33. play a bit every day, but I try to read more. total war games, 4x, paradox stuff, like that.

Once you get old you run out of people to judge you, so just do what you enjoy.
>>
File: 1470618990037.gif (2MB, 254x196px) Image search: [Google]
1470618990037.gif
2MB, 254x196px
>>8595356
lol wtf are you on about?
I am talking about vidya in general to him.
Atleast he will understand what I meant even if autistic fucks like you don't.
>>
>>8595333
>>8595367
How old are you now and how old were you when you started getting /lit/?
>>
>>8595452
I'm 22 and discovered /lit/ only two years ago so I was 20. That's why I made my final vidya list because I was enthralled by the stuff posted on here and absolutely devoured The Hobbit, Great Gatsby, and A Clockwork Orange. Age doesn't really matter so long as you're actively bettering your reading skills. I'll probably be 24 by the time that I'm done with video games.
>>
>>8595494
What kind of video game list? I don't get it.

Also what's it like being in your 20s? My older sis is 28 and I'm so jealous of her. She's pretty, skinny, and /lit/.
>>
>>8595522
The list I made has all the video games I want to play before I quit for good. Finish a game, mark it off the list. Making it helped me focus on learning self-control and to shift my focus to reading. It's worked wonders for me.

Being in your 20's is either horrible or wonderful. You can make a lot of stupid mistakes early on and ruin your life forever. OR you can realize that you are free to make your life what you want and start down the path of fulfillment.
>>
>>8595154
Sometimes.
As a poorfag, I'm very limited in which games I can play, where as with books I can just go to the library for free
>>
>>8595522
>what's it like being in your 20s
i'm 25.
I don't feel as though much has changed, but at the same time when I look back at my teen years I was emotionally spastic, mentally inept, and edgy as fuck compared to who I am today. I guess it's too slow a transition to really measure. You get better at life, but it doesn't necessarily get easier. you just freak out less. When you're a teenager you're feeling everything for the first time so everything is a big deal. Then after a while you feel like a veteran boxer, shrugging off blows that used to floor you.
Also I understand things much more clearly. Its literally like I pulled my head out of my ass.
Emotions become more multidimensional and some get sharper. Depression gets worse. Melancholy is cute when you're a teen but that shit grows teeth and it's not fun anymore.
20's is objectively better than teenage years though, that shit was a fucking circus.
>>
I didn't stop playing video games until I was 21. I started getting serious about literature just before that. For that entire year, video games had lost their appeal, whereas before, I would have adamantly fought people who claimed video games are a waste of time by telling them: "video games have merit! They do, they do!" Of course in public I'd keep my love to a minimum, maybe because I was ashamed.

Now I haven't played video games for a while, whereas before I would get home, get on a voice server, and spend my entire day browsing the internet, talking to online friends elsewhere, and slogging through competitive games and single-player games where my mind often wandered, wondering what else I could be doing with my time.

If you count Greek tragedies and separate works of Plato, I've read 70 books this year (along with The Bible, IJ (re-read), Brothers K, C&P, Grapes of Wrath, Moby Dick, Mrs. Dalloway, and many more). I am changed, anon. Literature, socializing, and a field you love is so much more rewarding, man.
>>
>>8596032
This reads like a pasta.
>>
>>8595128
You can start by mindlessly refreshing /lit/ and gaining an interest in literature.
>>
>>8595167
>playing morrowind is all you need to understand finnegans wake
>>
File: 1452656495302.jpg (125KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1452656495302.jpg
125KB, 1024x768px
>>8595288
>playing video games mindlessly
You need to into puzzle games
>>
>>8596047
is that good or bad? fuck, maybe after kicking video games I need to kick 4chan.
>>
>>8595333
No high school will ever have a PKD book on its reading list, though
>>
>>8595184
underrated
>>
Happened to me naturally. Somewhere between 22-23 I stopped having any interest in vidya, which was ironic and sad considering that I had bought a gaymen PC few years prior.
Also, you need to FORCE yourself to read. Despite what pretentious cucks on /lit/ will tell you, reading as a process is not enjoyable. Reading is you staring at letters for hours, it's shit. Joy is what you get out of reading. So, for the first 3-4 months you need to tear yourself away from the computer and slap yourself into reading for 2-3 hours daily, after that it becomes a habit.
>>
>>8596093
Will reading ever be enjoyable after that 3-4 month time frame?
>>
>>8596076
Good luck man, I'm not sure I can anymore
>>
>>8596097
I told you, reading isn't enjoyable in itself. But it becomes effortless, allowing you to enjoy what you read much easier
>>
>>8595265

