[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pocket Paperbacks vs. Trade Paperbacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 13

File: Comparison.jpg (87KB, 568x300px) Image search: [Google]
Comparison.jpg
87KB, 568x300px
Just got done with a chat session with Amazon, after I deleted the seven books I was going to buy, once I discovered there is no way to choose between a large, heavy, floppy and difficult to physically hold onto and read trade paperback and the far more convenient pocket paperbacks, which fill my shelves.

They said they'd look into it...

As it stands, unless Amazon returns presenting a separate link for pocket paperback book versions, I won’t be able to order anything from them.
>>
>>8588998
Barnes and noble has specific distinctions for trade and mass market (smaller) paperbacks.
>>
They list the dimensions of every book.
>>
>>8589009
>Barnes and noble has specific distinctions for trade and mass market (smaller) paperbacks.

Am I just not seeing that options or if the below example, simply not avaliable in pocket/mass market paperback format?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/James+S.+A.+Corey+Leviathan+Wakes?_requestid=43903
>>
File: IMG_9673.jpg (461KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9673.jpg
461KB, 1600x1200px
>>8589017
>They list the dimensions of every book.

Amazon only lists the dimensions on the home page for that particular book (the one they're personally selling).

If you click on the "new" and "used" links below for other sellers, there is no information about what you're getting.

Amazon used to have separate categories for hardcover, ebooks, trade paperbacks AND pocket/mass market paperbacks.

Now they've just got one link for "paperbacks" and the customer is rolling the dice as to which version they'll get in the mail.
>>
Hmm, maybe you should stop being a prissy little wuss. Develop your pathetic forearm muscles so you don't shed tears of pain and exhaustion every time you have to hold up a book that weighs more than 4 ounces.
>>
>>8589023
I see what you mean. There's been a few times where I received a shitty version of the book. Amazon also combines the reviews for different editions of books when they hadn't before.
>>
File: trade_and_mass_market.jpg (120KB, 338x244px) Image search: [Google]
trade_and_mass_market.jpg
120KB, 338x244px
>>8589039

I’n not standing at a lectern, so I don’t want a huge Bible sized book, I’m kicked back on the couch or laying in bed holding it with one hand and a large floppy trade paperback is a pain in the ass to read.

But the point is Amazon USED to provide separate categories for trade paperbacks and mass market paperbacks and apparently no longer does, and that’s a stupid business practice.
>>
File: 5Th9Q.jpg (207KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
5Th9Q.jpg
207KB, 600x450px
>>8589040
>There's been a few times where I received a shitty version of the book.

Indeed, most of my books are mass market paperbacks but I've got several trade paperbacks that I ordered without checking which version I was getting.

Annoying as fuck, as not only are they a pain in the ass to hold, they don't fit on the book shelf with all the rest.
>>
File: americangods-coverjpg.jpg (71KB, 356x640px) Image search: [Google]
americangods-coverjpg.jpg
71KB, 356x640px
And then there are the odd-ball retard sized paperbacks.

I recently got Neil Gaiman’s “American Gods” (it’s ok) from William Marrow books and for some reason, it’s 7-1/2” tall instead of 6-3/4” like all the rest of my paperbacks... dicks.
>>
>>8589057
>Buying mass market editions.
>Buying small editions of any book.
>READING GENRE FICTION.
>>
File: book of armaments.jpg (19KB, 360x241px) Image search: [Google]
book of armaments.jpg
19KB, 360x241px
>>8589141
> needlessly lugging around a huge ass hardcover
>>
>>8588998
Strange. I've cancelled orders after realizing I accidentally purchased mass market paperbacks. They're way too small, and there's no room to write in the margins.
>>
>>8589157
>reading outside your home or studio

wagecuck detected.
>>
File: zFlMy2N.jpg (777KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
zFlMy2N.jpg
777KB, 1836x3264px
>>8589178
>Strange. I've cancelled orders after realizing I accidentally purchased mass market paperbacks.

There is no longer any option on Amazon to choose between trade paperbacks and mass market paperbacks, it's now just "paperbacks" and don't know which format you're getting until it arrives and if you're ordering a series of books, you may end up with some of one kind and some of the other.
>>
>>8589157
>Implying implications.

