[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Foreign Language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: CtsX9mwWEAA5lVY.jpg (132KB, 691x997px) Image search: [Google]
CtsX9mwWEAA5lVY.jpg
132KB, 691x997px
Anyone ever read books outside of English, think its possible to learn another language through reading a book?
>>
Yes, although you need to learn grammar and some vocab first.
>>
>>8592471
Ja. Lingua Latina per se illustratâ by Hans Orberg.
>>
File: supermarine.jpg (191KB, 640x608px) Image search: [Google]
supermarine.jpg
191KB, 640x608px
I lived in Europe for a while when I was a kid and all the movies were in English but with subtitles in the local language. Apparently this helped people with their English skills. This was about 15 years ago, the internet has probably sped up this process.

I watched Pearl Harbor in an outdoor movie theatre in Marmaris and my parents let me stay up til 1:00am after we got home because I was very pleased and excited with all the airplanes and violence. That was a strange time. I still like airplanes but I've developed better taste in movies you'll be glad to know.

tl;dr: Watch subtitled movies. That way you'll be able to guess a lot more from tone or context.
>>
>>8592497
>I lived in Europe for a while when I was a kid and all the movies were in English but with subtitles in the local language.
I've never seen that in any European country, where did you live?
>>
>>8592510
Scandinavia, most probably. It's common there.
>>
File: 25397053.jpg (80KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
25397053.jpg
80KB, 900x600px
>>8592510

I lived in Europe between 2000-2001. I spent the most time in France, Spain, and Turkey. I watched Billy Elliot (horrible) and Planet of the Apes (passable) in Spain. In addition to Pearl Harbor I saw Vertical Limit (another favorite) in Marmaris. I have to admit my memory is a bit fuzzy, the theater could have been in Izmir or maybe Bodrum. I did get fucked over when my parents bought me Age of Empires: The Conquerors because it was all in Spanish and there was no way to change the language. I don't know if you remember these but there was a fad for speaking toys called "Furbies." These little shits didn't speak a word of English. My friend's little brother got one of these as a present, and burst into tears because it couldn't speak Swedish or English, just Spanish.

Marmaris is the party town, right? I could hear music until three or four in the morning. Out of all the countries I stayed in Turkey was the best, although I think that might have to do with the fact that I was just used to traveling and living abroad by that time.
>>
>>8592471
No. most books that use other langues usually suck at even the basic pronunciation. you can learn by picking up a book made to teach that language
>Apparently this helped people with their English skills. This was about 15 years ago, the internet has probably sped up this process.
it helps but it does not replace education. 100s of anime fans who think they are experts in Japanese because they watch anime for 4 years , are the living proof
>>
>>8592565
>it helps but it does not replace education.
Learning on your own with a method that suits you is much better than taking classes. The internet is full of free resources for language learners, it's pretty easy as long as your target language is widely spoken.
>>
>>8592510
Dutch and Scandinavians subtitle everything and rarely dub. That's why their English is generally great.
>>
>>8592573
>Learning on your own with a method that suits you is much better than taking classes
That is how you end up with gaps in your knowledge
>>
>>8592583
Language class are a scam and I say that from experience. Learning little by little by yourself will give you 2 years of class progress in 2 months at most. The gaps are easy to fill when youve got a good understanding and a vocabulary. Not so much when you spend 3 years learning grammar without developping a working knowledge of the language.
>>
>>8592573
>Learning on your own with a method that suits you is much better than taking classes.

Anime is the worst resource for learning conversational/business Japanese. Most anime characters do not speak like human beings, and trying to strike up a conversation sounding like a Naruto lookin ass nigga is guaranteed to get you laughed out of the room.
>>
>>8592583
Can you be more precise? What do you mean by "gaps in your knowledge"?
>>
I can speak Russian but I live in London and dont know where to get russian lit so i stick with mostly english lit
>>
>>8592583
You fill the gaps by using the language. Reading, listening, watching, speaking, etc.

>>8592624
>anime is bad
>therefore the primary method should be classes
I'm not sure if you're intelligent enough to even grasp this but there is a massive gap in logic that you haven't explained yet.
>>
>>8592624
I learned my Japanese from anime when I was a stupid weeb teen and from Japanese movies when I was older, and I'm not fluent but I know enough to get by.
>>
File: notaword.png (522KB, 952x539px) Image search: [Google]
notaword.png
522KB, 952x539px
>>8592471
If I'm thinking of what I think you're saying, then no. You cannot learn a language exclusively through reading said language in literature.

Foreign literature should only be used to supplement your studies.
>>
>>8592471
>Anyone ever read books outside of English, think its possible to learn another language through reading a book?
I learned English by staring at Naruto subtitles for many many hours with japanese voices as a child. So year, I'd say that's feasible.
>>
>>8592624
It's not the best, but it's not the worst. I learned most of my Japanese from watching anime, well enough that I got a job over there and functioned properly for just over 4 years.

If you're retarded and just copying phrases and tones without actually thinking, sure you'll make a giant fool of yourself. But I'd think if someone was actually interested in learning the language, they'd be able to discern basic things like that.
>>
Anyone got a good source for the basics of Italian? Trying to read Le Città Invisibili side by side with a translation, but I can only understand a sentence if I first read the translation so I don't think it's really working.
It's beautiful though
>Ma la proprietá di questa é che chi vi arriva una sera di settembre, quando le giornate s'accorciano e le lampade multicolori s'accendono tutte insieme sulle porte delle friggitorie, e da una terrazza una voce di donna grida: uh!, viene da invidiare quelli che ora pensano d'aver già vissuto una sera uguale a questa e d'esser stati quella volta felici.
>>
>>8592510
The only films that are dubbed in Dutch are children's movies, I really don't get how e.g. Germans can stand their dubs. I just can't get over Tom Cruise or whomever speaking german lol.
>>
>>8592483
You don't have a long over the A you doofus, it's a nominative adjective modifying "lingua," not an ablative.
>>
File: IMG_8842.jpg (198KB, 855x878px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8842.jpg
198KB, 855x878px
Learning another languages using only books is hard. It's a harsh learning curve and you don't know how to pronounce the words, nor the rythm of the language.

I learned English by watching cartoons and playing video games as a child. The vidya was good because it allowed me to see and read short and simple texts while cartoons were great because voice actors have (mostly) perfect pronounciation and intonation, so you get used to hearing the language.
Books are the final step; you read to learn new and challenging words.

Tl;dr: Don't start with books
>>
>>8592471
I improve my english by reading poetry on its original language, so I think it does.
>>
>>8592471
the things i would do to all three...
>>
Was ist eine gute deutschen Bücher für einen Anfänger?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.