>tfw every time I go to a coffeeshop to read I'm the only one there reading and everyone else is either chatting or on laptops
>>
>>8596097
Most definitely. Along the lines of what that anon said, I would mix in something that you enjoy, while challenging yourself with harder works. I wouldn't go overboard with a lot of genre fiction, but sneak in some Steinbeck or some Watership Down to ease you into the Greeks and the rest.
>>
File: 1475852903493.jpg (58KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
1475852903493.jpg
58KB, 463x325px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>8595128
i had this same problem after high school, i hadnt read a book in few years. then this year i decided i wanted to start reading again. a big problem i had earlier this year was whenever i started reading id get 4 pages in and pass out. like clockwork, never failed. it was a struggle but eventually i got past it but it was hard work. struggling to keep my eyes open and the page. now though i just lose myself in the novel. theres no way around reading, you just gotta sit down and do it for hours on end to. you gotta force yourself to read untill you arent forcing yourself anymore. theres a tipping point. for me anyways. and stay the fuck away from 4chan, the tv and video games. if youre thinking
>oh ive read 2 chapters i can reward myself with 2 episodes of whatever
dont. keep fucking reading until you need to sleep or have a class or something you cant miss.
>>8596183
>buy physical copies
i agree. once i buy a book i NEED to read it. gotta get my moneys worth even though its a sunk cost right? if you feel this way its just another thing thatll help you get through a book.
>>
>>8595128
Read the harry potter series if you haven't already. That shit can keep anyone of any age interested for a start.
>>
>>8596183
what a memester
>>
>>8596355
>stay the fuck away from 4chan,
is this even possible? i spend most of my time here

it's not really video games that's holding me back. it's fucking 4chan and the constant refreshing

otherwise i'd be reading all day
>>
>>8595145
Never heard of that one before. sounds pretty good actually
>>
>>8595128
>/v/fag here. How do I quit video games/mindlessly refreshing /v/ and actually START reading and read consistently?

As with all things, you just do it.
>>
Start with audiobooks. If you're a wageslave like me, use them during the commute to work, if not - go for a walk/jog/to a gym. Basically any place where you are physically separated from your computer.
You'll quickly come to realise that the satisfaction from reading (listening) a good story far outweighs shooting pixels in the latest Cawadooty
>>
Start reading and read consistently
>>
File: WMPdJ6tEDkc.jpg (79KB, 675x830px) Image search: [Google]
WMPdJ6tEDkc.jpg
79KB, 675x830px
Just start. That's about it.

Do not read shit you're not interested in, especially in the beginning.

Do not fall for the "start with greeks"/"YA are pleb shit" memes, read whatever you like -- it's about getting into, not about writing a dissertation on Greek shitposting offhand.

There's also nothing wrong with playing videogames. Do not quit immediately if you're still enjoying it.

People are probably going to give me shit for this sick opinions, patrician meme was a mistake anyway.
>>
>>8596896
Gaming is anathema to literature. No gamer has ever read a book without pharmaceutical assistance. Thats science, and you can't argue with science.
>>
>>8596896
although i completely agree with you. i for one love the patrician meme. i miss the days where we called out disgusting plebs on 4chan and thus keeping away the newfags from our circle jerk. now /lit/ is full of /r9k/ and /mu/ and /tv/ is full of reddit.