I don't read hardcovers.
>>
>>8589484
>I don't read hardcovers.
Do you never go to a library?
>>
File: 015.jpg (304KB, 1200x719px) Image search: [Google]
015.jpg
304KB, 1200x719px
The problem is A-format books, which you prefer, are printed on inferior paper and the glue is flimsy. They also crack along the spines more easily. You may like the size, but in all else the mass market paperback is inferior, just not as durable.

It is a nice format for genre books though (read once, rarely twice.)

The new Pocket Penguins from this year are in this format too.
>>
>>8589023
>If you click on the "new" and "used" links below for other sellers, there is no information about what you're getting.

You have to click on the individual seller and search the book again, then it will tell you the specific edition being sold. I do this every time and it always works.
>>
autism thread?
autism thread
>>
>>8589023
Just buy the Amazon ones if you're going to get seven books. Save on shipping.
>>
>>8588998
Trade paperbacks are superior: better binding, larger font, darker ink, better paper, and quality construction throughout. The larger page size reduces thickness and spine stress, so they take up less room on a bookshelf (since height isn't usually the issue, but width). They wear better, too: there's a reason they cost $10 more than MM. Mass market are so worthless that sellers don't even return unsold copies--it's not worth shipping. We just tear off the covers and mail those back for store credit, and the books go into recycling. Besides, trades aren't "large," unless you're trying to keep your book in your pants pocket or some weird thing like that, and why any adult would consider a trade to large to comfortably hold is beyond me.
>>
File: op is a retarded faggot.png (293KB, 1232x554px) Image search: [Google]
op is a retarded faggot.png
293KB, 1232x554px
>>8588998
>>8589051
>>8589464
Amazon has separate categories for hardcover, ebooks, trade paperbacks AND pocket/mass market paperbacks, you massive fucking retard. Pic related.
>>8589018
The deal here is that those books DO NOT have mass market paperback editions, stop complaining about shit you don't even research properly.
>>
File: IMG_2057.png (78KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2057.png
78KB, 750x1334px
>>8588998
Not sure what to tell you bud
>>
>>8589141
>he can't inflict blunt trauma will all his books
Fucking plebs

Hardcover masterrace
>>
>>8588998

Amazon is terrible about ordering specific versions/covers/translations, inexplicably so. Beyond PB vs HB it's potluck

Having said that, trade paperbacks are vastly superior to mass markets
>>
>>8589018
Dude, mostly nothing that isn't going to be in the top 100 sales gets a MM version: why would they bother? Do you think every book ends up pocket-sized?
>>
isbn
s
b
n
>>
>>8588998
You are an idiot, or maybe I am since I actually double checked and am responding. Either way they do have still have distinctions but not every book gets a mass market paperback version, most probably don't.
Also unless someone fucks up Paperback always means Trade Paperback.

>>8590929
Use the isbn Amazon has most versions/translations but only the popular ones show up on the first couple pages of a search.
>>
>>8588998

Only plebe books get a mass market, hence the term mass market. (Aside from Classics, which have wider appeal due to being assigned in college classes. It used to be the case that plebe books didn't get a trade edition. Now, some do. However, it is easy to pick which version you want on Amazon, provided a mass market was even printed.

I prefer trade paperbacks, but I'm not a plebe.
>>
File: plebed.jpg (57KB, 700x436px) Image search: [Google]
plebed.jpg
57KB, 700x436px
>>8589023

A. If the used book was in print while Amazon was in existence, dimensions will be included in the listing.

B. For plebe books with mass market editions, they have a way of telling if they are mass market.
>>
File: wrong dork.jpg (61KB, 689x477px) Image search: [Google]
wrong dork.jpg
61KB, 689x477px
>>8589464
wrong
>>
>>8592266
>Amazon
>use the ISBN

Yes I know, I've done that, but I've still been sent something different on more than one occasion
>>
>>8589018
kek you fucking moron. Only comes in the one size for now
>>
Mass market paperbacks usually have terrible paper quality (grey, thin and see-through), poor print quality and very small line-spacing and fonts.

I prefer 7.5" - 7.8" x ~5" trade paperbacks.
>>
>>8589137
I've only ever seen weird sizes with small press books. What's the publishing information in the front say?
>>
>>8588998
Amazon lists the dimensions of the books, Some books have a mass market paperback option, and you have to use some guesswork and be less autistic.
>>
>>8589141
This.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.