[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lits thoughts on this? Yeah sure its pseudo- philosophy but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: zencover2.jpg (2MB, 1224x1584px) Image search: [Google]
zencover2.jpg
2MB, 1224x1584px
Lits thoughts on this? Yeah sure its pseudo- philosophy but I think it helped a goddamn lot of people and was pretty accurate in its interpretation of zeitgeist.
>>
I appreciated it more for its portrayal of the narrator's/author's mental illness. Like you said, the philosophy is pretty pseudy, but it's an interesting way of getting the reader to sympathize with Phaedrus.

I like how desperately the narrator tries to present his philosophy in a sensible, detached way, as if he's struggling to hide his ego-mania.
>>
>>8591250
yes so true, its fucking interesting how even in his most stable chapters there are undertones of the facade slipping away
>>
>>8591166
>interpretation of zeitgeist

care to summarize?
>>
The travelogue/personal history parts are pretty comfy. The rest of it is a relatively unoriginal defense of Sophistry/Areté, except that Pirsig thought he was saying something new, and all his readers agreed (clearly, they all did *not* start with the Greeks). His portrayal of Richard McKeon isn't really fair either, but it's veiled enough to not be too much of a fault.

His later work 'Lila' is both better and more pseud all at once.
>>
File: image.jpg (235KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235KB, 1280x1656px
>>8591166
>uses zen in title to sell books
>>
>>8591461
sorry, dumb first year uni student generalisation: I think his interpretation of 60's countercultural aesthetic priorities v "ugly science" is v apt
>>
>>859169
im interested to read further on this, recommend pls ("sophistry/arete")
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.