we can still make it. by calling out plebshit.
>>
>>8596938
I loved the patrician meme too. It probably made me take on literature and video games I never would've touched otherwise.
>>
>>8596958
what are some patrician / /lit/ video games to play?
>>
>>8596908
But I like video games even though I spend most of my time reading.
>>
>>8597010
If you want patrician video games, pretty much anything Matthewmatosis likes. Dustforce, Spacechem, also Devil Daggers. As far as /lit/ video games go, I guess your only option would be text-based games like Zork. If by /lit/ you just mean the writing is really good, then Primordia is what you want.
>>
>>8597129
Does Final Fantasy and Morrowind count as /lit/?
>>
File: pepe.jpg (25KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
25KB, 463x325px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>8597147
ebin
>>
>>8595996
great post
>>
>>8597134
No.
>>
>>8597134
try some CoC
>>
>>8595145
What if I only read in my free time and am usually too busy to even do the smallest of hobbies (including vidya) on an average day?
>>
>>8595154
If I do play it's usually for an hour or so.
>>
>tfw when I was younger I had to force myself to read while I could play video games all day
>now I have to force myself to play video games despite being able to read all day

did I make it?
>>
>>8595154
22 nearly 23, and yeah. It's a hobby in the same way that I also play football and read. If you grow out of it, great! If not, then as long as it remains a hobby and doesn't make you a NEET/dominate your life, no one worth half a shit will care about how you spend your time (yourself included).

tl;dr don't worry about it lol
>>
>>8595291
The sad truth here is that most people don't care about reading in public at all - I can tell youI don't, I'll even read as I walk if I'm finishing a chapter and my bus ride ends - and you're the one who seems a little too self absorbed by caring about this at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 523x227px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 523x227px
>>8595128

Take some acid or mushrooms and spend the trip thinking about how much of your life you have already wasted on vidya and how it would be much more rewarding to read instead.

Also, when you want to read it helps to set a timer on your phone so it rings in an hour or two and then it's easier to just force yourself to read until it rings.
>>
>>8596093
>Despite what pretentious cucks on /lit/ will tell you, reading as a process is not enjoyable. Reading is you staring at letters for hours, it's shit.
What the hell is this? Reading is you enjoying a story for a while. It's really fun. If your immersion is constantly ruined and you feel how you're just staring at letters you need to stop reading boring tomes you read to look intellectual and start reading books you actually enjoy.
>>
>>8597443
>Take some acid or mushrooms and spend the trip thinking about how much of your life you have already wasted on vidya
Suicide may or may not follow.
>>
>>8597447

Not if he does as I suggested by also thinking about how to change for the better. It's silly that someone who let much of their teens or early 20's slip away playing vidya would commit suicide because of it when they still have another 40-60 years to read and do other cool stuff.
>>
>>8595206
Make sure to bring your Mac laptop with you
>>
>>8595128
Just start fucking reading you dumb waste of life
>>
File: 1469672596581.png (379KB, 793x571px) Image search: [Google]
1469672596581.png
379KB, 793x571px
>>8597468
This. When you made this thread you thought about how you wanted to read but instead of just reading, you decided to make this retarded thread. You know damn well the answer is to just start reading but you instead decided to keep procrastinating and make a thread to make you feel like you actually made some forward progress in "picking up reading" but all you did was refresh a different board on 4chan than you usually do. Dumb, worthless, procrastinating trash. You like the idea of being someone who reads but you're too lazy and stupid to just read.
>>
>>8596384
If you're trying to kick a bad habit you have to replace it with something else that an fill your time
>>
>>8596896
This, don't be afraid to drop books that are recommended by /lit/
>>
File: aviddreader.png (302KB, 1724x731px) Image search: [Google]
aviddreader.png
302KB, 1724x731px
>>8595128
>>
>>8597405

...are you me?

I just get frustrated, even if I enjoy a game

playing tenchu: stealth assasin and quest 64 right now.

what games are you playing, e/lit/es?
>>
>>8595154
Everything in moderation.A little bit every week.
Games just don't hold my attention anymore,so I don't play as much as I used to.
>>
>>8596076
>Kick 4 chan
Here fore ever and so on and so on
>>
Instead of browsing the internet on your phone in your spare time, read a book instead. Books are great filler for all the extra minutes that pile up between the events in your life.

