[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Mao II (+ Don Delillo general)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: den_dilollo.jpg (27KB, 261x307px) Image search: [Google]
den_dilollo.jpg
27KB, 261x307px
I finished White Noise and Libra, continuing the Dililly series with Mao II then Underworld then Zero K.

How much do I need to know about the real, historical Mao Zedong before I start?
>>
Cosmopolis best DD's 00's novel desu
>>
literally nothing
>>
>>8588204
I have no idea how you can handle that much Delillo

White Noise was a let down
>>
File: 1445295269317.gif (2MB, 198x195px) Image search: [Google]
1445295269317.gif
2MB, 198x195px
>>8588356
>White Noise was a let down
>>
>>8588331
This. But it's in between White Noise and Libra as far as being tied to historical events.
>>
>>8588517
Neat, I could deal with as much as was in Libra just fine. Even though I knew pretty much nothing about the assassination, I could look up key details afterward and the main thrust of the story was with the characters anyway.
>>
>>8588356
>>8588499

"easy" != "bad"
>>
You can open White Noise to a random page and find something great.

In fact, I will.

p. 113
>"They're not calling it the feathery plume anymore," he said, not meeting my eyes, as if to spare himself the pain of my embarrassment.
>"I already knew that."
>"They're calling it the black billowing cloud."
>"Good."
>"What's good about that?"
>"It means they're looking the thing more or less squarely in the eyes. They're on top of the situation."
>>
>>8588204
Nothing. The title is a reference to the Warhol prints.

Enjoy, senpai. It's his best novel.
>>
>>8588630
After almost all the others that preceded it plus Underworld.
>>
>>8588576
White Noise isn't easy. It just has a straightforward narrative.
>>
>>8588632
So Amazons is a better book than Mao ll. K bro.
>>
>>8588638
I said almost, and I wasn't even thinking about that pseudonymously published book that he's since disowned.
>>
>>8588621
woow people are so literal, juxtaposition with advertising wOOOw

I thought White Noise was cool and all, but theres nothing too deep in it. Being afraid of death is nothing. Most people grapple with it when they are actually dying, and usually they are too old to give a fuck anymore.
>>
Maybe I don't come here often enough, but good to see a Delillo discussion

Any similar authors like him though? He's very good at weaving complex themes into rather simple narratives
>>
>>8588672
I'd check Donald Antrim, particularly his first novel, Elect Mr Robinson for a Better World.
>>
>>8588672
OP here, also interested in answers to that question. I've been reading Dolelli alongside Infinite meme and he's been a breath of fresh air. It's nice to have a sense of how "wanky" (nothing to do with "good") various authors are and spread them out.
>>
>>8588656
>accepting death isn't a serious theme

wew lad
>>
>>8588656
White Noise also saw the postmodern world as almost dystopian. The fear of death/it's acceptance is key in transcending postmodern tropes because of consumerist society's obsession with anti-aging.
>>
The Mao II reference is to Andy warhol painting, nothing really to do with the dictator
>>
Watch the documentary on youtube.

Ignore Underworld and read Libra instead
>>
>>8588656
Lol i know what you mean. What will DeLillo come up next with? Some "Lovestory between man and woman"? lmfao. His topics are so boring.
>>
>>8588687
U can't be this dumb
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.