[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lacan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: hacklacan.jpg (24KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
hacklacan.jpg
24KB, 500x331px
QUICK YALL NIGGAS GOT THIRTY SECONDS TO EXPLAIN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE "PETIT OBJET A" AND THE "BIG OTHER" TO ME IN SIMPLE BUT NOT REDDIT-SIMPLE LANGUAGE.
>b-but he was a hack
YEAH I KNOW HE WAS A HACK BUT JUST DO IT ANYWAY

also lacan/ critical theory general I guess
>>
big Other refers to the individual's relationship in a symbolic order, connecting the real imagery and symbolic the "other, language"
object petite a is the unattainable object of desire, or partial object
>>
>>8592528

And their relationship to one another?
>>
>>8592528
Right, thanks a lot. But this relationship between them? How does the petit objet a reveal the big other (or am i getting this wrong)? I don't really get the Victor Hugo reference except as an example of metaphor and metonymy contradicting one another.
>>
>>8592531
>>8592536

they are both other
object petit a is the partial other object, every time you desire something it is petit objet a
when uncapitalized it is a projection of the ego, the O in Other means it is beyond, an other-ness beyond the imaginary other

in lacanian basically everything is viewed from the individual (ego, others, different people, are alter egos) but i suppose the inability to attain that which you desire breaks some kind of spell

language and speech is also Other
>>
>>8592552
>>
File: image.png (433KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
433KB, 640x480px
>>8592480
[Object petit a] is the stand in for [object a].
Base example:
Object a = desire for companionship.
Object petit a = your dog.

So, big other is the "symbolic order"
Lacan has 3 orders. The ideal, the symbolic, and the real.
The ideal is your personal conception of a thing.
The symbolic is the collective concept of a thing.
The real is unknowable (fallibilism).

Big Other is a kind of personification of the symbolic order.

How does object petit a relate to Big Other?
You have a personal concept of cat, but you cannot escape lolcats
>>
Why do people think Lacan is a hack, say, compared to any other psychoanalyst or continental philosopher.

I haven't read much Lacan, but from what I have read it all seemed very interesting.

Can someone explain to me in a way that I can understand, why is he a hack?
>>
How does one pronounce "Lacanian"?

Lak-owh-ee-an?
>>
>>8592588
So reality is unknowable for Lacan? And the real also the same as Kants thing in itself?
>>
>>8592654
Luh-kawn-ee-an
>>
>>8592664
>And the real also the same as Kants thing in itself?

I'm not the same anon, but From what I understand, Lacan's conception of the real is this: It's that which is unknowable in itself, the things themselves before we make sense of it from the symbolic order (we understand the real through symbols)
>>
>>8592673
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuG8ElyirC0
>>
>>8592641
It's not really about the content of his ideas, more about how, more than anyone else, Lacan threw himself full swing into the French obscurantist meme. Compare w/ Derrida, who uses difficulty in a way that actually contributes to his essays and makes sense in his philosophy. Lacan is obscure very superficially. Take the equations from "The Agency of the Letter in the Unconscious". He uses these equations to explain concepts of metonymy/metaphor, desire etc., but then in the very next line explains these concepts in plain English. Really, though i'm sure he would have been able to shit out some excuse, all the equations are saying is "Look at me, I have a big dick and I know a lot"; they're unnecessary (and a lot of the mathematical stuff Lacan uses is apparently bogus anyway, but I can't vouch for that; I don't do numbers f a m)
>>
>>8592793
See what you mean, but I think the one thing the equations bring is simply an analogical reasoning (term to term, in a proportion) rather than an essentialist one : the "objet petit a" has a meaning in relation with other things, and doesn't mean anything alone (as an "x" in an equation is defined by the other terms). From what I'm getting that was before anything else an attempt to stick to this question of analogy... I also prefer it to be written in plain French, and the mathème thing comes quite lately in his work anyway, so there's a good path to deal with even if one doesn't like these things
>>
What's a good essay for petit objet A stuff
>>
I found this blog extremely helpful with this stuff:
https://larvalsubjects.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/between-the-master-and-the-capitalist/
>>
>>8592932
This looks interesting
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.