And sometimes, dedicate an hour or two near the end of the night or on the weekend to read in bed.

I haven't really read a book in years and I just read Hamlet over the course of a week (granted, it's not long). It's easily one of the most enriching things I've done in a long time.
>>
>>8595167
>Skyrim is basically Beowulf
>>
>>8595154
Of course.

It would take an idiot to not understand the value of games.

But I read more than I play, and I play a lot more than I watch or listen.
>>
>>8595128
I want to fuck that Crimean slut
>>
File: 1467228066077.jpg (76KB, 349x356px) Image search: [Google]
1467228066077.jpg
76KB, 349x356px
>>8597605
>It would take an idiot to not understand the value of games.
t. deep in denial
>>
>>8597605
what value? i play a lot but thinking videogames have any value is very reddit
>>
>>8595128

do you work, do you go to college?
I read in the train-bus-subway
>>
>>8598209
Freshman college student with too much time on his hands. No I don't have a job. I just sleep and study and fuck around on the Internet. My grades are great.
>>
>>8598251

It's only October. Wait until finals, or until you take some real classes.
>>
>>8595291
Yet here you are
>>
>>8595154
I think the same rule applies with anything in life:

What is your goal and will it help/hurt it?

You can play video games and still be a successful adult.

There are no hard and fast rules about being a well-rounded individual, and if there were you definitely wouldn't find them on some waponese board filled with pretentious douchers.

Just fucking figure out what you want in life and do it retard.
>>
>>8598283
Fuck you cunt. Just because you're a retarded former premed student who got rejected from all MD schools and even DO schools doesn't mean I'll do as poorly as you, fuck boy. Literally eat shit,
>>
>>8598308
The jimmies have been russled
>>
>>8598308
at least you're happy
>>
>>8598340
Thx babe
>>
>>8595154

I do. Don't listen to the pretentious faggots acting smug about not playing games - if it's not their thing that's cool, but it's pretty sad when they shit on others for it to feel better about themselves. It's no different than wasting your time reading shlocky fiction, watching movies or basically any other leisure activity.
Playing games isn't really investing in yourself, it's usually not productive and generally won't teach you much, but it's fun and sometimes that's what you need. Balance things you enjoy with things that improve you.

I guarantee you that people on this board have read shitty, worthless books that contributed nothing to their knowledge or wellbeing, but they'll still pretend they didn't waste their time and look down their nose at you for playing videogames.
>>
>>8598360
Oh reddit, you just never learn do you? how cute
>>
>>8596417
you can use the same principle for writing too-- at least for writing a first draft

Pick a word count that sounds easily achievable. Could be 1000 words a day, could be 500.

Then cut that number in half.

Progress by 50 words per day

e.g.:

Day 1: 250 words
Day 2: 300
Day 3: 350

at that rate you'd be at 2K words per day in a little over a month. After you fail to meet you daily goal, drop back a few hundred pages

And remember, you can write more than your daily goal, you just don't have to. The trick is to start with a very low goal and don't try to progress too fast.
>>
>>8599268
*drop back a few hundred words
>>
>>8595167
play fucking MGS 2 pleb
>>
I only really play smaller, niche games these days. Games that don't require too much energy. For the better part of my adolescence, the number of friends I had decreased. So that probably attributed to my decline in interest, because I didn't really have anyone to share moments with. I was also socially retarded, so I couldn't even make friends online. If I got over depression I'd probably meet people to play with through college or work, but that depends on where I'll be next year or where I'm going. Sometimes I crave that nostalgic camaraderie I had as a kid, and how much of it I lost growing up. And for the minimal amount of games I play, I feel compelled to join /v/ threads during E3 or GDQ. The sociality of it makes me feel whole for how disconnected I am.
>>
>>8595128
>How do I quit video games

Sell you video game consoles and grow up finally.

>but

Then don't read and fuck off.

Assuming you want to seriously read, I always just make myself go to bed an hour earlier than I need to. That always gives me time. Other suggestions in this thread have been good too.
>>
>>8597444
No, you fucking shit, reading is jacking off to some quality prose or enjoying a character musing about being a depressed sack of shit. Stories are good only insofar as they push the prose train along
>>
>>8596183
>-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.
This always pissed me off about this pasta. I have enough disposable income that the floor to my bedroom is literally half-occupied by stacks of books at least 4 books high. Some of these are also in monster Amazon boxes, including fucking Bottom's Dream
>>
>>8597561
>what games are you playing, e/lit/es?
I started playing Pokemon Black some months ago, having not touched the series since before that one came out. Shit was too fun, so I bought Y, which was a significant downstep. I was too ashamed to get back into /lit/ so I just read manga until I finally got 'round to finishing Pokemon Y, then bought too many more 3DS games I will never touch (including having like 6 games still plastic-wrapped). New Hatsune Miku game has fun songs, but RNG bullshit prevents me from playing too much, and Steins;Gate is good ol' goofy fun, but I'd rather read something that's actually well-written, so now I've stopped playing vidya for a moment
>>
>>8595154
Caring about how others will perceive your hobbies is pretty austismo in itself.
>>
>>8595154
I do, but only occasionally now, where in my teens i played them all the time. I just don't find them as interesting. Phasing them out happened naturally, i didn't do it because it's a 'manchilds' hobby or whatever.
>>
>>8595177
Not the anon you replied to but you must be really fun at parties. Oh wait that's right, you have no social skills.
>>
>>8595128
1. buy a kindle
2. pirate the shit out of some books / download amazon frees
3. read a chapter in bed before sleeping
4. ???
5. Profit!
>>
Books aren't inherently deeper than games. You have to put the work in yourself. There are people who think much more deeply about games than than, say, the sort of people who read books just to say they or to put them on a shelf in their living room.

You can just do both; both are fine. Just be sure to read and play deeply, rather than widely or quickly.
>>
Depends. Do you actually fucking care about reading? Because let me tell you something... I don't think I do. I've been going to uni for a few weeks now and it's really setting in, especially in reflection of my CC years, that I really don't like reading. Everything is technology for me, now; video games, online card game clients, Netflix, YouTube, 4chan. The paradigm has shifted for me. The only things I like reading are those things I am required to read which are put into immediate perspective by my professors. Don't fool yourself--you don't need to read to be smart. Especially, don't be fooled by this board. Peace out, and prepare for the shitstorm.
>>
>>8597397
>too busy
>>
>>8599714
>you don't need to read to be smart

True but if you're interested in being smart/intelligent and NOT read, you're retarded.
>>
>>8599668
Caring about your social image is complete opposite of autismo, its called being a responsible grown-up. All people do that. Why do you think 4chin posters with embarrassing hobbies like anime or vidya constantly talk about 'hiding their powerlevels'. They may act smug about it, but they still realise that society looks down on adults who spend their doing shit designed for children
>>
>>8599714
I could respect your opinion, but
>video games, online card game clients, Netflix, YouTube, 4chan
>>
>>8599730
true. blending in is a skill in itself, but i suppose i meant something more along the lines of letting those perceptions affect how you live or your preferences or whatever, not doing things you like to affect some kind of image.
>>
File: CE_14.gif (3MB, 268x301px) Image search: [Google]
CE_14.gif
3MB, 268x301px
>>8599714
>taking pride in your hedonism
>>
>>8596183
>had to go this far down the thread for this to be posted

/lit/ has truly gone to shit
>>
>>8599729
That's not a very good argument for countless reasons. What if you're a mathematician? All you learn are formulas and applications, maybe you read articles which link them to science, but can we really consider these people literature-minded? Your conception of intelligence seems too narrow.

I think that oftentimes it boils down to the appearance of smartness or intelligence, or some comfort we grant ourselves that because we read, we are smart or intelligent. Yet that's not substantive. That's just pseudo. I'm not insulting you, I just mean that I think it's not as black and white as /lit/ makes it out to be. A lot of times the rationales I see on this board seem to me analogs of people who insult anyone on any board over matters of taste. A lot of what we do really just comes down to aesthetics, personal avocations, and lifestyles. Especially when you start getting into philosophy. This shouldn't really be a field of prejudice, though. Yet of course, much of 4chan is founded on this nonsense.
>>
>>8599746
What's so bad about that? I don't have a goal in mind, I hate my major, I have no dreams for the future. I'm just living. I'm trying not to live in fear or anxiety that I could be missing out on some form of "greatness." Pretentiousness hardly ever yields good results. A lot of times it just kills you. Until I figure out all this shit, I'm just gonna keep doing me and working career jobs I'm not really interested in. I don't see this as being very remarkable or deviant in today's world.
>>
>>8599748
>What if you're a mathematician? All you learn are formulas and applications
Are you joking?
>>
>>8599751
See, this is the /lit/ I'm talking about. The kind that at the end of the day, for all the pages speed-read, still doesn't know how to comprehend what they read.
>>
>>8599748

Being literature-minded is different from READING. You said you don't need to READ to be intelligent.
>>
>>8599757
Lol... we can play the splitting-hairs game if you like. We're on a literature board, dude. I know you don't have a good argument. It's okay... go back to your Aurelius.
>>
>>8599756
Don't blame me if you can't formulate a correct argument for your claim. All the mathematicians I've had the pleasure to study under were more literature-minded than any modern hack of a writer. they don't think in formulas and numbers, buddy.
>>
>>8599764
>more literature-minded

How? Like more than your average person? I know we're all supposed to think Tao Lin is the epitome of postmodernity, but you might be surprised to find... that he's not. I feel like you're warping your own argument now, to try to react to the fact that you don't have one. I think the point anyone without an agenda and/or with a shred of reading comprehension could see is that you don't have to be literature-minded to be a math major. I welcome any counterarguments to this.
>>
>>8599769
does being a math major somehow make you less of a human being? I thought good literature dealt with universal questions experienced by people of many professions.
as you previously stated, there are different kinds of intelligence. being well-read makes you intelligent in living your life.
>>
>>8599807
No, and I never said that. I don't even disagree with your last points. I just mean that if we lord the reading of literature over the masses as being the metric of true intelligence, we fail to be understanding of those same people, and alienate ourselves from them. I guess what I'm getting at in the long run is that if OP doesn't feel like reading, he shouldn't force himself to. Yet like so many things on this board, semantics took over.
>>
>>8597592
Oh, that's gold dude. I love people who try to intellectualize the classic "for-plot" stories, like Beowulf, Gilgamesh, The Odyssey, and so on. If you want to read a "video game-y" work from that tradition which is actually historically relevant, try the Aeneid. But fucking Beowulf? That's just mythology. Mythology is definitely a video game-y realm of literature.
>>
Every morning that you wake up, you have a decision to make. A fight or flight response. Fight, being to get up, flight, being to hit snooze. You then have another fight or flight decision. Fight, being to turn your phone off and read, flight, being to mindlessly browse the endless stream of shit on 4chan and whatever feeds you indulge in.

The decisions you make in these two situations, will determine the rest of the day. Your brain is fed dopamine from hitting snooze, and being stimulated by the internet. This makes it lazy, craving more dopamine, and so you will perpetuate the cycle and end up playing vidya all day. It is your job, to resist the first two doses of dopamine in the day. The first thing you should do when you wake up is get up. Put your alarm out of arms reach. Force it. And then (after breakfast, shower etc.) you should read for 30-60mins, or as long as you want. You will be able to concentrate A LOT easier if you read first thing in the morning. This will set the tone for the rest of the day, and you will feel productive.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1468431447106.jpg (51KB, 688x726px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1468431447106.jpg
51KB, 688x726px
>>8595128
uninstall all games programs, close your steam account, box up all consoles and games and take them to an exchange shop. use this money to by a kindle and a few contemporary books that grab your curiosity. also, get some exercise, drink more water. become a person.
>>
File: 1458995920998.gif (1017KB, 229x188px) Image search: [Google]
1458995920998.gif
1017KB, 229x188px
>>8599237

epic ;^)
>>
>>8595128
Realize most modern games are shit, realize you've already played most good old games, and distract yourself with something else, such as learning an instrument. I used to be addicted to high-paced action games, and playing drums was just as satisfying, so I recommend trying drumming. It's more physically demanding, so when you get tired, I tried reading books, and that's how I got into literature.
>>
>>8599668
>Caring about how others will perceive your hobbies is pretty austismo in itself.
That's just human nature. But maybe you're right, the entire world is autistic except for you, and not the other way around.
>>
Anybody who shitposts on 4chan shouldn't be telling anybody to "grow up" or that they're wasting their time on a hobby. Glass houses, nigga.

Spending your time on /lit/ is about as well spent as playing games: read, it isn't. Not all your time has to be or will ever be well spent.
>>
>>8599929
Stop playing video games.
>>
File: 1468488144152.jpg (58KB, 714x512px) Image search: [Google]
1468488144152.jpg
58KB, 714x512px
>>8595184
8/8
>>
>>8595128
BY DOING IT.
>>
>>8596183
cant believe it tool so long for this
>>
>>8599809
I think the problem with what you're arguing is that many people, including people on this board, read for the sake of reading because they can receive instant gratification by themselves and by some others for spending time and energy dedicated to a dead art form. This person has no artistic investment or interest in the medium. It all really simplifies to weather you actually appreciate the art form or are interested to spend you're time with it, unattached from a mere egoist pursuit. I think the only reason mathematicians are likely to be well read more than say a plumber is because reading has stigmatised, but I'm not assuming plumbers cannot be well read, anyone can. It just depends if you actually appeal to sociality.
>>
>>8600305
*whether
>>
>>8600305
>This person has no artistic investment or interest in the medium.
Why is that the case for the majority of people on /lit/? Is it for validation?
>>
>>8600311
I never said majority. That's just how a lot of people approach literature.
>>
>>8600321
>majority
>a lot of people

Ok, but why do they approach it that way?
>>
>>8600324
A lot of people, not exclusively on /lit/.

People are driven by their egos.
>>
>>8595173
same use to play hours of league now I probably average .75 games a day, feel better video games hold no nourishment as compared to good /lit/
>>
File: 1470915190811.gif (3MB, 509x710px) Image search: [Google]
1470915190811.gif
3MB, 509x710px
>>8595333
cool thoughts, checked and you get a rare pepe.

no one else save it this pepe is for this anon only
>>
>>8595154
I'm in my late twenties and got back into video games.

Turns out life is shit and the best way to cope with it is to hole up in a little apartment and embrace all the escapism you possibly can.
>>
Don't play vidya OR read books. It's all apart of the spectacle. Instead you should dedicate your life to hard drugs, staring at blank walls, and emotionless sex.
>>
>>8595128
Stop cold turkey. I gave up video games back years ago when I was being distracted from finishing my MA thesis, and haven't missed that time-suck shit since. This site is my worst time drain vice now.
>>
>>8595154
I'm 24.
I play three or four videogames a year. Usually in summer or between semesters. I'm not particularly consitent with games, I don't play them for four or five months and then spend a whole week playing most of the time, this is often enough time to finish a couple of games.
>>
>>8600452
but my macbook struggles to run excel properly

>>8595154
once or twice a month or so, I don't have whole months to do nothing but play games and masturbate anymore

i suffer
>>
>>8597397

Then you make time and don't complain about not having time.
>>
>>8600939
it wants me to update excel but when I try to update it doesn't work
>>
>>8595128
You do you op, nothing wrong with playing games and reading.
>>
File: Snapchat-8869531799634914534.jpg (477KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8869531799634914534.jpg
477KB, 1080x1920px
>>8597909
thinking they have no value at all is very 4chan
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.